@Riot: Please Answer The *REAL* Questions.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KevinPJH

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman Reborn View Post
Euhm, a lot of those questions have been awnsered actually. You can't hold it against them that they won't awnser them EVERY time the same questions are asked.

- Hot fixes don't get patchnoted because it's too much of an effort too make a patch note for every hotfix(I think this is a sticky btw)
- It can take to up tot 11 hours to get a patch out because they use a network of hardware(servers) that aren't all in the same place. The complexity of this can mean that sometimes when something goes wrong it can take a while before they get it fixed. During the last patch clearly something went wrong and it took em a while to find out what.
- They nerfed Soraka because people felt she was completely OP. You can't compare Soraka with sona btw, if you wanna compare Sona's heal with anyone it should be the cow, or even taric. Sona and Soraka aren't alike in any way.
- Riot actually usually awnser in a very timely fashion.
-About the graphics it feels like they awnsered to a degree that they where allowed.

All in all I think you just miss the awnsers, Riot does troll alot as well.
Ok, you do not honestly believe they nerf'd Soraka when Sona was being released because she was OP? Come on now.. Oh and i did not mean all the hot fixes, i meant the stuff that was not in these patch notes: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=276194


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Saffire

Senior Member

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevveK88 View Post
Why do you hide some of the Patch Notes?
They don't. Some notes get left out on accident, others aren't intentional like the Eve tooltip change.
Quote:
Why does it take 10 hours of server down time to produce 1 patch?
That's pretty standard for any online game.
Quote:
Why did you nerf Soraka and then release Sona?
The two events aren't related to each other at all, so I'm not sure why its even a question.
Quote:
Why does it take Riot Support a month to reply to serious questions?
This has been answered many many times. Support is heavily backlogged, which is why they're expanding the department rapidly. They're working on getting caught up.
Quote:
Whats going on with those new Graphics? (Not ETA, just some details of how things are changing)
Not supposed to be discussed yet. When they can talk about it, I'm sure we'll know.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KevinPJH

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

10-07-2010

Why is it that no reds are posting in this thread? I do not understand why not even one of them are bothering to give us an answer to this thread.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Azuredragon653

Senior Member

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevveK88 View Post
Why do you hide some of the Patch Notes?
Why does it take 10 hours of server down time to produce 1 patch?
Why did you nerf Soraka and then release Sona?
Why does it take Riot Support a month to reply to serious questions?
Whats going on with those new Graphics? (Not ETA, just some details of how things are changing)
Well I can answer most of those.

- They don't. When there's a patch with no notes, it's just bug fixes to reflect what was said in the actual patch notes.
- They do more than just implement the patch. Additionally, it's not only Riot. Many online games have long downtimes.
- That's the way it worked out.

I have no answers for the last two.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spellsy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevveK88 View Post
Why is it that no reds are posting in this thread? I do not understand why not even one of them are bothering to give us an answer to this thread.
YEA I KNOW RIGHT ONLY REDS CAN ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS PROPERLY, ITS NOT LIKE Saffire JUST ANSWERED ALL THESE QUESTIONS BASED ON PREVIOUS "RED" ANSWERS.

I DEMAND ANSWERS RED! WHY ARE YOU HOLDING THIS INFORMATION FROM US~!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KevinPJH

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuredragon653 View Post
Well I can answer most of those.

- They don't. When there's a patch with no notes, it's just bug fixes to reflect what was said in the actual patch notes.
- They do more than just implement the patch. Additionally, it's not only Riot. Many online games have long downtimes.
- That's the way it worked out.

I have no answers for the last two.
- I am not talking about the small patches released lately, i am talking about patch notes like these: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=276194 - where a lot of the changes were not listed.
- I have played many *Free* downloadable online games, and it hardly ever takes them 10 hours for 1 patch.
- "That's the way it worked out" is not a good enough answer.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Azuredragon653

Senior Member

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevveK88 View Post
- I am not talking about the small patches released lately, i am talking about patch notes like these: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=276194 - where a lot of the changes were not listed.
- I have played many *Free* downloadable online game, and it hardly ever takes them 10 hours for 1 patch.
- "That's the way it worked out" is not a good enough answer.
- Ah, well then that's at least a reasonable question.
- Ok
- What do you want to hear? That they purposefully nerfed the healer so that when they released a character with a heal, people would buy that person?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phreak

Shoutcaster

10-07-2010
1 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevveK88 View Post
Hi Riot,

Why do you hide some of the Patch Notes?
Why does it take 10 hours of server down time to produce 1 patch?
Why did you nerf Soraka and then release Sona?
Why does it take Riot Support a month to reply to serious questions?
Whats going on with those new Graphics? (Not ETA, just some details of how things are changing)
Hi,

We don't intentionally hide patch notes. Occasionally designers, artists, or engineers forget to update our producers on what they included in the build, so they aren't documented. We never intend for this to happen, but we try to track down any changes we find were included but not documented. Edit: That was simply a very minor patch. All of our live designers are working on remakes (Jax, Teemo, Evelynn, etc). I think you'll find the next patch very exciting.

It takes 10 hours or more to bring out a patch for a few reasons. First, we don't even start the patch for about an hour. We shut down the queues, then wait an hour for any games in progress to finish and shut down the servers. Then we have a lot of servers to patch. Restarting them also takes a lot of time. There's a thread about this restart process in the announcements that's about 1 month old, but it's not as easy as hitting the "Reset" button. Then I'm sure there's a few more things to be done: Tweaking configs, etc. Then we have to test the servers, make sure the patch isn't broken, the servers work, queues work, and then turn them back on. Occasionally we get ahead of schedule and open the servers early. Sometimes we find an issue and have to make the downtime longer. We generally overestimate downtime which allows us to open the servers early, but finding those issues, well...

"Live" designers and "content" designers work on different goals; there was never this "Hey, let's nerf this support so we can bring out an OP support." And besides, Taric, Janna, and Morgana were stronger picks than Soraka at that time anyway. Additionally, Soraka's Infuse is just a problematic skill. While Sona can toss out heals to her lane, she can't also toss out mana as well which is just terrible to fight against. Soraka is supremely annoying to lane against, which is why she was nerfed. We've had a pretty steady trend of nerfing all support champions because they're too good. We've also had people asking for a new support champion for months. Chances are they would coincide.

I don't know. I try to answer the questions I can. Recently I've been busy with WCG and video content.

I don't know how the Shiny stuff is progressing. I'll know more at the end of Friday, and I'll try to get back to you with what I can, but I'm sure a lot of it will be confidential. I'm erring on the side of caution for now, so I won't be very useful right away.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DarkLaw

Senior Member

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
Hi,

We don't intentionally hide patch notes. Occasionally designers, artists, or engineers forget to update our producers on what they included in the build, so they aren't documented. We never intend for this to happen, but we try to track down any changes we find were included but not documented. Edit: That was simply a very minor patch. All of our live designers are working on remakes (Jax, Teemo, Evelynn, etc). I think you'll find the next patch very exciting.

It takes 10 hours or more to bring out a patch for a few reasons. First, we don't even start the patch for about an hour. We shut down the queues, then wait an hour for any games in progress to finish and shut down the servers. Then we have a lot of servers to patch. Restarting them also takes a lot of time. There's a thread about this restart process in the announcements that's about 1 month old, but it's not as easy as hitting the "Reset" button. Then I'm sure there's a few more things to be done: Tweaking configs, etc. Then we have to test the servers, make sure the patch isn't broken, the servers work, queues work, and then turn them back on. Occasionally we get ahead of schedule and open the servers early. Sometimes we find an issue and have to make the downtime longer. We generally overestimate downtime which allows us to open the servers early, but finding those issues, well...

"Live" designers and "content" designers work on different goals; there was never this "Hey, let's nerf this support so we can bring out an OP support." And besides, Taric, Janna, and Morgana were stronger picks than Soraka at that time anyway. Additionally, Soraka's Infuse is just a problematic skill. While Sona can toss out heals to her lane, she can't also toss out mana as well which is just terrible to fight against. Soraka is supremely annoying to lane against, which is why she was nerfed. We've had a pretty steady trend of nerfing all support champions because they're too good. We've also had people asking for a new support champion for months. Chances are they would coincide.

I don't know. I try to answer the questions I can. Recently I've been busy with WCG and video content.

I don't know how the Shiny stuff is progressing. I'll know more at the end of Friday, and I'll try to get back to you with what I can, but I'm sure a lot of it will be confidential. I'm erring on the side of caution for now, so I won't be very useful right away.
Any ETA on the new map? Or are you not allowed to talk about it?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Falleth

Senior Member

10-07-2010

Quote:
Any ETA on the new map? Or are you not allowed to talk about it?
After Halloween. Probably also with/after Irelia, so at least 4-6 weeks.