Summoners who verbally abuse their team lose 16% more games.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KiStorm

12-26-2012

Cause and Effect:

Win because you are pressing an advantage or attacking another teams vulnerable points (Ace then Nexus otherwise Force surrender through demoralization or realisation of an almost impending loss)

So you're hitting them where it hurts, for 20 minutes and theres no emotion involved in game-play?Clearly Abuse in-game shows emotions tie in to our playing so how is it we can all remain positive about losing when it simply isn't a good feel. I mean i've still had fun sometimes but I normally play to have fun, this often means a snowball and a win, sneaking a win is less fun for me than fights but i play fights to win so how can balancing a game not cause disparity for the half of leagues players suffering a loss? The win ratios of league in total match-made games is 50%, 5 win, 5 lose.

5 winners and 5 losers and with the amount of complexity in each game and human emotion this factor of "fighting" alone is causing social problems and the last place that will be able to fix them, much like walking in to a boxing ring and telling them its wrong to hurt each other is a silly strategy.

KiStorm

12-26-2012

It's about fights, it will get serious, if you don't lay off you're gonna make bottlenecks, cause people to supress their own emotions leading to outbursts and nowhere to vent, not even the interwebs and BOOM toxic society spreading like a contagious virus from one reaction to the next, the internet toxicity becomes real toxicity with no resolution other than containment, solitude and segregation as emotions are fueled by interactions, reactions and inter-relationships along with relationships and media will no longer be the medium, the outside world will be.

RiotDerivative

Data Scientist

12-26-2012
1 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHaro View Post
This doesn't make sense...

"Correlation does not mean causation" is a theme taught to me by my statistics teacher in highschool.

It is equally likely that the team that loses are more likely to verbally abuse their teammates

Hence this is misleading

Edit: reworded the post to be more "correct"
You are correct that correlation != causation, but it can be assumed that this statistic was computed from a population. That is, this statement comes straight from the data and is not an inference about future data.

garen2 alistar1

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotDerivative View Post
You are correct that correlation != causation, but it can be assumed that this statistic was computed from a population. That is, this statement comes straight from the data and is not an inference about future data.

wot the fok did u just say to me?

SubzeroKelvin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotDerivative View Post
Translation: OP is right, Riot makes no conclusion from this data, we just present it.

St0rmaker

12-26-2012

Yea, RiotDerivative is right. Not that I would be able to verify his claims. Perhaps they will change when you take his AntiDerivative and discover his true form?

RiotDerivative

Data Scientist

12-26-2012
2 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0rmaker View Post
Yea, RiotDerivative is right. Not that I would be able to verify his claims. Perhaps they will change when you take his AntiDerivative and discover his true form?
Ah, but you are assuming I am integrable!

RiotDerivative

Data Scientist

12-26-2012
3 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubzeroKelvin View Post
Translation: OP is right, Riot makes no conclusion from this data, we just present it.
Thanks! I appreciate it. New around here and have to remember I am not talking to stuffy statisticians :-).

Zardoc

12-26-2012

Pretty sure that's just a joke.

natemiddleman2

12-26-2012

I agree with the op. Please change the wording of this as it does not makes sense. Verbal abuse is usually the effect not the cause.

Players are 16% more likely to lose if they verbally abuse their teammates
When players lose they are 16% more likely to verbally abuse their teammates