Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

That Other Guy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-10-2013

While I still think a mirrored field option for purple team would be the best solution I'm gonna repost my previous idea(s), this time with screenshots to illustrate my point.

The locked camera is NOT in a centralized position due to the camera angle, as demonstrated in my first screenshot showing the range of Cho'Gath's Q. The camera position is good anyway if you're on the blue team, but if you're on the purple side you can't see far enough to place your skillshots at max distance and people can hit you with skillshots without even appearing on your screen.

Therefore I propose that we be allowed to choose what position we lock our camera in relative to our champion's location, if necessary by a separate keybind, or at least move the camera lock to a position that actually is centralized, similar to my second screenshot.

boourns

UI Designer

01-10-2013
77 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfire View Post
hey boo man you seem to be putting a lot of thought into this ty ty. I wanna just point at something as an idea, you ever played with the bloodline champions form of locked camera? it moves with the cursor. Its a free game check it out.
I wasnt really a fan at first, but both my buddies who played it were all about it.

Now that I think about it, that game has player movement with keys and abilities all with mouse. Might not correlate very well but if toned down to maybe 2/3 what it is, I think it would help locked screeners a lot.

tldr. basically if you move the cursor to the left side of the screen, the view slides over that way a bit. Bring cursor back to center, view recenters. Moves center of screen towards the cursor a bit so you can always see what you're aiming at. but not permanently.
Yeah, we've talked about BLC in a previous thread. Unfortunately, I think this only works because you're not using the mouse to move and only to target things. If you start mixing in movement and targeting I think there's too much movement of the camera and it becomes disorienting. Think clicking around yourself to move in lane and then targeting a minion far in front of you. This rhythm of back an forth happens a lot in the early game and with a BLC style camera view it would ping-pong your camera back and forth if you use your mouse to move. If you don't use the mouse to move this is much smoother because you leave your view centered around the minion wave and never really click around your champion. Alien Swarm also does something similar IIRC. I like how it feels in these contexts, but it doesn't work as well for our control scheme.

boourns

UI Designer

01-10-2013
78 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Other Guy View Post
While I still think a mirrored field option for purple team would be the best solution I'm gonna repost my previous idea(s), this time with screenshots to illustrate my point.

The locked camera is NOT in a centralized position due to the camera angle, as demonstrated in my first screenshot showing the range of Cho'Gath's Q. The camera position is good anyway if you're on the blue team, but if you're on the purple side you can't see far enough to place your skillshots at max distance and people can hit you with skillshots without even appearing on your screen.

Therefore I propose that we be allowed to choose what position we lock our camera in relative to our champion's location, if necessary by a separate keybind, or at least move the camera lock to a position that actually is centralized, similar to my second screenshot.
Good idea, we could try to do this. I am wary though because you're actually going to reduce visibility on the blue side and shifting it to the purple side. So it might make both sides feel equally claustrophobic! We've experimented a little with making the perspective less extreme as well to reduce the difference in view. I wouldn't consider this a complete solution to the problems people are having it, it's kind of a band-aid with negative side effects. We would probably do this in conjunction with some of the other things discussed in this thread.

atatatatatata

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-10-2013

It never occurred to me that playing from top team gives you a vision disadvantage since I went for scourge as much as possible when I started playing because dark green was my favorite color X__x

a lurker above

01-10-2013

The traditional argument on not allowing the camera to flip is that the map doesn't have a back. Riot can release a champ every 2-3 weeks, but doesn't have time to model the back side of a rock? This one's just lazy, and the idea that the audience can't adjust to the flip is insulting.

Another argument is that the problem only affects a small portion of the user base. How many users just couldn't adjust to the camera and gave up? I was close to it until I discovered TT and later Dom. I generally don't play SR any more unless dragged by friends - the other two maps don't require me to learn a skill I'm not interested in learning.

Even solving the visibility angle, the perspective on the camera makes fighting someone above you a completely different deal than someone below. With a centered camera, a nid spear goes off the bottom screen, but doesn't even reach the top. This makes learning ranges a pain, and I think favors blue team, since (in my unresearched opinion) people are going to learn the "up" range and cheat themselves on "down". I guess fixing that doesn't sell skins, but nudging it in a little would help a bit.

It's disheartening that nothing at all has been done on this. There's tons of things that could help: Flipped camera, BLC drifty camera, adjustable center camera, less angled camera, rotating the map to play left to right even. But nothing has even been tried. My favorite solution is the BLC one. You say it'd be confusing - have you tried it? The camera is just a couple vectors, how hard is it to prototype?

Rowlii

01-14-2013

I don't really want to trawl through 58 pages of posts, but I am lost as to why a HUD flip option has not been implemented? There is an option to flip the minimap, so I cannot see why having an option to flip the HUD would be so much more difficult. It seems (from a player point of view) an option that should be there. That way, it's up to the player if they want to have it at the bottom or the top, which adds a lot of flexibility.

I have read that "Only a small percentage of our community use locked camera", that sounds like you're basically saying suck it up and play how you're uncomfortable playing. A simple HUD flip in the options would make a lot (even though it's somewhat of a minority in your eyes) of people happy, including myself.

I hate the unlocked camera, and after trying to play with it for a few games, it hasn't moved up much on my popularity list. I just play Co-op vs AI at the moment because if I end up getting put with the purple team I feel at a huge disadvantage to my team and I end up dying loads because of not getting the same vision I would on the blue team.

kxkid17

01-15-2013

If you think about it, why are most people even playing with the camera unlocked in the first place? I could see a few people doing if they are already used to that play style, but the entire reason people are switching to unlocked is because this issue basically forces them to. Why would you switch unless you felt you were at a disadvantage because your visibility was so limited?
What about having an option to make the HUD on the bottom translucent and allowing you to click right through it?

yobweja

01-16-2013

@boourns
The camera snap that occurs when you respawn can be disabled by setting "DisableCameraSnapOnRespawn=1" in Game.cfg
is there a command like this to prevent the camera from centering when I hit Y??

I never understood why it centers it before locking... if i wanted that, i would hit spacebar first...

kch6996

01-16-2013

always wonder why they cannot just do a flip camera option so both teams have the same view.

Rowlii

01-16-2013

^ There is an answer to that somewhere, I remember reading it, I think...

Edit: #19 on the first few posts refers to it.. ish.

The fact the player isn't really "centered" with locked camera (it's more like 30% of the way up) paired with the HUD being in the way, it really does leave locked camera, purple team players at a huge disadvantage.