Why is the Void a problem?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Goau

12-27-2012

I've been theory-crafting on my own and, through reading the lore on different champions, I have a few ideas of where the Void originated, who caused the problem with it, and how it was dealt with in the past. Please note these are all my personal speculations and nothing more. I don't even have the timelines of where the champions were released, not that that would make much of a difference, so I apologize if the timelines are off.

How it began:
In Shurima, a mage seeking power risked his life to attain a new body and more power than he could image. This mage's name was Xerath. He succeeded, but was imprisoned for his recklessness. Sometime during the ritual, however, he tore open a dimensional rift into another world: The Void. After he was imprisoned and entombed, possibly years later, the Voidborn attacked, beginning in Shurima where the rift was largest.

How it was dealt with:
The mages of Shurima, powerful and beyond that of those in modern Runeterra, fought and defeated the creatures from the Void, but it was not easily won. Many died, others converted and began worshiping the monsters, and the Voidborn were able to sow fear and devastation into the world.
After they were defeated and sent back to the Void, the followers managed to escape and founded a city to freely worship their gods. They were found out, killed in some kind of purge, and much of the history and records of the Void were erased from history.
Lesser creatures of the Void may have used these followers to manifest themselves into the world once more, but they were unable to keep their strengths. This would explain one reason why the creatures of the Void were wiped from history records: to keep others from mimicking the now dead followers.

Where the Void originated:
Shurima, of course, then Icathia. In modern Runeterra, the ruins of Icathia remain, providing those such as Malzahar, one gifted in prophecy, to recount what happened or be effected by the past. He could very well be a descendant of one of the Void followers that was missed, thus granting him a small link to the other dimension.
For Cho'Gath, my guess is that he was able to find the rift that had been created long ago and, through brute force alone, tore his way through. This did, however, leave him weakened and unable to resist the League when they found him.
Malzahar followed his visions to Icathia, where he became a mental anchor, one connected to the past and gifted in powerful magic, for a much more powerful Voidborn.
Kog'Maw, perhaps the child of this second Voidborn, manifested himself into the world. Manifested, in my opinion, means he left behind parts of himself, such as physical strength, mental capacity, and the much of his memory. By what we know of the little guy, he was a glutton in the Void, constantly eating.
Finally, Kha'Zix is a special case. I believe he may have been a parasite on one of the nomads of Shurima. His lore says he was fragile and weak, possibly either from his trip through the Void or, what I believe, he literally infiltrated Runeterra as a fetus. When he grew of age, or at least old enough to begin his mission, he killed his host, devoured it, gained its strength, then proceeded to kill any witnesses.

One last thing:
Kassadin was, like Ezreal and his lore says, an explorer of sorts. When he found Icathia, he did, unknowingly, stumble upon a secret the Void had turned to protecting with a passion, so much so they were willing to send one of their most powerful warriors and a trusted child to protect. Thanks to the League and the trials of leaving the Void, he was able to find out of the horrors amassing and waiting.
The Voidborn were not happy when a trespasser appeared on their most guarded secret. They tried to kill the explorer, but failed due to a stone left behind to fight off the Void. This stone is now with Kassadin always, and is even his passive ability in game.

Conclusion:
Xerath unknowingly revealed Runeterra to the Void. There was a war. Icathia was built to serve the Void's inhabitants, but fell and was nearly wiped out. Due to the mages of Shurima fearing the return of Icathia, they destroyed much of their knowledge, magic included, to ensure no other followers would emerge. The Voidborn have found the rift and are picking at it, slowly sending warriors, assassins, and scouts through it, even manipulating those with powerful magic. Finally, when the Void does break through, I think Xerath and Kassadin are going to be the only ones who can fight them effectively. Xerath being the muscle and Kassadin the assassin.

Blaine Tog

12-27-2012

A very interesting read, nicely put together.

I wouldn't sell the League Champions short, though. Nasus and Renekton are gods, Morgana and Kayle are angels, Annie and Syndra may have magical potential to rival that of Xerath, Anivia is immortal, Brand is an avatar of the world, Leona and Diana are avatars of the sun and moon, and of course the summoners themselves are quite powerful and numerous as well.

Goau

12-27-2012

You missed what I said. I said Xerath and Kassadin were the only ones who could fight them effectively; Xerath because he was alive at the time and should know many of the lost spells and magics, and Kassadin because he has seen the Void and escaped it.

True, other League champions could fight against them, but probably not effectively, heck some may even fight with the Voidborn or not fight at all. Nasus is powerful, but he fought against others of his kind in his world that assumed they were gods, not gods themselves. Kayle's lore says she is immortal, but, if that is the case, why is the war among her kind? Those like Annie and Syndra would be more likely to go into hiding out of fear of persecution from the summoners. Anivia, and maybe even Brand for his own reasons, would probably fight against the Void as protectors. Finally, Leona and Diana... being a mortal avatar is different from being something like Brand.

Lastly, the summoners... Considering they took Hecarim's order to put him into the League, are unable to control Fiddlesticks, and... it just seems like they are at war with conspiracies more than preventing wars. It just seems the nexuses are their main weapons. Plus, I do believe they all were mages at first, but chose a different field of magical study. I could be wrong about all of this, but it just seems they need to take lessons from the champions, such as the mages.

Anyway, thank you for the comment Blaine Tog and I am glad you enjoyed reading my theory.

Borkcire

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goau View Post
You missed what I said. I said Xerath and Kassadin were the only ones who could fight them effectively;
Kassadin has his own private group and supporters of people who are fighting the Void. I presume they are powerful and experienced individuals if Kassadin allowed them to help him.

Also, I think that Rengar would join in the action, too. Even though his only contact prior to the League was Kha'zix, he'd jump at the opportunity to fight and kill others of the insect's ilk.

Goau

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borkcire View Post
Kassadin has his own private group and supporters of people who are fighting the Void.
This is something I forgot about. Do you have a link I could look at it to find out more about them?

Thank you for commenting and reminding me of that interesting bit of information Borkcire.

Borkcire

12-29-2012

Quote:
This is something I forgot about. Do you have a link I could look at it to find out more about them?

Thank you for commenting and reminding me of that interesting bit of information Borkcire.
This is where it's mentioned

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wik...me_1,_Issue_28

That's the only mention I know of.

KiteMeGood

12-29-2012

Quote:
You missed what I said. I said Xerath and Kassadin were the only ones who could fight them effectively; Xerath because he was alive at the time and should know many of the lost spells and magics, and Kassadin because he has seen the Void and escaped it.

True, other League champions could fight against them, but probably not effectively, heck some may even fight with the Voidborn or not fight at all. Nasus is powerful, but he fought against others of his kind in his world that assumed they were gods, not gods themselves. Kayle's lore says she is immortal, but, if that is the case, why is the war among her kind? Those like Annie and Syndra would be more likely to go into hiding out of fear of persecution from the summoners. Anivia, and maybe even Brand for his own reasons, would probably fight against the Void as protectors. Finally, Leona and Diana... being a mortal avatar is different from being something like Brand.

Lastly, the summoners... Considering they took Hecarim's order to put him into the League, are unable to control Fiddlesticks, and... it just seems like they are at war with conspiracies more than preventing wars. It just seems the nexuses are their main weapons. Plus, I do believe they all were mages at first, but chose a different field of magical study. I could be wrong about all of this, but it just seems they need to take lessons from the champions, such as the mages.

Anyway, thank you for the comment Blaine Tog and I am glad you enjoyed reading my theory.
The problem with Xerath is as Ryze is enslaved to the magic, not in control of it. He tries to seal it and he will become the very vessel of the void.

Goau

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteMeGood View Post
The problem with Xerath is as Ryze is enslaved to the magic, not in control of it. He tries to seal it and he will become the very vessel of the void.
What does Ryze have to do with this? And how is he enslaved by magic? I thought his lore stated that he was a human mage, but became a creature of magic. Xerath is a mage ascended into magic with a mind of its own. The two are different. The Void really has nothing to do with Xerath in his current state, other than that I think he first caused the rift that the creatures of the Void came through, as he is of arcane magic and energy, not whatever the Void is made of. Otherwise, he'd be spawning voidlings as well.

Anyway, thank you for the comment KiteMeGood.

KiteMeGood

12-29-2012

Quote:
Well, no big mysteries here. Mages are an inherently pompous and self-important lot. The appearance of every arcane dabbler on the Fields of Justice is always followed by a ritualistic group assertion of the inadequacy of his specific talents. Then, if the rookie hasn’t washed out or accidentally incinerated himself with the backwash of a spell (assuming here that you trust Annie’s dubious claims of noninvolvement), these assertions are chased by insistence that the new brand of magic is somehow a perversion of everything right and sensible in the world, and completely unlike all the previous perversions which, by virtue of critical exhaustion, have become right and sensible. This said, I ferried your missive to Ryze anyhow, just to validate my point.

“The creature called Xerath is an abomination of a mage. To master magic is not to lose oneself to it entirely! The power at his command, however great it might be, he’s holding in a feeble grasp. His own will can’t match the will of the arcane. The ancient mages of Shurima did everyone a favor locking Xerath away, and the Institute of War would be wise to follow their example!”
Here you go, if Xerath tries again without the mages stopping him. Things will be very bad since if a person such as Ryze thinks you are going to be asking for trouble.

Goau

12-29-2012

Okay. While that may not be the perspective of the ancient mages of Shurima, for all we know they could have locked him up because they could not kill him (the reason for wanting to kill him because he had used the ritual), what you've quoted is interesting. Thank you for that bit.

However, I still do not see what his connection to the Void is.