Creative Design AMA - Vi, the Piltover Enforcer

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hunter Zolomon

01-09-2013

-What does she think of Viktor and Zaun in general?
-What does she think of Ezreal?
-Is she afraid of Void monsters, or does she more just have a general "hey, it's a bigger target for me to punch" attitude?
-Does she take hand-to-hand combat training to deal with people who are strong and durable enough to be able to tank her punches and hurt her in return?
-Has she dealt with Shaco at all?
-Does she care about mitigating collateral damage, or is she more of an "act now, clean up the mess later" type of mindset?

The Vikachu

01-09-2013

Does she get mad when other people pun off of her name?
Which champion(s) would she like to brawl with the most?
Has she ever lost her temper and given Caitlyn a black eye? Because I would find that hilarious.
Has she ever thought about making a full suit of armor to complement her gloves?

Harrow

Associate Creative Designer

01-09-2013
9 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBuzzJack View Post
Has she ever tried punching Rammus' shell?
Of course she has. Rammus taunted her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderweiss View Post
What are Vi's thoughts on jax?
I think she'd appreciate his kinda flippant sense of humor, as evidenced by the lamppost. She'd want to take him down a notch, though. Anyone who calls themselves "The Champ" needs a punch in the craw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOxBOY View Post
this is going to be a loaded question...but has vi ever encountered goblins? what is her stance on other races and finally who or what does she consider as an honorable opponent? i know the goblin question is a little strange but i really love goblins in fantasie settings and wish that oneday we may see a goblin champ(rip goblin shopkeeper).
Don't really have defined "goblins" in Valoran...she doesn't really live by a code of honor, so to speak. She'll fight anyone of any race who picks a fight with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swak View Post
Loving these AMAs personally.I love to get insight into the characters of the champions

Anyway, Harrow, how would Vi feel about Darius and on a different level, Viktor?

Darius because of philosophy simmilarities ("With overwhelming force" comes to mind) but personality conflicts, and Viktor since Vi has experienced firsthand (In a rather crude fashon) the benefits of hextech augmentation that Viktor strives for in his glorious evolution.
- She would think that Darius takes himself waaaaaayyyyyyy too seriously, though she'd appreciate his no-nonsense approach to his problems. Still, she'd have a hard time getting past the fact that he's killed a ton of people...Vi's not a military sort of person.

- Viktor unnerves most people in Piltover, and I don't think Vi is an exception. She'd proud of the gauntlets she's created, but she sees them as creations, not something she'd want to permanently alter herself with. If Vi was interested in bio-technology, she'd have moved to Zaun, but I think she sees Viktor as someone who's close to the line of losing his humanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLlamas View Post
What happens when Vi's unstoppable force meets Olaf, the ulting immovable object?
She'd punch him, he wouldn't move, she'd punch him again, he still wouldn't move, and then maybe on the last punch he'd fall over. If not...I dunno, try punching again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven Score View Post
What are Vi's thoughts on the other city-states? I imagine she'd be quite amused by all the stuffy Demacians going on about justice and Noxians being all dark and serious.
Yeah, I think that's pretty much her views on those folks. I think the place she'd be most interested in visiting would be Bilgewater - she'd probably find a lot of kindred spirits there, and she probably heard stories of the place from traveling outlaws who came through Piltover in her pre-cop days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53papers View Post
What does she think of Ezreal, Heimerdinger, and Janna?
Does she have the ability to use magic?
Would she like of respect the Noxus lifestyle/ideal?
Said before that she'd see Ezreal as an obnoxious kid brother who'd be annoying to deal with sometimes but she'd ultimately like the guy for his carefree attitude.
Heimerdinger is kind of distant from her, and seems eccentric to almost everyone. But she has enough understanding of technology to respect that he's a genius.
Janna is kind of alien to Vi, I think. I don't think they'd cross paths much; Janna is aloof and seems otherworldly.

Nope, no magical talent. Just scrappy mechanical abilities.

I think she proved in the mines that she sometimes sees value in helping people just because they're people, which is fairly anti-Noxian. And as flippant as she acts about her job in law enforcement, I think she genuinely wants to serve and protect, so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryptomine View Post
Ooh, time for a bit of character analysis musings...

Okay, so, the most intriguing personality aspect of Vi is certainly the switch of con turned cop, but this is also where motivations must be pretty narrowly defined. Simply put, I fail to see the logic behind such an abrupt and, more importantly, broad heroic turn. Having grown up with few options herself, Vi understands the desperation that leads to crime and how society can create it. She is probably in a better position to empathize with most criminals than any other.

Now looking at her turning point, Vi becomes disgusted with the other gang member's lack of empathy towards bystanders caught in the middle, and cuts ties with the gang. This is fine, this is understandable, but how does this lead her to preying on other criminals? She appears to disapprove of the callousness of the criminals rather than any moral indignation against the crime itself. So then why does she seem to turn and prey (as both vigilante and cop) on all criminals; even going so far as to steal from them for herself?

A person such as her wouldn't hate the crime, only the criminals. In short, someone like Vi has an agenda. Personally, I see two main motivations that would drive her in this situation: she would either want to help others escape the same desperation that forced her into such a life; or she has a very specific person or group in mind that she would very much like to see reduced to a red paste. For the former motivation, taking to the streets and punching and stealing your way through the criminal underworld does nothing to help those on a similar life path as her to find another way in life.

So the latter it is. This means there would have to be an individual or gang whose actions directly conflict with Vi's morals; morals which, as a reminder, would not be as simple as 'stealing is bad' for someone like her. While we have no hint to whom her 'nemesis' would be, her former gang is of course the first and most logical choice. Putting that aside for now though, this also means that someone like Vi would be relatively uninterested in most other criminals who haven't violated her moral code.

I'm curious why, then, Vi would be depicted as uniformly caring about catching and beating up all criminals? And by extension, why would Vi tolerate working with Caitlyn on anything that didn't directly further Vi's agenda? What am I not seeing here, I wonder?
I think she came to see that for a lot of criminals, crime went beyond surviving on the margins into just wanting to take more than you'd worked for and not caring about who got hurt along the way. By sticking to preying on criminals, she knew for sure that she was taking from people who'd already essentially signed up to live by the rules of this game - if you steal stuff, you can't really feel it's that unjust if your stuff gets stolen. It's surviving by doing what she's good at without hurting those who are just trying to get by in an honest way; she wouldn't pick on the petty thief who steals money for food, she'd go for people who style themselves "career criminals". Also, by this time she knew the rules and methods of semi-organized crime, which made raiding them much easier for her. And she'd get a kick out of seeing the looks of indignation on the faces of the cowards who left her in the mine.

This is just one interpretation, though. Vi herself would just kinda shrug if you asked her to dig deep into her moral and emotional drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSRS View Post
How does VI like her tea?

Where does she live, at the police headquarters?

Does VI celebrate her Birthday?

How would VI most want to celebrate her birthday? Mass building demolition?

Thanks for Running this AMA!
- Tea is for sissies in big dumb hats.
- Yeah, I think Caitlyn would've arranged quarters for her. She used to live in safehouses that she'd have to abandon when they became less...safe, so stability is a change for her.
- Nope. Doesn't know when it is.
- I think she'd want everyone to shut up about her birthday, followed by having a work day with extra collateral damage, wrapped up with drinks with some of her less stuffy fellow cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirana Arashi View Post
Another question :

Do Vi and Soraka know each other? What do they(or would they) think of each other?
I don't think they'd have much reason to talk, no. She might see her as that weird, naive girl who talks about the stars and sometimes heals her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerensky287 View Post
>viemail.exe

Dear Vi,

How do you type with punching gloves on?

Sincerely,
Anonymous
DELETED.

Zerglinator

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
DELETED.
Best AMA NA.

NotBuzzJack

01-09-2013

What does Vi think of Rumble?

If you asked her what it was like being polymorphed by Lulu, what would she say?

Does Nocturne frighten her at all? You know being a living nightmare and all.

What's her opinion on Yi's attire?

How does Sona's music make her feel?

Ask Gragas

01-09-2013

Does Vi like Graggy? If not, tell 'er she's gettin' some 'nyway. Don't care what she thinks, she'll be in the fembro club!

AntiTcb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2013

Would Vi give Amumu some self-confidence advice?

Has Vi ever traveled to Ionia? What would she think of say, Irelia or Master Yi?

What's her opinion about Riven? Seems like they'd share some similarities, being sort of the "out of touch of their origins" kind of people.

Arance

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
I think she came to see that for a lot of criminals, crime went beyond surviving on the margins into just wanting to take more than you'd worked for and not caring about who got hurt along the way. By sticking to preying on criminals, she knew for sure that she was taking from people who'd already essentially signed up to live by the rules of this game - if you steal stuff, you can't really feel it's that unjust if your stuff gets stolen. It's surviving by doing what she's good at without hurting those who are just trying to get by in an honest way; she wouldn't pick on the petty thief who steals money for food, she'd go for people who style themselves "career criminals". Also, by this time she knew the rules and methods of semi-organized crime, which made raiding them much easier for her. And she'd get a kick out of seeing the looks of indignation on the faces of the cowards who left her in the mine.

This is just one interpretation, though. Vi herself would just kinda shrug if you asked her to dig deep into her moral and emotional drives.
But even by stealing from thieves, it is the innocent populace who still suffers the most. That seems like it would be something she'd have a hard time reconciling-- if she had ever thought it through that far. I could see this realization and guilt possibly lead even to her partnership with Caitlyn.

(Although I'm still skeptical of Vi coming to think of all non strictly survival-based crimes and criminals as going too far, there really isn't anything for me to discuss or question there for now.)

About that partnership... While people with wildly different attitudes and methods can certainly work well together, it is entirely contingent on one thing: their goals must align. Cait and Vi's goals seem to be the same on the surface, but underneath I wonder how compatible they really are. Caitlyn appears to be focused on upholding the law because it is the law; its a nice, straight-forward and blind (in multiple ways) philosophy. Vi on the other hand seems to operate not on law but on morals; which for her is apparently "don't harm people, unless they really deserve it"-- it's both simpler and infinitely more complex than following the law. But the real question is how can a partnership based on these contrasting principles last? I could see it fracturing very easily and permanently in the right situation; such as what to do with the alluded criminal stealing to eat.

Do I have a question here? Dunno, maybe? Either way diving deep and putting personalities under a microscope here is a fun exercise for me.

Isysar

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerensky287 View Post
>viemail.exe

Dear Vi,

How do you type with punching gloves on?

Sincerely,
Anonymous
Best. Comment. Ever. Strong Bad ftw.

Cyraknoss

01-09-2013

There's no arguing that Vi has some emotional issues hidden beneath the surface, being twice abandoned will do that to anyone. In general people with a past like Vi's and such a projection of a strong shell tend to have less inner strength. An example would be Vi's reaction to being abandoned by her gang. She's so devastated by it she doesn't just cut ties with her gang, she cut ties with the entire criminal underworld. She retreated into solitude and attempted to prove her strength by preying on the kind of people who'd hurt her.

This begs the question, could some part of Vi have latched onto Caitlyn because Caitlyn is a shining example of the kind of truly strong person Vi wants to be?