Just Started Playing Ranked

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RagnellRising

01-02-2013

@Xin it to Win It

I just read about this whole thread (at least rioters posts) and just wanted to comment on how great it is that you're encouraging everyone to to be positive and supportive, especially in ranked play. It's honestly a goal that I've adopted to be kind and try to win games gracefully with my team especially in ranked and I've found that it really does work and win games. It's funny how the games where our team is messing around and having fun in champion select tend to always turn out to be a win.
I'm only around 1200 elo right now but I hope to keep improving my elo and my gameplay!
Good luck in your ranked experience!

NinetyNineTails

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoop View Post
So what do you tell the guy who just dropped from 900 to 700 ELO over the past 3 awful days of gaming due in a large part to people raging or afking?
+/- 200 point ELO swings are normal. Losing streaks suuuuuuuck, but it's not a flaw in the ELO system. It's a flaw in head-to-head competitive games and a flaw in the way true randomness works.

For a lot of players, it manifests in the loss of ELO, pain over that loss, and the theory of ELO Hell. But it's not really any of those things. It's a phenomenon that, on a design level, is expected, but that causes serious unhappiness and pain in a player when it occurs.

My understanding is that Riot's internal metrics show that the #1 cause of players leaving LoL and not coming back is losing streaks; lose five games in a row, log out, never come back. They'd like to avoid having that happen to people, but the proper solution to that problem is extremely non-obvious.

God Hammer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2013

When I solo queue, I usually jungle or mid. I never ask for blue (when mid) and encourage people to kill steal from me.

Works every time.

Dagna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin it to Win It View Post
Especially at low Elo people fight over top and mid. Learn support and jungle and you will win more and enjoy yourself. When you run into another jungler or support, you get a chance to play mid/top/adc. Took me a LONG time to learn this as my favorite character is Caitlyn.
I found late in season 2 that if you are willing to play a Zyra/Lux Support, you have far more control of the bot lane and therefore win more games. It will also allow you to make a command decision to become a true support or to go all out for killing. I dont know how many games I watched the ADC let both champs escape and turned it around by taking them both out the next go around.

Being able to play 2-3 champs for ever position will also allow you to climb in rankings.

Sadly, it is very apparent to climb out of pre 1200+ ELO, at a decent rate, you will have to play the CD reset champs (Kat, Darius,...) as they will snowball like no one else. Yes they can be stopped (I have stopped many-a-Kat and kited many-a-darius) but it takes you team playing smart (and having some stuns :P).

As for all the rage, I just ignore it and keep talking. If you don't keep talking they will control the tone and make the game toxic. It gets pretty bad at times, much more that any rioter seems willing to admit but there are also some good times they will make up for it. I got to support a GP bot once as Zyra, one of the funnest games I had in a long time. Yet all I heard for the first 3 minutes was GG, noob, etc... Sadly it didnt go away after we outplayed bot (other team started complaining).

BattleBornZombie

01-03-2013

i like wu top or sivir bot or chogath mid

Pie Kills

01-03-2013

GAH.. Just finished reading every single red post in this thread.. @_@ Even the large walls of text, dunno why.

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

Follow Xin it to Win It on Twitter

01-03-2013
58 of 123 Riot Posts

Pretty interesting post about pick order on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...mple_as_draft/

tl;dr: if everyone posts their top two roles, you are much more likely to get eveyone in a role that they are competent in.

NEOtheONE

01-03-2013

Quote:

tl;dr: if everyone posts their top two roles, you are much more likely to get eveyone in a role that they are competent in.
I always post my top 3 and mention that I don't suck as support if no one else volunteers. Still frustrating to watch the other people fight tooth and nail over the other roles though.

KevinDelMarr

01-03-2013

Quote:

Awesome read. Will think about it from now on

Old Vegas Dad

01-03-2013

Quote:
Last night I decided to dive in and start playing solo ranked games.

For a long time I was hesitant to play ranked because I've read plenty of threads about rage in ranked and figured I should avoid ranked play.

What changed my mind was the realization that I have the ability to set a good example in game by promoting positive and constructive communication. This realization was tested in my second game when a high-skill player on a smurf account was paired with me bottom lane (I was Sona, he was Ashe). Initially he was getting frustrated by the mistakes that our team was making and was starting to rage a bit. I reminded him that the rest of the team was not playing on Smurf accounts and that we actually needed guidance to improve our play. He accepted this challenge and took on the roll of a positive team leader. We were able to win the game, which before the change, I don't feel we would have.

I am going to continue to play in Ranked games and rely on communication with my team to try and make up for my deficiency in competitive game knowledge and skill.

cry or fix your system that inserts people new to ranked in the middle of the pack of very experienced players.