All the hate on Riot.

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TAScientist

01-08-2013

people tend to be much more vocal about things they dislike than things they're happy or satisfied with, so this isn't a surprise at all

Sporq

01-08-2013

@WhattayaBrian

Did your forum title change? I swear it used to be longer but I can't remember exactly what it was.

Captain Youl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-08-2013

TRUNDLE SKIN WHERe?

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

01-08-2013
3 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporq View Post
@WhattayaBrian

Did your forum title change? I swear it used to be longer but I can't remember exactly what it was.
Nope.
Engineer since day one.

Asylum Lux

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporq View Post
@WhattayaBrian

I think it was something like "Fields of Justice Imagineer Extraordinaire".

It should be.

Anymeese

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
This about sums it up.

That said, it's much more useful to us when we have calm, collected discussions with you guys, as opposed to rants. And it's also really important to understand that while we do love getting feedback, sometimes the popular decision isn't actually the correct one, and we have to say, "We hear your feedback, and we appreciate the way you stated it, but this is what we're going to do anyway." These are often the hardest decisions to make because it's usually a matter of you guys not having all the information we do.

So, to reiterate, it's not about not raging because we "don't deserve it" (whether or not we do), but rather about not raging because it's the fastest way to get your opinions and views to the people that make the decisions that can assuage your concerns. It's for your benefit.
The only thing that bothers me from a Communication standpoint is the inconsistency with free champ rotation and sales posts. Sometimes we get them 24 hours ahead and other times they're posted the moment they go live. I wish there was a nice... idk, 3 hour window? That they will be posted in 99% of the time, unless something comes up of course. Ex. 15-12 hours before the new stuff goes live.

Other than that, you get a +1 support from me Riot has taught me a LOT about community management and how to be official. I'm 18 and have been a community manager at a VERY small indie company for several years now and I can immediately see how my posts have improved from before I started playing LoL. Thanks for being a good role model of a company

PS don't STOP being a good role model of a company *coughblizzardcough*...

Jixson

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

01-08-2013

Quote:
Well, part of it is lessons learned. We've been bitten hard by revealing too much too early (Magma Chamber anyone?). I can guarantee you that we want to reveal all the cool things to you, but we need to be absolutely sure we're ready, or we're going to face lots of mismanaged expectations.

And part of it is that we simply didn't have a lot of information to share with you years ago. These days, we have a large focus on collecting as much data as we can in order to make more informed decisions. That is forcing us to answer new questions, like how can we share this information with all of you? How much can we share legally? In each different region?

What are the ramifications of player expectations if we share that information? Information is extremely nuanced to interpret, which is why we have guys whose entire careers and specializations are about gathering and interpreting data.

It's not an easy problem, and I certainly don't have an answer.
The biggest issues seem to stem from poor marketing decisions(recently at least) and a lack of information on that front. Season 3 changes(basically Black Cleaver) are a problem, but stuff you can work around, and devs still tend to talk about it, if it is a reasonable discussion.

Marketing talking has and always will be a giant issue for you guys. Until Hippalus showed up, we had NO ONE that talked to the community on any regularity from marketing/eCommerce. Not to badmouth them, but MoneyPenny, NeeksNaman were just sale/announce bots, and still are. Hippalus was something we had hopes for, but it seemed as soon as a few giant issues came up(The ward skins were the biggest catalyst) he disappeared and we are left with nothing again.

It also seems as if some of the most talkative forum Rioters have given up on it. Or at least I should probably say. The most popular forum Rioters have mostly disappeared. Guinsoo, Pendragon, Tryndamere, Phreak, Morello, nikasaur, Ezreal, IronStylus, Zileas, Zenon, and so on(Including you Brian) are rarely seen on the forums, unless Morello is in a giant discussion on reasoning, or IronStylus is talking about representing other female body types.

People, like myself who have been playing for a long time, and checking the forums pretty regularly miss these people being on the devtracker more often than a few times a month.

I think you just need a larger marketing presence on the forum. I know it is the hardest one to defend, but we just want more discussion to be available on it. From the whole no champion is below 6300(which we finally have had a discussion or announcement on) to the no skin is under 975, to are 1350 skins actually worth it(on our end, I know most of you people don't have input on prices and such). People, including myself are very passionate about the game. You should be glad at all the hate you get from time to time, because it means people love you guys.

Spectre4802

01-08-2013

Quote:
Well, part of it is lessons learned. We've been bitten hard by revealing too much too early (Magma Chamber anyone?). I can guarantee you that we want to reveal all the cool things to you, but we need to be absolutely sure we're ready, or we're going to face lots of mismanaged expectations.

And part of it is that we simply didn't have a lot of information to share with you years ago. These days, we have a large focus on collecting as much data as we can in order to make more informed decisions. That is forcing us to answer new questions, like how can we share this information with all of you? How much can we share legally? In each different region?

What are the ramifications of player expectations if we share that information? Information is extremely nuanced to interpret, which is why we have guys whose entire careers and specializations are about gathering and interpreting data.

It's not an easy problem, and I certainly don't have an answer.
I absolutely agree with this - we really don't want another Magma Chamber scenario.

But I have to bring up Werewolf's Oceanic Server thread. We've been waiting for a response for 4 weeks, and we've tried really hard to keep it up at the very top of GD.

I feel this situation is one where continued silence is a bad idea.

I understand it isn't your department, but why wouldn't we recieve an update on this?

Sporq

01-08-2013

Quote:
Nope.
Engineer since day one.
Hrm. OK. Well I suppose I should trust you, of all people.

ArlanKels

01-08-2013

I like blaming Riot for everything.
I blame them for the snow falling, the rain not falling(During almost drought conditions) and the fact that there is war on earth.

If they worked harder they'd fix everything. Darn Riot.

1234567 ... 8