Calling Lanes, Que Dodging, 3 year olds, and why Riot should take a stance

12345612 ... 26
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

stealthbynight

12-22-2012

This thread deserves more attention.

Lews Therrin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2012

Well thought out and typed. Most of what you say seems like good ideas and should at the least be looked at. Ignore the tl;dr people and the trolls. Unfortunately even if pick order and such is made more friendly, the idiots will always still abound and try to ruin peoples' experience any way they can.

Goodguy Hopper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lews Therrin View Post
Well thought out and typed. Most of what you say seems like good ideas and should at the least be looked at. Ignore the tl;dr people and the trolls. Unfortunately even if pick order and such is made more friendly, the idiots will always still abound and try to ruin peoples' experience any way they can.
Well if i have the approval of the Dragon how can I fail.

On a serious note thanks the last two posts I have been pleasant. I don't care if people think I'm wrong about the solution and disagree with me I just want them to take a good look at the problem.

IrrationalNoob

12-22-2012

I disagree with your solution however queue dodging is a huge problem atm and causes the most amount of frustration above any other issue save one (playing a 4v5 game out when 1 player never connected).

Trolling in lobbies is at an all time high and I was so INCREDIBLY frustrated that I started leveling a smurf account mostly when I had to queue dodge on my main. And do not get me wrong I don't dodge frivolously but there are many others who will refuse to compromise and are willing to play troll games if they do not get their role.

It is much better at certain times of day and at certain elo levels I have found. I would like an option to report troll picks in the lobby so I do not have to play a game of chicken about who will dodge or not because of the obvious troll and nor do my teammates like that pressure.

Nanatsu

12-22-2012

Did you know the roles that the current meta has such as Top/Mid/Jungle/ADC/Healer only exist because of how the player base is playing the game? It not like these roles and set up is iron clad but if Riot were to ever formalize this role selection I will be one of the first to leave this game out right because the great thing about this game and you probably don't know since you are coming off as a hardcore winning is only fun way to play since your making a post like this is that the numbers of combinations outside of the meta roles is where the LoL moments happen, where fighting against the norm and playing the unexpected is fun in of itself. So for pick orders I believe this is something that shouldn't change this process truly shows what kind of players you are playing with and what kind of player you yourself are.

Super Lous

12-22-2012

"The decision to dodge is not an entirely unskilled one either. Rapidly assessing the comparative skill level between your team and your opponents team given limited information is in fact a highly skill intensive decision."

This. Retreating in a real-life battle is oftentimes a good decision. It may be because you're outnumbered, your fellow soldiers suck, your position on the terrain is bad, or the enemy has more guns. LoL should have the same mindset in champ select if you feel a loss is imminent.

Live Lavish

12-22-2012

i downvoted because you called me ADD

acosn

12-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Riel View Post
I do in fact support the opinion that pick order is superior to calling roles.
1. The pick order is reflective of the relative rating of the players, in some small way this means that if both players could only play the same role you have slightly more empirical evidence that suggests which would be better at the disputed role.
Game doesn't sort champion select by player ELO anymore. Your first pick isn't your highest, your last pick isn't your lowest.

Calling lanes is contradictory to the point of draft pick. It's also incredibly selfish, but that's just something you have to deal with. The real problem is that players don't get that in a game balanced around picks and counter picks you don't want to be the one forcing your team into picking blind, or worse, leaving yourself open to being counter picked because you have only one role you want to play.

And I wouldn't get the wrong idea; last picking support is a waste of last pick. Traditionally speaking your last picks should be the easiest lanes to counter pick. Realistically speaking your first two picks should typically be jungle and support or ADC.

Gloradane

12-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanatsu View Post
Did you know the roles that the current meta has such as Top/Mid/Jungle/ADC/Healer only exist because of how the player base is playing the game? It not like these roles and set up is iron clad but if Riot were to ever formalize this role selection I will be one of the first to leave this game out right because the great thing about this game and you probably don't know since you are coming off as a hardcore winning is only fun way to play since your making a post like this is that the numbers of combinations outside of the meta roles is where the LoL moments happen, where fighting against the norm and playing the unexpected is fun in of itself. So for pick orders I believe this is something that shouldn't change this process truly shows what kind of players you are playing with and what kind of player you yourself are.
From what I can gather from reading the OP, this thread is about Solo Queue instead of the entire LoL queuing system. Having fun and trying new things is something I think riot heavily encourages, however, the place for that is in Blind/Draft normal picks. In my opinion, if your playing ranked the only attitude to have is a "hardcore winning is only fun way to play".

Goodguy Hopper

12-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by acosn View Post
Game doesn't sort champion select by player ELO anymore. Your first pick isn't your highest, your last pick isn't your lowest.

Calling lanes is contradictory to the point of draft pick. It's also incredibly selfish, but that's just something you have to deal with. The real problem is that players don't get that in a game balanced around picks and counter picks you don't want to be the one forcing your team into picking blind, or worse, leaving yourself open to being counter picked because you have only one role you want to play.

And I wouldn't get the wrong idea; last picking support is a waste of last pick. Traditionally speaking your last picks should be the easiest lanes to counter pick. Realistically speaking your first two picks should typically be jungle and support or ADC.
Thanks for the heads up.

Didn't know that it wasn't still sorting by elo. Last time i duo queued we got first and last so I assumed it was still based on elo. It makes one of my points invalid, but as you talked about I still think there is a strong case for supporting pick order.

12345612 ... 26