Stopping Trolls by Report-Voting at Champ Select

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SayntClair

12-29-2012

In all my time playing league, there is only one complaint I have about the entire game:
It is way too easy to troll.

Regardless of the debated existence of "elo hell," people are constantly brought down the ladder by teammates who refuse to cooperate or just straight out don't try, I believe that there must be a better way to deal with these than to just take the hit to your elo and have forty minutes of your time wasted trying to carry yourself 4v5.

A solution my friends and I played around with in our heads is to have a system where you could start a vote against a player in champ select. For example if you have somebody who refuses to go support and says things like "haha nubs, i'm gonna troll." you could press a little red button next to their name, and a little red light would pop up next to their name. If two or three other players decide to press the button against the troll, the game would be disbanded at no penalty, and a copy of the champ-select chat would be sent to the tribunal. Of course everybody would be placed back at the top of the queue. People at the tribunal could then see the champion selections and the chat and decide for themselves whether the person was planning on trolling. If there was no trolling and the person was just trying to selfishly leave a game, then appropriate punishment could be handed out to whoever reported an innocent.

Not only would this save time by not sending people into pointless 4v5 matches, but it would also improve the overall quality and experience of League of Legends. I think this is a rather simple thing to put into the game, and I'm surprised that Riot hasn't already done something like this to compliment reporting at the end of the game. The tribunal is a great tool, and we should use it so that decent players dont have to waste 30 minutes waiting after dodging from a troll. I hope you guys like this idea! Please comment your thoughts.

tl;dr - ability to start a vote to disband game and report troll at champ select. Save time and elo.

Mr Quadratic

12-29-2012

Yeah, it is a good idea, but youl'd have to make sure the punishment for false reports is severe enough to prevent people from doing it just to get a role they want. They only time I see that it should be reportable is when they instalock a role someone says they wanted or has already taken without saying anything or responding to the team, or, of course, the classic, "mid or I feed."

Also, you cant really blame trolls for Elo Hell. The other team is actually more likely to have trolls on their team. (You're on your team aren't you?)

Swerto

12-29-2012

Following the meta is not required.

If somebody wants to play ADC mid with the AP mid they are more than able to do it, as long as they aren't a massive ******* in the game and intentionally feed they have no grounds for being punished. In fact, if you spend the entire game *****ing at them for not following the meta you're probably going to A: lose, B: get reported yourselves for verbal abuse and then punished for it.

The meta is not law. Calm your ****.

Mr Quadratic

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Progotnik View Post
Following the meta is not required.

If somebody wants to play ADC mid with the AP mid they are more than able to do it, as long as they aren't a massive ******* in the game and intentionally feed they have no grounds for being punished. In fact, if you spend the entire game *****ing at them for not following the meta you're probably going to A: lose, B: get reported yourselves for verbal abuse and then punished for it.

The meta is not law. Calm your ****.
Well, even if people arent following the meta, which is fine, although a bit annoying, most people dont want to go in a game with that guy that instalocked Ahri when you already have an AP selected, and wont respond to inquiries about what strategy he's going to be using in place of the meta. The meta is a set of unspoken guidelines, and if you want to do something different, you should let your team now so they can pick for it, instead of forcing them to guess and causing you to lose because of no team cohesion.

Swerto

12-29-2012

So let me get this straight.

What you're saying is this:

You play what I want you to play, or I'm voting you off the island. This is my game and all of you have to play by my rules.

Right?

Maybe next time somebody instalocks AP, you pick something else if you really want to stick to the meta. And if it's not you who's got their spot taken and it's somoene else and they're bickering, try and compromise, offer them your position, bite the bullet and take the spot nobody wants (whether it be jungle, adc, support, top, whatever).

Sounds like to me those situations are just as much your fault as theirs. Sure they're unreasonable, but that doesn't mean you have to be too.