Would a Group Finder be a good idea?

Yes 139 90.85%
No 14 9.15%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Group Finder

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Taiidan

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Churgantor View Post
I personally think this idea is great, but would this only be available for let's say, level 20 and above? I remember the days from level 1-20 where there were no junglers, and everything was different than level 30 gameplay. You had everything that was different, double bruiser bots, adc mid, no tanks, no ap champions, etc.

I didn't read the whole thing, but I think it would be great if there were 2 options, group finding or normal. That means the low level smurfs could actually follow the meta.
Hi Churgantor,

We're essentially looking at Ranked Solo 5s to implement this. Other game types are a possibility as well but not the main focus.

To answer your question however, yes, a different option from the ones already present might be a good alternative for normals.

Røhø

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiidann View Post
Third Step: The confirmation window pops up and the player must click yes to enter the champion selection screen or no to abandon the queue.
Screw this, how about we get rid if all confirmation annoying windows. It wastes times and cancels any message you were sending to your mates. Which should be carried to next screen but arn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiidann View Post
This kind of process would fix many problems, including people upset they can't play the role they want, people who refuse to cooperate and trolls. Teams won't end up with 2 junglers or 3 ad carries.
Not a problem if you allow them to check in any game type META or RANDOM QUEUE, after a while all the good players will pick META and all the noobs will play RANDOM together making it better for everyone.

As I've said on other posts, show wait times on each role as this will encourage people to play support with wait time of 8 seconds vs apc with wait time of 2 mins.

Taiidan

01-03-2013

Hi Rh,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rh View Post
Screw this, how about we get rid if all confirmation annoying windows. It wastes times and cancels any message you were sending to your mates. Which should be carried to next screen but arn't.
I definitely understand how that can be annoying. That said however, it wouldn't be a good idea to remove the confirmation window as there are people who go afk during queue, or they get busy with something else and forget to unqueue. I'm sure you wouldn't want to be stuck with one of those on your team.

But I do agree with you that the chat system needs to be improved to carry what's said over to the next screen, as well as not closing the group chat tab before the queue is actually successful and all 10 people accept. A thought for another thread perhaps.

Quote:
Not a problem if you allow them to check in any game type META or RANDOM QUEUE, after a while all the good players will pick META and all the noobs will play RANDOM together making it better for everyone.
Everyone must conform to the same matchmaking rules in ranked queues to maintain the integrity and relevance of stats and rankings.

It's a possibility for normals though, like I've mentioned before.

Taiidan

01-05-2013

Bump

AggrosRaizek

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-08-2013

I like this....so bump.

Aeonova

01-08-2013

One of the better more thought out system I've seen (original post). The fact that a more experienced player could queue for example "MID" then communicate with their team and decide to play another role or try a different meta is an excellent idea. This solves the problem of setting the meta with a role check system yet still keeps it down to a one queue system.

Nightwhite3

01-09-2013

This is a very good idea, I hope Riot reads this and considers adding it.

Raawx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-10-2013

Bumping this.

Grimsonist

01-11-2013

Good concept and one that could potentially weed out some negative aspects of the matchmaking system. But also note that even if it is put into effect, the troll players before would still be the troll players of the new design. A change into the system won't magically get rid of them.

HoN's matchmaking system I found was the best of the three (dota, hon, and lol) in my opinion, where the higher ranked players got the first call on what role they wanted to pursue as the draft continued. It was far from perfect but i found the least encounters of *trolls* with that design.

Perhaps they should show player's ranked elo during the champion selection.

-I would love to see your idea implemented though, I could imagine the people who choose a support role gets instant queue while the dozens of MID OR FEED players wait a bit longer for theirs. Even though some legitimate mid players would be punished, it is a NECESSARY sacrifice to minimize *troll* situations.

A question though- Wouldn't all players just pick Support in an attempt to reduce their queue and just select an AP mid or bruiser top after? Or are they limited to the certain *support* champions if they select the role?

Taiidan

01-11-2013

Hi Grimsonist,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimsonist View Post
Good concept and one that could potentially weed out some negative aspects of the matchmaking system. But also note that even if it is put into effect, the troll players before would still be the troll players of the new design. A change into the system won't magically get rid of them.
Being realistic, I'm not expecting this, or any, matchmaking system to completely rid the game of trolls. There are different trolls with different motivations. However, most of the people who currently troll, do so because they either didn't get the position they wanted or got into an argument with someone in the champion selection process. So this would already get rid of a good bunch of them.

As for the ones who just troll to troll, that's another story that has nothing to do with matchmaking really. A problem for another thread, but like I said earlier your best bet is still to report those after the game.

Quote:
HoN's matchmaking system I found was the best of the three (dota, hon, and lol) in my opinion, where the higher ranked players got the first call on what role they wanted to pursue as the draft continued. It was far from perfect but i found the least encounters of *trolls* with that design.

Perhaps they should show player's ranked elo during the champion selection.
ELO isn't shown however players are already ordered by highest to lowest and there's a tidbit about it in the Summoner's Code.

"Being a good team player begins at champion select. Be open minded when considering the needs of your team. If you’re the last one to pick, try to fill a niche in your team that hasn’t already been filled."

Unfortunatly not many people care to follow this. But with a Group Finder it wouldn't be a problem anyway.

Quote:
A question though- Wouldn't all players just pick Support in an attempt to reduce their queue and just select an AP mid or bruiser top after? Or are they limited to the certain *support* champions if they select the role?
Like mentioned, there is no limit to what champion you can select after entering the champion select screen. It's only meant to place you into a group of 5 that can potentially cover all 5 standard roles without conflict, with what each person has selected they can play, as well as a visual aid to better organize the team. We're not trying to limit anyone if they discuss a change with their team or choose a different strategy for a particular game (That's the beauty of this system).

It is extremely unlikely that people will choose something they won't actually play as they'd be intentionally reducing their chances of getting a successful team together and eventually a win, which doesn't make sense for anyone just to speed up the queue time a little bit. This is rather obvious in other games that use a similar system where you will very rarely, if ever, have someone join under a false role.

Thanks for your feedback, let me know if you have any other questions.