Would you mind if the next champion had no lore at all?

Yes, that sucks. A great story draws me to games. 2,583 76.44%
No, it's stupid. I'm not playing this MOBA for the story. 796 23.56%
Voters: 3379. You may not vote on this poll

[COMMUNITY POLL] If the next champion was released without lore, would you care?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Micalas

01-08-2013

I would be sad. I'm not getting the full course meal of lore I used to, but table scraps are better than starving.

KiteAzure

01-08-2013

Lores really do draw me into a champion, it makes them interesting. I mean if every champion was just a blob that does everything other champions do this game wouldn't be interesting.

Melancholy Exile

01-08-2013

Would I care: Yes

Would it matter: No

I'm someone who cares a great deal about the lore behind League of Legends but, to be quite honest, it really feels as though Riot have started releasing champions more towards the DotA 2 paradigm who just 'exist' but aren't really part of the world. Thresh doesn't have any particular reason for being or, offer us any new insight into the nature of the Shadow Isles, and Nami only really served to add a few more details to the Solari/Lunari conflict, rather than making her an interesting character in her own right.

Vi was a success because she actually had interpersonal relations from the start and built up aspects of Piltoverian society we knew nothing about before. Her lore is hardly the most detailed but at the very least it actually establishes her as part of the world. We know where Vi is from, what made her who she is and have a pretty good base on which to judge how she gets along with the people around her.

Given how lacking Thresh and Nami's backgrounds are, I honestly wouldn't have found the characters any less appealing if we'd never been exposed to them. I would feel their absence, certainly, but I really don't see the point in them bothering if they're not actually going to give us something which makes it easy to both relate to the character and see how they fit into the society of Valoran.

Tuesti7c

01-08-2013

Champions have lore now?

Zeunchainn

01-08-2013

I don't care about the lore much but if there not any lore at all it will bother me like :
"Wtf is this champ?"
"Where did he come from?"
"Is it a good or bad guy?"

Dactylogram

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeRaptorr View Post
no the lore is stupid at this point all the stupid cliches reused.

-so and so was raised in a nice family
-noxus attacked and killed their mother and father!
- so and so sweared revenge and and picked up a blade and decided to join league
- also they have a relationship with this champ!

repeat
in addition to this one reason i dont like the lore is because it isn't prevalent in the game with champion interactions. For example, in League, when a garen kills an enemy lux, you don't get some quote like "I'm sorry sister, but I had to kill you for Demacia." That's not a great example, but the point I'm making is that the lore is not really alluded to in champion interactions, so it doesn't feel as important.

Now comare this to dota2. If you play dragon rider and kill Lina Dragon Rider has a quote saying "That's what you get for enslaving dragons." And this quote makes sense because one of Lina's abilities is called Dragon Slave. So if someone played both Dragon Rider and Lina, they'd understand the comment.

In Lol, you have a bunch of text-based lore that doesn't attract much attention because it isn't referenced.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

01-09-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Well, if all goes to plan..

Zazparoni

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2013

what does that mean?

The Sterg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Cue ominous music.

TheSoulPunisher

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Stop beating around the bush, Parrot >=(