Should the maximum camera zoom out be increased?

Yes! (Any additional reasoning?) 795 86.98%
No... (Why not?) 119 13.02%
Voters: 914. You may not vote on this poll

Camera zoom out is insufficient. Let me zoom out more? Reasoning included.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sporq

01-08-2013

One of the biggest things I would like to see (as long as there is a red around) is changing the position of the camera lock to be slightly lower than your champion. Using Caitlyn as an example, because she's who I first got frustrated with, with camera locked her Q goes to about the top edge of the screen, but gets cut off on the bottom about halfway in. Now I know I can freemove the camera down to see better, but it would be nice if the centering of it by default showed more towards the center of the range circle.

Unfortunately I'm at work so I can't take screenshots or make fancy diagrams to illustrate my point.

Hasuobs

01-08-2013

I agree. But I strongly advise you to l2p with an unlocked camera ASAP.

Prime

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-08-2013

I believe Riot should give blue AND purple side the option to change the map around so they can both view it from either the blue OR purple side if they choose.

Reason: I personally do 10-20% better when playing on the blue side. When I first started this game, I can guarantee you I did 100% better on the blue side and after playing 2500 games, brought the percantage down to 10-20%. Ofc blue side still allows the AD to get double golems, that hasn't been an issue for me.

Solution: Give both sides the option to flip the map.

How this will help: Purple side will be able to see as much as Blue side vision wise. This allows both teams to feel more equal. The reason Blue side should have this option is maybe someone out of the 40 million people who play this game do better on the purple side. Forum QQ'ers then won't complain saying they do better on the purple side and have a disadvantage when playing on the blue side.

What does Riot have to do to fix this?: Just copy/paste and flip the image.

When we play the game right now, we can't see one side of the turrets and trees for a reason, they are completely blank on the other side.

Hige

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-08-2013

playing certain champions on the purple team is just HELL, HELL!!!!! playing syndra as purple team is so goddam awful I would rather not play her at all, kog can be a pain too and long range champs in general. Skillshots are harder to calculate too since distance seems to be shorter on purple side or longer I can't remember it's just odd and different, practicing against bots won't really help since you're never on the purple side so yeah... Something should be done about this since it's been a complain since beta days, and I'm talking about some sort of refocus not a microscopical buff to minions or turrets.

Void2258

01-08-2013

For an example of how zoom out ability can make or break a game IN COMBINATION WITH OTHER FACTORS, see the Supreme Commander series.

In SC1, they tailored the AI to act intelligently and added tons of automation to make the massive zoom out ability actually useful and fun. In SC2, they threw out the entire control scheme in favor of a more standard RTS manual control of everything click fest and in the process made the zooming completely useless.

Zoom level is an inherent and very important part of the game. If you change it you have to change a ton of other things.

That being said, I still think that League is built for a zoom level farther out than we actually play at :P

Fallen Strider

01-08-2013

I completely agree with the amount of vision you have, and it being a problem. There is a big difference in the feel and vision when switching between resolutions, I play League in 2560x1440 on my desktop monitor (28") and 1600x900 on my laptop(17"). Needless to say it is a huge difference and on my laptop there is a definite difference in view.

Also, the views are skewed when comparing lanes from Blue and Purple, for instance, Blue bot has an advantage when using longer ranged champions such as cait compared to when purple would use cait. Blue mid also has a slight advantage with long range champions. This is because of how much you actually see due to the ui getting in the way and the FOV. (And before anyone says it, yes I do change the size of the ui to mitigate the view deficit)

GenActive13

01-08-2013

Rotate the map so the teams are left and right (like the 3vs3 map).

Problem solved.

Archalyus

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
You should attach some screenshots, because I'm looking at it right now in those two resolutions and you should actually see more of the map horizontally and the same vertically at 1360x768 when fully zoomed out. Pretty sure vertical field of view doesn't change when switching resolutions, if you can reproduce it changing that's a bug we would want to fix!
Speaking of the map.. Can you add a option that moves the map to the top right corner? Shouldn't be too hard to do since you already added a option that moves it to the bottom left.. Or at least a way to just move all the UI around? I'm more used to the map being in the top of the screen and that's where my eyes look to the most. (Not just because of the angle, I've just played alot of games that have the map in the top) So I don't look at the map too often (if at all in laning phase) resulting in low map awareness.

This isn't off topic either since it would help those on purple side as well. Plus it would be interesting to have the UI normal on blue and then have it swapped to the top side of the screen on purple side as a normal thing. And then maybe have a option to swap it back like how there's an option to have "legacy text" (which I'm guessing is the old look, given the word "legacy" and how basic it is)

It would just be nice to have these two options. It's a decent alternative to changing the zoom since Riot doesn't want to do it. Maybe it would've been more "appropriate" to make a new thread for this but there's a small chance to have a red respond. And it seems like you're active on this thread so.. Yeah.

EDIT: Just realized Prime essentially said the exact same thing. Besides the whole "put the map in the top right corner" (although it would probably just do that anyway) Not sure if I should delete my post or not because of that. I guess I should keep it up since it gives my reason for wanting to flip the map. Oh well.

boourns

UI Designer

01-09-2013
11 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void2258 View Post
For an example of how zoom out ability can make or break a game IN COMBINATION WITH OTHER FACTORS, see the Supreme Commander series.

In SC1, they tailored the AI to act intelligently and added tons of automation to make the massive zoom out ability actually useful and fun. In SC2, they threw out the entire control scheme in favor of a more standard RTS manual control of everything click fest and in the process made the zooming completely useless.

Zoom level is an inherent and very important part of the game. If you change it you have to change a ton of other things.

That being said, I still think that League is built for a zoom level farther out than we actually play at :P
That feeling of mild claustrophobia or paranoia is deliberate if you read Zileas's post that I linked earlier.

MrJatt

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
That feeling of mild claustrophobia or paranoia is deliberate if you read Zileas's post that I linked earlier.
Was Zileas's logic that only purple team gets this mild claustrophobia or paranoia? Since their "forward" range of view is limited, while blue side's "forward" range of view is significantly larger.

I'm no designer but I don't need to be one to see the clear fault in this logic.