Spreadsheet of Rune Prices and Analysis

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Laserwolf

11-30-2009

Hello,
First of all, I'm sorry if this was already done and I am too late to provide something useful (I don't normally check the forums). Otherwise, I hope some people find this spreadsheet useful to help them purchase their runes (once again, sorry for being late on this, but it took a while and the holidays got in the way). Let me explain briefly:

I wanted a way to compare between rune types and different tiers. I also wanted to see which type of rune was more effective at giving me a certain stat. To do this, I copied all the IP costs and stat values of each rune into this spreadsheet (organized by desired stat using the tabs on the bottom). Then, I calculated what I call "IP Efficiency" by dividing the IP cost by the specific stat value, essentially giving you the IP cost for exactly "1" of that stat. This can be seen as the reciprocal of the "bang for your buck", which would be the stat value per 1 IP. I decided not to use the latter method since you would then be staring at ever decreasing decimals, and no one wants that :-p. So the LOWER the IP Efficiency, the better (you are paying less per stat point).
Some might argue that all that doesn't matter since the higher tiers give more total stats. This was simply a way for me to compare within a tier to choose the best way to obtain a desired stat (also, as you can notice from taking a quick glance between tiers, higher tiers are more and more INefficient; it costs a LOT more for a little more of that stat). In order to also address this issue, I included the total value of the stat you could get for each rune and the total IP cost ("total" being 9 runes for regular runes, 3 for Quintessences). I know that people don't always stack runes like that (and in some cases there is a cap), but it was the best way I could think of to compare how much you are getting if you go to a higher tier.

This is all neatly (at least I think so) organized in the spreadsheet. Other thoughts: I was thinking of also including a column for each "per level" stat showing both the level that you would have to reach in order to make it worth getting over the static stat value rune, and also how much total stat you would get at 18, and the corresponding IP efficiency. If there is not enough interest, I won't bother :-p. Let me know what you think! Thank you.

Windswept

11-30-2009

TY TY you jsut saved me an hour or so of number crunching... I dont particularly care for Ip efficiency. BUT heres a great tip.

I am lvl 13. gotta be lvl 20 to buy tier 3 runes, well I buy 5 of the T2 runes (costs 80ip ea) and then i turn them into a T3 which i can USE. Its kinda cool. Completely random but I get lucky often.

Riot aBhorsen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

eSports Coordinator

12-01-2009

Apologies if i'm not understanding as i'm new to the game. Would i be right in concluding from this that +Ability Power has the highest potential increase from Runes? Closely followed by + Magic Penetration?

I hope so as this would tie in nicely with my current build.

Benoit

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2009

Nice post.

beefy

12-10-2009

Wow, thanks a lot! Saves a lot of time!

Piranha Petunia

01-06-2010

I think you're figuring the value of the /lvl runes wrong. You need to do one of 2 things:

A) Multiply the rune value by 18

Code:
IPCost/(RuneValue*18)
B) Divide the quotient by 18
Code:
(IPCost/RuneValue)/18

As it is right now I am receiving a IP/Point Value of 2411.76 IP/level. The rune does not cost me 43411.68 IP.

The /level runes actually have a better cost to value ratio than the static ones.

Warrrrax

01-07-2011

Consider that level 2 runes are an awful idea.

There are so many trash runes that combining to upgrade is an awful idea.

Much better to stick with tier 1 runes, then plow thru and hit 20, then buy the tier 3 ones.

Feliandix

Recruiter

05-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
TY TY you jsut saved me an hour or so of number crunching... I dont particularly care for Ip efficiency. BUT heres a great tip.

I am lvl 13. gotta be lvl 20 to buy tier 3 runes, well I buy 5 of the T2 runes (costs 80ip ea) and then i turn them into a T3 which i can USE. Its kinda cool. Completely random but I get lucky often.
You're better off saving your IP until you're level 20. Wasting 400 IP for 1 T3 rune isn't worth ending up with a 205 IP T3 rune, or ending up with a useless rune like Greater Mark of Focus (0.16% Cooldown Reduction).

uhhwateva

06-25-2011

This thread is two years old.

Why.

Lord Wevilspore

12-07-2011

Here is another spreadsheet that analyses the effectiveness of various tier 3 runes against each other. IP cost was not included as this is more a "best in category" analysis. I also compared static to gradual growth runes and showed at what level the growth rune exceeded the static rune. The last column compared the quintessence against the best mark, seal, or glyph in that category; the higher the percentage, the more valuable the quintessence in that category.