Summoners who verbally abuse their team lose 16% more games.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MelonBalla

12-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
But the implication Riot is trying to get across is that you shouldn't verbally abuse your teammates.

In reality, the implication should be that you shouldn't be the TYPE of person that would abuse your teammates.

Those who tend to verbally abuse teammates tend to lose 16% more games. I don't think they lost because they verbally abused said teammates, instead I think it is something else like the skill level or personality of those players doesn't lend itself to winning as much.

So really if you're a dick as a person, you're 16% less likely to win regardless of if you abuse your teammates or not.

Basically Riot should just flash the words "DON'T BE A DICK" before every match.
This is just wrong. There is most definitely something to be said about verbally abusing your teammates, and this resulting in more losses - regardless of the type of person you are. If as a test, you had a really nice person have a bad day and spent all day ripping on his team mates - instead of supporting them as a true team mate, then there is a greater chance he will have worse match results.

If I am having a bad game and go 0-3 in the first 5 minutes, my performance begins to worsen dramatically when my team mates begin flaming me. It's very likely that I will go 0-5 shortly after (regardless of the other teams skill level - since you could argue that im only 0-3 because Im being out classed by the other team, and will therefore continue to perform poorly). This is just simply because of my morale. If my team mates encourage me and say 'don't worry about it - we got this' - I am more likely to rebound and correct my mistakes.

NHapollo

12-27-2012

I am also a masterdebater. 4N6.

Prophet Six

12-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotDerivative View Post
It is actually pretty relevant. Anytime you deal with distributions containing multiple variables, you will be dealing with multiple integrals. I see it everywhere especially in Bayesian statistics. If you do statistical computing, one of the main responsibilities is "optimization." When you have multiple variables in an analysis or simulation, all of the data points form a surface or multidimensional geometric figure that you must optimize on. This is common in statistical computing and machine learning.

The only time I have seen polar coordinates was in seeing a proof on creating random normally distributed values using only uniform random numbers. That was pretty cool.

I must be wasting my time studying Sociology because I couldn't follow that at all.

Robtard

12-27-2012

Quote:
It is actually pretty relevant. Anytime you deal with distributions containing multiple variables, you will be dealing with multiple integrals. I see it everywhere especially in Bayesian statistics. If you do statistical computing, one of the main responsibilities is "optimization." When you have multiple variables in an analysis or simulation, all of the data points form a surface or multidimensional geometric figure that you must optimize on. This is common in statistical computing and machine learning.

The only time I have seen polar coordinates was in seeing a proof on creating random normally distributed values using only uniform random numbers. That was pretty cool.
When you're looking at data with tons of variables and you want to check out just a few for "optimizing", would you just do partial derivatives to pull those variables out while leaving the rest constant to drop off and then at that point you can be left with something in R3 or greater for analysis? that stuff isn't so bad as far as finding critical points and whathaveyou but don't you typically just jam it into statistical software (such as the open source R) to get what you're looking for?

I guess that i'm just struggling with that age old idea of "I'm never gonna use this stuff when I'm in the work place"

Also, do you still run hypothesis tests? I feel like i've been doing them forever and hope they're worth it.

Fat of the Land

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2012

The quote does not say cause, necessarily follows, due to etc. There is no causal language at all. You are a free to draw your own conclusions from the hard data.

A Rabid Teemo

12-27-2012

Quote:
You are correct that correlation != causation, but it can be assumed that this statistic was computed from a population. That is, this statement comes straight from the data and is not an inference about future data.
That still proves nothing about causality....

Criomhthann

12-27-2012

Tilting is a very difficult concept to comprehend. Apparently.

RiotDerivative

Data Scientist

12-27-2012
5 of 6 Riot Posts

>> I must be wasting my time studying Sociology because I couldn't follow that at all.

Sociology has a lot of uses in games and in general!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robtard View Post
When you're looking at data with tons of variables and you want to check out just a few for "optimizing", would you just do partial derivatives to pull those variables out while leaving the rest constant to drop off and then at that point you can be left with something in R3 or greater for analysis? that stuff isn't so bad as far as finding critical points and whathaveyou but don't you typically just jam it into statistical software (such as the open source R) to get what you're looking for?

I guess that i'm just struggling with that age old idea of "I'm never gonna use this stuff when I'm in the work place"

Also, do you still run hypothesis tests? I feel like i've been doing them forever and hope they're worth it.
What you are saying is basically correct. You could optimize for a particular variable or parameter by doing partial derivatives. If you take mathematical statistics (usually junior/senior level), you will learn this. The same is true for statistical models that have a lot of parameters. You can study the behavior of one or more parameters by integrating out the ones that are not of interest.

Something like R would be used to actually do the optimization, but it is good to know how it works under the hood. For example, what if this complicated surface is not differentiable? Then, R won't give a very reliable result. If you don't know that, then you might report a result that is incorrect.

I still use hypothesis tests for certain things to convince myself, or someone else, that I am correct ;-). They are more powerful for small samples though (less than millions).

Ronnie Law

12-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBalla View Post
This is just wrong. There is most definitely something to be said about verbally abusing your teammates, and this resulting in more losses - regardless of the type of person you are. If as a test, you had a really nice person have a bad day and spent all day ripping on his team mates - instead of supporting them as a true team mate, then there is a greater chance he will have worse match results.

If I am having a bad game and go 0-3 in the first 5 minutes, my performance begins to worsen dramatically when my team mates begin flaming me. It's very likely that I will go 0-5 shortly after (regardless of the other teams skill level - since you could argue that im only 0-3 because Im being out classed by the other team, and will therefore continue to perform poorly). This is just simply because of my morale. If my team mates encourage me and say 'don't worry about it - we got this' - I am more likely to rebound and correct my mistakes.
Sorry bud, but I feel like your assessment is fully off the mark.
First off, you made quite a few absolute statements and have no data to back them up.
That's called an assumption, and while I'm not a statistics nut, historically, blatant assumptions tend to lead to incorrect logic.

Extending your example, if you have a bad day and then a bad game and get criticized you are likely to not play another game, thus you will not lose the game you choose not to play.
More importantly, you do not influence the outcome of this theoretical game for your 4 theoretical teammates. Maybe, because your poor state was inflamed, you call it a day and don't cause a loss the next game.

On the other hand, if you receive positive reinforcement, you are still likely to lose the game, and it is also likely you queue and lose again.

Under the negative reinforcement scenario, a positive outcome is may be met.
Under the positive reinforcement scenario, a negative outcome is may be met.

Also, there is the assumption that you cannot rip on your team AND play towards the goal of winning. That's wrong, sometimes the way to avoid a disaster is to create a social bias that promotes avoiding said disaster, and often this is with very abrasive language, because lets be honest, that's what gets attention. I'm not saying it always works or even works the majority of the time or is even executed properly, but it DOES happen, and it DOES have positive effects. Whether the net gain is positive or negative is open to debate, but assuming the variables are simple is inadequate and will lead to inaccurate assessments.

As far as the whole rebound thing, again I think it is an assumption that negative reinforcement cannot result in a positive outcome.

"Stop playing like a noob and farm under your turret, I'll be there in a minute to save your lane."

Overall, the language here is very negative, and it will likely be seen as a negative attitude.
I'm not going to pretend it's a positive statement but I do believe it to be a REALISTIC statement.
REALISTIC attitudes win games, not positive or negative attitudes.

Again, I think this requires players to be objective about the game and their teammates.
Given that, I don't find it at all surprising that a society that is socially retarded has so many issues cooperating in an anonymous environment.
Most people are simply unwilling or incapable of being that objective.

Again, a game that fosters placing players on more equal ground where they can actually trust each other would do wonders to create a better environment overall.

TheRealOsama

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2012

84% of statistics are made up anyways