Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ezreal

Pre Production Champion Designer

12-30-2012
312 of 320 Riot Posts

Sorry for the repost, but I accidentally hit 'submit reply' too early...

Replies to pages 611-615.

Hey Guys,

I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to update this thread. Things at work have been pretty hectic lately (in a purely amazing way). So the first time I've had to repost on this thread is on vacation (just like when I first had a chance to start this thread =-P). I hope you'll forgive me, and I'll try to do this at least once a month from now on...if not more often.

As always feel free to check out my @RiotEzreal Twitter, as I'll always post in it whenever I post in this thread (just makes it easier to track).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazschei View Post
I always thought Lux was really similar to Morgana in terms of their kit. Drop-on-the-ground AoE, Snare, Shield.
Absolutely, her kit was actually designed around taking the dark elements from morgana and seeing what they would feel like if they instead used light elements (primarily Q/W/E). Good catch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashxu View Post
Will you guys ever redesign champions just because they could be more interesting or fun? (Opposed to redesigning champions because they need fixing)

I'm talking about someone like Wukong. He's not bad but c'mon, his kit is a bit bland. He only has one way to use his abilities. E -> Q -> R or W
Well, our primary focuses in doing champion updates are as follows: make the character more fun, fix the core problems, and don't remove what make the character fun in the first place. So yes we redesign characters to make them more fun.

That being said, I don't believe we would update a character like Wukong. We specifically made his kit simple with easy combos and a single ability that can be used for amazing effects. Take for example a lot of our early champions. Yes they are easier to use than our newer champions, but that is by design. We want champions that new players can join the game and fully understand on their first play through. Having a wide range of characters in both skill level and play style only improves our play experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Jesus View Post
Will Riot ever have a system where we can purchase the announcers voice to be something else? possibly popular champions?

Will we ever see Kog'maws daddy?! I love kog'maw, please tell me his Daddy will appear sometime soon!

Just also want to give my support for releasing Lissandra the Ice Dervish! I'm a huge fan of Sejuani and all of Freljord, please give me my third princess =D

More Sejuani skin please! are they on the works?
I hope we offer players alternate announcer packs, though honestly it hasn't come up that often. I recently brought this up to one of our design departments, and we are going to look into it again.

As for Kog'maw's daddy...there is only one way that I could see him in our game...and that is in epic ridiculously large boss form. So here's hoping that we eventually do a void inspired map that will allow enough space for Kog'maw's dad to fit in.

Hmmm, that's +1 for Lissandra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostradamusss View Post
please MR. ezreal, can you say to your riot team these bugs, because i wrote the trundle bug in the forum 1 year ago and still not fixed :/

"-Leona can reset auto attack after her Q (like old garen with bug before it got fixed)
-Trundle Q base damage cannot crit.
-shaco clone does not take into account AD runes"
The Leona note is not a bug. On next hit abilities should all reset your auto attacks. Learn it and love it, it grants a butt ton of extra damage.
I'll bring up the Trundle bug.
I'll bring up the Shaco clone bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunsWithScizzors View Post
Why don't you design champions anymore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddish33 View Post
Are you the main designer on any champs right now? If not, then what are you doing at riot right now?
Well, I transitioned from designing individual champions to leading the champion ideation process (initial art/design/theme) some time after releasing Ahri. Recently I have also joined the Creative Design team in coming up with awesome new ways to integrate lore into our game (GIVE ME IDEAS HERE!!!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivayne View Post
Ezreal are you over 9000?
Not since release...and Ezreal was wayyyyyy over 9000 on that patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by League°âLegends View Post
If someone was looking to get into the gaming field as game journalist or working inside Riot on the community part for example dealing with the community, handling Q&A and support tickets, do you have any suggestions for a major?
There are plenty of colleges which focus on journalism, and if you don't go to one then simply get a degree in Writing. As for ways to get into the community, simply put your face out there. I have met tons of people who simply became known in our community from making youtube videos, or starting up league websites. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurdygurdy View Post
Hey Erzeal,

Will there be a concept similar to Link and Toon Link, Pikachu and Pichu being in Smash Bros? Like Older version of Annie(that many wanted) and pre-mechanized&rebuild Urgot. They can have similar skills or same but more powerful but lacking in aspects that their younger/previous counterparts have and vice versa, etc. If not as a released champion but as skins?

Thanks!

edit: YAY! For looking over J4's ult bug!
Well, we have already done this in the past with a few champions. Lux has a number of inspirations from Morgana, and Darius has a number of inspirations from Garen (spinning to win, and his own brand of execute). And heck, I would love to have a time assassin who takes inspiration from Zilean...though there hasn't been traction on that for years =-P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koechophe View Post
Hey ezreal, you've answered so many questions, and I really appreciate it. I want to ask you a question that I CANNOT find the answer to anywhere.

Why was ap lulu so nerfed? She was op, but now ap lulu mid isn't considered viable, and I remember specifically hearing that ap mid lulu was supposed to be preserved.
There were two primary problems: Support Lulu would deal too much damage late game, and AP lulu would dole out too much support late game. She simply did two different roles too well, and had to be brought in line with one of them. As such, we opted to keep her in a support role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity Cow View Post
Ezreal:

do you like waffles
YES, in fact, there is a glorious chicken and waffles place just down the street from the Riot office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolfish View Post
Hey Ezreal,

Are there any plans (even if very long-term ones) to remake/redesign champions that are considered "unfun" to play against? To name the three worst offenders: Yorick, Darius and Teemo.

I do NOT think any of them are overpowered, but I do agree that they are just plain unfun to play against. There's so little counterplay option available besides "kite darius" "try to ignore Teemo" and "survive Yorick and hope his carry sucks".
Yes. There are three primary reasons to remake champions: they are not fun to play as, they are not fun to play against, and they simply don't fit in the game. Now each of these can be remade based on a designers opinion of them. But playing against is one of the primary metrics we take into account when remaking champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasaQ View Post
Can you kill this thread and start a new one? It's just too big to comfortably sort through the relevant/recent stuff.
Perhaps someday, but the purpose of this thread is not to go through all of the comments. Jebus, this thread started years ago so there is a ton of outdated info. So rather than constantly make new threads, I just focus on updating it every month or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEOW1337KITTEH View Post
What do you think about mana/energy stealing items? Possibly an active that uses the opponents mana to cast your own spell?

Example: Veigar uses the *insert name of item* against a Nunu. Veigar then ults (would use 150 mana lets say) and instead of the mana being reduced from Veigar, it is stolen from Nunu instead. This would only be able to work in a direct relation (Energy steals energy, mana steals mana, etc.)
We have removed spells and items which have done this in the past. Check out Zileas's post on Anti Fun Patterns to learn more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasia Lopez View Post
I have 2 questions:
1) Can we expect a new female AD ranged carry anytime soon? The past few have been Graves, Draven, and Varus. The top 3 are Ezreal, Corki, and Graves. The female AD ranged carries could use some new woman-power.
2) Can we get a new mage that is ice based? We have Anivia but I just don't feel it with her. When I say ice mage I think of Crystal Maiden, Lich, or AA from DOTA rather than Anivia. I guess more than anything I'd like a freeze and the slow debuff.
1 and 2) 2013 will be a good year for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomorian27 View Post
Dear Ezreal,

I am about to undertake a massive undertaking: to read all 309 posts from start to finish. Wish me luck?

As for questions, I have 3:

- How is it that you are able to maintain a thread of this size? From past experience I know you answer most if not all of the questions. Do you think other rioters might do something like this as well?

- I believe that every skillshot, apart from nautilus' dredge line, can travel through walls. Are there any plans to make another skillshot that doesn't travel through walls?

- Zigg's bouncing bomb explodes on impact with turrets. What led to this design choice?

- Have you thought about adding a champ that has the ability to deflect skillshots with a skillshot? Say someone is aiming a mystic shot at you and you deflect it to the side. Any design problems with this?
Whyyyyy would you do that to yourself!!! Though for doing it I will answer a few of your questions =-P:
1) Haha, I haven't been able to keep up very well recently...and I mostly post here on weekends and vacations. So it's not too sustainable for the average Rioter.
2) Skill shots will generally travel through walls unless they have an express gameplay reason to interact with walls. For example: a skill shot which bounces off walls, a skill shot that attaches a mine to a wall.
3) Zigg's bouncing bomb explodes on terrain, and turrets count as terrain.
4) We have considered it, and ultimately decided that it doesn't add great gameplay. We would rather have a shield that blocks skillshots (imagine a shield that extends to 3x the length of a champ that would block skill shots coming at him).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokod View Post
Dayum.
615 pages of text, 309 riot posts.
Is anyone actually reading this far?
I hope not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiferoth View Post
Ezreal, How dare you get me addicted to this game by designing Jarvan IV my first champion? :P
Le wewt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelada View Post
Ez don't u think that the release of syndra and kha zix its a little unfair for viktor players?, with syndra u only have to max your abilities to gain the bonus and kha zix gets an evolution every 6 lvls, meanwhile viktor has an item slot occupied by an item that late game its a little weak , only the red core worth the money the other 2 are really weak in term on stats, also viktor only can upgrade one of his abilities.

I know that riot want to innovate with new mechanics , but try to innovate with mechanics that work and are fair for the other champs , also his E has been bugged since release and never was touch.

if u release more balanced champs the less champs u need to rework.
Not at all, they each have their own design space, and having a unique item is within Viktor's design space. I would actually say the problem you are facing is the power of Viktor's item slot. Personally, I would love to see it get a tier 2 item upgrade, to make it more worth the slot.

USnip

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2012

Quote:
And heck, I would love to have a time assassin who takes inspiration from Zilean...though there hasn't been traction on that for years =-P.
Give it... time.

ehuehuhuehuehuehuehuehue

Hellioning

12-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezreal View Post

There were two primary problems: Support Lulu would deal too much damage late game, and AP lulu would dole out too much support late game. She simply did two different roles too well, and had to be brought in line with one of them. As such, we opted to keep her in a support role.
Does this mean we are never getting a support that has decent ap ratios and therefore can go mid or support? I mean, besides the ones that started as a midlaner first...

I'm sorry if I sound bitter, but ap janna/ap lulu/ap sona have all been nerfed in one way or another to the extent where they HAVE to go support in order to be viable but zyra/lux/morgana can do both fine. Is there some difference between the two that I'm not seeing?

Turtle Rojas

12-30-2012

I think something interesting to integrate would be chat/actions between characters. Just hidden extras for special characters when they are together based on lore. Has this ever been brought up before?

It would be interesting to see sejuani and ashe argue, kha and rengar to fight together, shen and zed ninja showdown over the death of the master, yordles talking about, etc.

Hellioning

12-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Rojas View Post
I think something interesting to integrate would be chat/actions between characters. Just hidden extras for special characters when they are together based on lore. Has this ever been brought up before?

It would be interesting to see sejuani and ashe argue, kha and rengar to fight together, shen and zed ninja showdown over the death of the master, yordles talking about, etc.
Play Vi, get within sight range of an enemy caitlyn, taunt.

Have fun.

Xyes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2012

Hello Ezreal!

Have there ever been any plans for making an actual vehicle champion or at least a champion fully encased in a vehicle? I know that sounds weird for LoL's style and the closest thing that we have to that (aside from skins) are corki and rumble. I would love to see an actual slow tank with giant cannons and perhaps a grappling hook (that's actually what I thought Nautilus was going to be when he was being hinted at).

If LoL hadn't recently released a number of champions with ultimates that changed the champion's playstyle, I would have loved to suggest a transformer themed champion that switches between a regular form and vehicle form. An aesthetically pleasing example would be Subterranean Nautilus (who already reminds me of Bumblebee) transforming into a underground drilling vehicle.

*drools*

EDIT: I read your bit about the yordle in a drill car. That is cool, but I am not much of a yordle person. In fact, I could say that I greatly dislike them.

Needs moar pure machines like blitz.

PS: Thankyou for dis thread.

daiden

12-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
Does this mean we are never getting a support that has decent ap ratios and therefore can go mid or support? I mean, besides the ones that started as a midlaner first...

I'm sorry if I sound bitter, but ap janna/ap lulu/ap sona have all been nerfed in one way or another to the extent where they HAVE to go support in order to be viable but zyra/lux/morgana can do both fine. Is there some difference between the two that I'm not seeing?
My guess would be that they're different kits. Lulu with high AP ratios might be too strong, while Morgana with high AP ratios may be fine. It's all in their skills.

Corporal Cupcake

12-30-2012

Anything happening with Viktor?

Pyromania99

12-30-2012

Hello Ezreal, I had a question.

Do you think Riot will ever have a Bridget tier cross dresser in League? I'm talking about the Guilty Gear series if you didn't know. Perhaps have that as a suggestion for a new character?

Seadawg

12-30-2012

Hey Ez, thanks for updating the thread again!

What do you think about the new loss of capability for most AP Mids? The new armor penetration changes are making it so that AD bruisers scale better and offer now a better early, mid, and late game than their AP counterparts. Was that intended?

Also, will there ever be a resurgence of lore, or have you guys given up on it? It was one of the roots that kept me into the game and I have realized that I know hardly anything about the new champions as I do of the old.