Would you be interested in purchasing visual "gear" upgrades to skins?

Yes. 204 43.97%
No. 65 14.01%
Maybe, I would like to see/read some examples first. 195 42.03%
Voters: 464. You may not vote on this poll

Skin Design Concept - Upgradable Tiers [Dat Parrot]

First Riot Post
123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

12-27-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Bump for curiosity's sake and nicely composed thread.

Zerglinator

12-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
A parrot!

Jack of Fury

12-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post

I would love this.

Champion skins with multiple stages, where in the end you can end up paying a LOT for one skin, but it's insanely detailed and super awesome and rare because you upgraded it a lot.

For example, I would look at my favorite champion --> Shaco (surprise!)

Pick a skin, for example --> Mad Hatter Shaco.

If I spend the money and get the skin once, it's just the current Mad Hatter Shaco.
If I spent the amount again, the skin gets upgraded to Mad Hatter Shaco LV2, where now he might have a taller top-hat, different cooler and deeper colors, etc.

Maybe I can even upgrade again! Now Mad Hatter Shaco has a super awesome top-hat, has retractable knives that move on their own all the time, his clothing is now animated and moves based on physics, etc.

Upgrading the skin can even add more particles and what not, maybe more voiceovers/sounds. You should also be able to upgrade the classical skin as well, since some people like those the best.

Also, upgrading skins should improve on champion unique characteristics, for example --> Morgana's wings can grow each upgrade, same with Kayle; or Shockblade Zed's shurikens turn more and more into pure lightning as the skin upgrades, etc.

Ecclessian

12-27-2012

I voted yes. I'm assuming it would be something along the lines of giving Garen's base skin a helmet or a differently shaped sword.

It would have to be something small like that if it wasn't going to be a completely new skin imo

either way, neat idea

EDIT: Thought about it a little more and I'd definitely go along with the helmet/sword replacement in my earlier example. Possibly some small amount of RP (micro-micro transaction?) for each piece or one of the lower prices (520 and lower) for all of them together.

Comedian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2012

I want dis

hazy925

12-27-2012

One thing that comes to mind is not necessarily "levels" but personalization. One obvious place this could be added is weaponry. Imagine if you could choose the guns that Miss Fortune or Graves used, or could purchase different swords for Garen, Tryndamere, Fiora, etc... Kinda like Soul Caliber but no special in-game advantages.

exe3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2012

No. If I understand you correctly you can choose a different tier for a skin eg: tier 1 is just a colour change, tier 2 adds in new particle effects and tier 3 has voice over? If so i'm against as that'll just confuse people over what skin you're using. Personally i'd be mighty sad if I versed a battlecast chogath but he wasn't saying any of his BCCG lines.

Proelium

12-27-2012

I'll bump. Any new content, that isn't new champions, is good.

shelwyn

12-27-2012

How many dorans blades can I put on Garen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masmurdurah View Post
a little extra layer of armor to her body/legs
I'd add more armor to leona and make her a walking slab of metal

Super Explosion

12-27-2012

I actually like that League takes a wholistic approach to champion aesthetic design--

In a skin you get a total artistic package of cohesive elements that tend to mesh very well together.

While finer resolution customization is nice, it would need to be done in a way that preserves the 'flow' and congruity of appearance.

As well as not feel like you're getting 'nickle-and-dimed' for minor alterations. Current skins have a 'bigger' involving feeling.

That's one reason I don't like Dota 2's item-based customization-- everything feels cheap and irrelevant.

In League, a skin like Pulsefire Ezreal appears like there was some cleverness put into it, even if it is based on a familiar style.

123456 ... 7