Leona: Comprehensive Discussion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EgyAnubis

12-02-2012

I like this suggestion

Aurasai

12-09-2012

bъmp!

Dark Kuno

12-20-2012

WTB Leona rework so I can play her outside of Bot or actually be a tank.

PapstJL4U

12-20-2012

****ing dont change her. she does what she does and she does it very well. Play other champs, if you want to play other styles and position...

Keitterman

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapstJL4U View Post
****ing dont change her. she does what she does and she does it very well. Play other champs, if you want to play other styles and position...
Cool story bro

Dark Kuno

12-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapstJL4U View Post
Except for the part where she can't tank half as well as any other tank

Has less base health than just about every non-tank designated bruiser/fighter and and her supposed superior cc is far from superior due to the limited duration compared to every other cc on any other champ with it.

If you want to only discuss aggressive champs in support role
Blitz, Zyra, Morgana, Fiddle, Lux, Lulu, even Nami surpass her in actual contribution to a fight while providing more utility, damage and survivability.

And ALL of those champs have the ability to perform outside of the support role.

Leona can't.

A large percentage of her damage potential is tied up in a passive she cannot actually trigger and gains no personal benefit from. No other champion in the game gets literally nothing from their own passive, save for Leona.

I love me some Leona. But she is based around a faulted concept. Her design is based around being a team player in an already team based game. As result, she is the ONLY champion in the game that cannot function on her own in any capacity. And even in the capacity she was designed for she is mediocre at best.

She needs a rework... badly.

Aurasai

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Kuno View Post
Except for the part where she can't tank half as well as any other tank

Has less base health than just about every non-tank designated bruiser/fighter and and her supposed superior cc is far from superior due to the limited duration compared to every other cc on any other champ with it.

If you want to only discuss aggressive champs in support role
Blitz, Zyra, Morgana, Fiddle, Lux, Lulu, even Nami surpass her in actual contribution to a fight while providing more utility, damage and survivability.

And ALL of those champs have the ability to perform outside of the support role.

Leona can't.

A large percentage of her damage potential is tied up in a passive she cannot actually trigger and gains no personal benefit from. No other champion in the game gets literally nothing from their own passive, save for Leona.

I love me some Leona. But she is based around a faulted concept. Her design is based around being a team player in an already team based game. As result, she is the ONLY champion in the game that cannot function on her own in any capacity. And even in the capacity she was designed for she is mediocre at best.

She needs a rework... badly.
Well said sir, well said! I would allso add Alistar to the list as he is the closest champion to Leona. He is basicly offering more ccs, much higher damage output, actual sustainbillity, better survivabillity than nearly all bruisers and last but not least, he is a more dangerous jungler than a support.

Anyway... thank you all for keeping the thread alive, may the new year bring many new much needed gameplay reworks in and out of the game (and a visual to Morgana!)

RockJockey

12-26-2012

Hopefully Riot takes a look at this.

Dark Kuno

12-28-2012

Reposting these since I still think they are the best way to make her viable outside of bot without making her Overpowered as support

Sunlight (Passive)
Current
Leona's damaging spells affect the target with Sunlight for 3.5 seconds. When allied champions deal damage to those targets, they consume the Sunlight debuff to deal 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 / 80 / 95 / 110 / 125 / 140 (increasing every 2 levels) additional magic damage.

Suggested
Leona's damaging spells affect the target with Sunlight, dealing 15 / 21 / 28 / 34 / 41 / 48 / 54 / 61 / 68 (increasing every 2 levels) over 3 seconds. This affect can stack up to 2 times. When allied champions deal damage to those targets, they consume the Sunlight debuff to deal additional magic damage equal to the remaining affect.

Zenith Blade (E)
Current
Leona projects a solar image of her sword, dealing magic damage to all enemies in a line. When the image fades, the last enemy champion struck will be briefly immobilized and Leona will dash to them.

Suggested
Passive: Leona's basic attacks deal 10/20/30/40/50 + 20% of AP bonus magic damage. This affect does not apply Sunlight.

Active: Leona projects a solar image of her sword, dealing magic damage to all enemies in a line. When the image fades, the last enemy champion struck will be briefly immobilized and Leona will dash to them.

Again a small buff to address the fact that outside of her cooldowns, Leona does no damage.

No change necessary to Eclipse or Solar Flare

These two changes would let the designers cling to the faulted concept of wanting her abilities to promote "team play" when LoL is already a team based game and the same concept is not applied to ANY other champion in the game. But it would then give her the ability to function as a solo and actually gain a personal benefit from her own passive.

Edit: Lowered suggested passive stack to 2 instead of 3, adjusted the damage amount to slightly higher but close to the current unstacked amount, and reduced the DoT's duration to 3s to grant her slight QoL improvement as a jungler/laner

Aurasai

12-29-2012

Personaly i like the Zenith Blade idea, but i think Sunlight suggestion has a big problem. For example if jumping on a target, sticking 3 stacks on it and some random autoattack flies from somewhere activating them all, will be an instant death. Especially in lower levels where bot lane would become a kill lane. Allso i think the scaling on Zenith Blade is highly abusable, as Leona can get 300 AP and a Rageblade... and do 400 damage per autoattack, effectively being a hybrid bruiser, with just a few cheap items, all that on mid lane.
I think for Leona to truely commit to a teamfight either Sunlight or Eclipse has to be delayed to a DoT and stay that way (doing reduced burst damage but higher or the same overall). Honestly i don't think that a small DoT on Sunlight would keep stealing the kills from the AD right clicker on bot lane, so i don't think if the damage is done by Leona it would be a problem (think of Brand's passive). To avoid targets never being able to escape alive if passive fully stacked (hi Darius), Sunlight can be made to be active only if Leona is near, but i don't think that would be a problem.

Again reposting my suggestions:
Sunlight (passive)
Leona's spells charge an enemy unit with Sunlight for 2 seconds. Over the duration of the effect targets with sunlight have their magic resistance and armor reduced by 6/7/8/9/10/11 and take 10/15/20/25/30/35 (level 1/6/9/12/15/18) (+5% of AP) magic damage each second. Stacks up to 3 times.

Eclipse (W)

Cooldown: 10
Cost: 60 mana

Active: Leona gains bonus armor and magic resistance for 3 seconds. After 2 seconds she deals damage to enemies within 275 range of her. If Eclipse damages any enemies, 1 additional second is added to the duration, dealing damage again and consuming 10 mana. This abillity can be toggled off.

Armor, magic resistance: 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 / 70
Magic damage: 20 / 40 / 55 / 70 / 90 (+ 10% AP)

If you don't take the Eclipse suggestion into account, count the passive for 3 or 4 seconds. With 4 seconds after every cast Leona can refresh her passive if she truly commits to attacking a target, while with 3 it will be only possible with high cooldown reduction. i think it will all work just as fine if your suggestion for Zenith Blade is in place of Eclipse but without the AP rate, or at least it being reduced, with an extended duration on Sunlight.

Honestly even if Leona is unchanged apart of being able to activate her own passive i wouldn't be more happy (apart of squeezing a new Morgana visual model in the same patch... or anytime soon).