How do you guys feel about the Elo system?

It's fine. 7 21.21%
We need to at least TRY to find something different 26 78.79%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

I think Elo is a bad rating system.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nikkins

12-25-2012

For LoL at least, and here's why. I have played 11 games I believe, and only won 2. I Don't deserve 2k Elo or something but I definitely deserve more than what I have. MY Elo drops because OTHERS feed. Or because OTHERS leave. 5 losses right there from these reasons in the past week alone. Last week went 9/3 with Riven. Bot fed the ADC melted me. Last night as a support I went 3/4/30something. Picked up the kills that were gonna be lost, turned the teamfights with Sona's ult, did everything by the books and fed the ADC, didn't take cs, had enough gold from runes masteries and items, and warded all the key areas on the map.. But both top and mid fed, and we couldn't carry. I know deep down that IF there was a better way to rank players than Elo you guys would do it, but for the love of Ryze please try to figure something out. It's not fair that MY Elo goes in the toilet for feeders and quitters. And it's discouraging me from playing. If I lose by my own flaws, fine. I just can't stand MY rating going down for OTHERS.

MastrLuigi

12-25-2012

I like how people are often quick to go "herp derp the system is fine, you'll win if you're good". In a game with 10 players, there's only so much you can do to influence the outcome. And that only applies in games where other players are actually of the same relative skill level. The elo system works better at higher elos but is failtastic at lower ones.

pizzzzak

12-26-2012

No this system is terrible, mainly because if a noob gets carried a couple games he will end up being on my team in the 1400's and suck a fat one. There is no reason somebody with 200 wins should be on my team where I have 40 wins. One person can only do so much.

Troa

12-26-2012

The problem here is you need a suggestion. Going "hey, we're going to try this system" is a HUGE investment, because it will take weeks, if not months, to see if it's even valid. "There must be a better way, change something" simply will not do anything without some actual ideas flowing or taken from another game.

Is it perfect? HELL no. But I personally don't know of a better solution, and do not see one posted here.

jaybay123

12-27-2012

the elo system tends to punish people who play more ranked games than those who don't

Arcticfury

12-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzzzak View Post
No this system is terrible, mainly because if a noob gets carried a couple games he will end up being on my team in the 1400's and suck a fat one. There is no reason somebody with 200 wins should be on my team where I have 40 wins. One person can only do so much.
Or a noob got carried a few games and placed in your 1360s and was placed on the other team (which does happen 25% more often than on your team) and you win a few of these bumping you to 1470s when you aren't good enough for that area and then you lose the next few games and complain that it was a noob on your team when you were indirectly carried too high by the noobs on the other teams. And then we see the guy in the 1470s complain that a noob (you) was carried and placed on his team and he lost.

It's so funny that you don't complain about the noobs on the other team in the game you got 18 kills, but I am sure you do complain about the noobs on your team when you received 0 kills.

Ah, that's right, there are never noobs on the other team, you're just that good when you carry, the noobs are never on the other team.

False logic bud, try again. The noob (unless you are the noob) is on the other team 25% more often than on your team.

lFalse Kingl

12-28-2012

This elo is not based on how good you are but how good the team is. Clearly, if you get matched with trolls, you don't get the elo you would have but the elo, you mixed with a troll.

Here's the troll formula for the current elo.

Your elo - random troll elo = YOUR NEW ELO

So if you have 2000 elo and the troll has 980, your lol elo would be 1020. Isn't that awesome?

Elf Elix

12-28-2012

I would like it if there was a way to reset your elo (to what ever the standard is when you reach benchmark level 30)

I got to lvl 30 and played some ranked with my friends and we lost some. I was ok because it was only the first 2. Then I went and played some on my own, and Im gunna be honest, I only take the blame for losing 2.

1. I told them I'm a mean support with taric, they said "noooooo mundo"
2. My isp head some weird "drop" on my side of town.

The other ones...were, lemme get you an example of a game I played last night with my friend.

---------------------------
-I'm playing daruis-

*E, W* (now I've got 4 of their 5 team under our turret)
*auto, Q* (I've drastically lowered their health and slowed a squishy)

Fiora: <_>
Sona: <_>
Me: :|
--------------------------------------------
edit: my gilloteen was on cooldown. (yes I know the internal cd, I thought I had it when I hit cait, but she made it away.)

KayLix

12-28-2012

no the elo system is just pure bad... yes your team is something u have 2 work 4 but wtf?! if other lanes fed, you take suffer 2? riot basically just takes 5 person randomly who are in the queue and put them together and say here u go and deal with it. 80% of my loses are ones trolls or d/cs... 20% are acutally people are bad or trying a new position or testing a new champ.

it also saddens me when im the only one on the team who has the positive score...

there is no way u can climb up the elo if u arent lucky... I see people being aggressive when they are 0/4. i just dont get how is playing passive so hard????!!! i even think people in some of the elos doesnt even try to improve... they dont watch streams they just dont learn...

Hakari L

12-29-2012

I had a suggestion based on your net gold income within each game. but people just ignored it because they think I was there to cry about elo hell.
all feeders would die more than they kill, and therefore get a bad net gold income because they feed a lot of gold to the enemy.

Supports should be fine because good supports shouldn't die a lot anyway, plus the fact that they don't have a lot of kills, each time they die they loose less gold than other players.