Deck the Lanes Contest, Post Your Entry Forum

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ms LadyDelicious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2013

In spite of not placing in the finals of the Gingerbread contest I am quite interested in all that you wonderful summoners have entered into the contest. I was looking through the original Deck the Lanes thread and saw a plethora of pictures, but I would like to start a thread dedicated to the entries and their "trials and turmoils"

I would love to hear about how you created your entry, why you decided to create such a masterpiece (or a disaster :P) and then show us the pictures you sent in.

I am sure, those of us, that didn't place are a little bit upset inside but just remember we tried, had fun and there is always next time.

The one thing that I got out of this contest is a better understanding on how hard it actually is to form those beautiful cakes, or gingerbread houses.

Here is the entry that Puregingergold, Pyro1191 and I sent in. It isn't fantabulous but its something that I am proud even though it still has some a long ways to go compared to the winners.

I will post more about our entry if the thread picks up/if people are interested. I am really curious to see others entries!

EDIT: And if any Riot members have any statements about their favorite submissions, or reasons that choose the winners/voting submissions would be amazing as well. For future reference of what to do differently, not for me specifically but in general. Interested in what exactly you look for in submissions.

GoddessShallah

01-11-2013

I will be happy to submit mine and thank you for putting a place where we can discuss it. So mine is bittersweet Lulu. To me, gingerbread themed, is something that you do like a gingerbread house. So I used my vegetarian gingerbread recipe, food colored frosting, candies because to me, gingerbread is all about frosting and candies on the house to decorate it ^_^. My Pix is white chocolate that I melted, with blotting it with pink food coloring, I actually have a whole tray of Pix's, the best one is on my submission. My cupcake'd champ came out great. I am really pleased. I did the background as frosting that I made a purple coloring with because this was the creativity that I was feeling for the contest.

Would I have loved candy cane mf? of course! My husband is very proud of me so that helps and my facebook friends are all being very supportive.

Lucidia

01-11-2013

http://sweet-dreams137.deviantart.com/#/d5q9yrx
Creation number 1
This was the entry I did by myself without my husband. Originally I wanted to make her face half standing up looking more 3D but due to complications with my royal frosting this round. It wasn't a plausible idea. She is 100% gingerbread. Decorated in frosting. I chose to outline her in black frosting simply to make everything stand out more. I liked how it looked sorta cartoony/3D even though for the most part its laying down flat. I wanted to make sure that it was noticeable she was upset so I wrote the words no next to her and the red/black lines above are supposed to represent the fumes coming off her. I just love playing Morgana which is why I really wanted to do her as on of the submissions.

http://sweet-dreams137.deviantart.com/#/d5q9xtq
Creation number 2. A duo with my husband (Demisovereign) on this one.
Okay so this one didn't turn out quite like I had wanted it too....
For starters. I wanted it to have a big Maokai surrounded by his little sapling gifts and Re-Gifted Amumu while he read them all a story. While having two of the little guys roasting marshmallows. Wellllll Maokai fell apart under pressure. So I decided to make him into a little sapling and call it Maokai it begins. As though he is just starting out. But supported by the minions regardless. But I wanted to have Amumu feel like he was among friends or his 'Kind' aka gifts. My favorite part of this has to be the fire with the roast marshmallows. As for what this whooole thing is made of.
Base=Graham crackers + royal frosting + coconut shavings
All the critters are made out of gingerbread and decorated with frosting.
Trees = Ice Cream cones + royal frosting + normal frosting + coconut shavings.
Little fort wall = Marshmallows + Royal frosting
Fire place = gingerbread rolled in sprinkles + pretzels(logs) + marshmallows on pretzel sticks. (roasted the mini marshmallows with a lighter)
Book = Graham crackers wrapped in gingerbread + pretzel for the binding + royal frosting
Not sure if I am for getting anything but yeah.

I was pretty content with how they turned out. Just wish they would have gone a bit more smoothly. Sad neither made it to the voting but what can you do but move on. At least it was fun.

Lilybet

01-11-2013

We've all seen mine: The epic snowball fight of busyness!

All in all, it took me at least 2 hours per cookie, painting icing on with paint brushes, and then creating the backdrop out of cake, and graham crackers covered in marshmallows.

I worked without stopping once I started, and I saved my cookie cutter forms to use again later. All around, it took me a few days to get the cookie cutter forms right, assemble the materials, and with a lot of stress on the part of my poor fiance who I kept up all night while I baked and assembled and painted, the actual construction took about 14 hours. I wanted to get it all done in one go so my cat wouldn't end up knocking it down or eating any of it.

Kai Talakki

01-11-2013

I totally like the idea of seeing/hearing about people's entries! There were so many amazing works that didn't make it in.

The entry we submitted was an almost two-foot long Proving Grounds. We used two sheet cakes that were carved to the shape of the bridge as a base, then used graham crackers for the floor tiles (with more carving to get the raised levels and cutting of the graham crackers). Two graham crackers were carved into a rounded shape and attached to create the spawn. After that, gingerbread cookies were made for the walls. This was all attached using icing.

The turrets and bases for the Nexus/Inhibitors was made using gum paste, colored a light brown to fit the gingerbread/graham cracker feel, with details added using food coloring that was painted on using toothpicks (though the black lines I actually had a food coloring marker that I was using). The brush and the Inhibitor/Nexus gems were made using fondant. These things were all attached using melted white chocolate. Green sugar was sprinkled around in reference to the moss that's all over the map.

Not the most detailed looking, but we tried to fit the theme and spent three days working on it on and off. It was loads of fun to do, and was the first time we had done anything like this.

Ms LadyDelicious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessShallah View Post
I will be happy to submit mine and thank you for putting a place where we can discuss it. So mine is bittersweet Lulu.I did the background as frosting that I made a purple coloring with because this was the creativity that I was feeling for the contest.

Would I have loved candy cane mf? of course! My husband is very proud of me so that helps and my facebook friends are all being very supportive.
Thank you, and no problem thought that it would be a nice way of going about talking and seeing other entries we might not normally see. I love your lulu, but I really adore Pix the cupcake. haha Pix looks so confused and cute!! Good work my dear. You are welcome to add me in game, I would like to do a game with you sometime. You really seem like a fun person!

Who wouldn't want candy cane mf? I mean hhaha I would die for her :P Just keep up the good work, there is always next time.

Thanks for your response

Ms LadyDelicious

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybet View Post
We've all seen mine: The epic snowball fight of busyness!

All in all, it took me at least 2 hours per cookie, painting icing on with paint brushes, and then creating the backdrop out of cake, and graham crackers covered in marshmallows.

I worked without stopping once I started, and I saved my cookie cutter forms to use again later. All around, it took me a few days to get the cookie cutter forms right, assemble the materials, and with a lot of stress on the part of my poor fiance who I kept up all night while I baked and assembled and painted, the actual construction took about 14 hours. I wanted to get it all done in one go so my cat wouldn't end up knocking it down or eating any of it.
Who couldn't forget your cookies? I really do enjoy your creative cookies makes me all happy inside haha. My favorite cookie not going to lie is the Silent Night cookie. I love the colors you used on her.

Thanks for your post, and good luck next time as well!! (if you decide to try again)

Great work

Ms LadyDelicious

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidia View Post
http://sweet-dreams137.deviantart.com/#/d5q9yrx
Creation number 1
This was the entry I did by myself without my husband. Originally I wanted to make her face half standing up looking more 3D but due to complications with my royal frosting this round. It wasn't a plausible idea. She is 100% gingerbread. Decorated in frosting. I chose to outline her in black frosting simply to make everything stand out more. I liked how it looked sorta cartoony/3D even though for the most part its laying down flat. I wanted to make sure that it was noticeable she was upset so I wrote the words no next to her and the red/black lines above are supposed to represent the fumes coming off her. I just love playing Morgana which is why I really wanted to do her as on of the submissions.

I was pretty content with how they turned out. Just wish they would have gone a bit more smoothly. Sad neither made it to the voting but what can you do but move on. At least it was fun.
OH MY GOODNESS! That Morgana love it. And the little gingerbread men haha

You did a good job with your frosting and creation. My favies is your first creation but your second is wonderful as well.

btw morgana is fun to play, I usually play lux mid. She is my def favorite mid champ. Maybe I shall be graced with a game from you in the future!!

Thanks for your post as well

GoddessShallah

01-11-2013

I will add you next time I am on and ty I look forward to playing with you!

Lucidia

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms LadyDelicious View Post
OH MY GOODNESS! That Morgana love it. And the little gingerbread men haha

You did a good job with your frosting and creation. My favies is your first creation but your second is wonderful as well.

btw morgana is fun to play, I usually play lux mid. She is my def favorite mid champ. Maybe I shall be graced with a game from you in the future!!

Thanks for your post as well
Well thank you :3 Yeah Morgana is usually my main. I have been outta playing for awhile so I am a bit rusty. Need people to train me in playing again. xD But I would love to play a game sometime. As long as you don't hate me for my rusty-ness. :P