Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CakeDoer

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by damiya View Post
no shoutouts for actionscript? Pfft c++ engineers.
lmao

Kreilian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post

I've not done micro controllers, so excuse my ignorance.
If you went to DigiPen, you worked with microcontrollers in CS105 to make the robot car! (I may have been your TA...) That was using PIC assembly, though.

Obliv

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiya View Post
No shoutouts for Actionscript? Pfft C++ engineers.
Anyone who has used ActionScript (especially 1.0 or 2.0) knows that ActionScript is terrible! I know I do.

Peacefully

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiya View Post
No shoutouts for Actionscript? Pfft C++ engineers.
actionscript wat...? <---- alien language!

only know how to code in C#, java, and partly assembly

Sancta

12-21-2012

I tried for a year to get you guys to answer my resumes as I have a fair degree of work experience. A bit annoyed that even though I live in the area, I've never been given a chance to drop by your Santa Monica office and speak with someone in HR. Even contacted some of you guys directly through Twitter to no avail. >:

Bolby

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Fendo View Post
Not all fields are about making massive money, some are about doing something you genuinely enjoy doing. I can't speak for riot but from people I know in the gaming industry it isn't this gigantic paycheck field, its more on the side of enjoyment. I'm in a position out of college working for united airlines, yes out of college at the second biggest airline in the us, as a project manager for mostly international locations. Most people would consider to be more on the money side but as someone who enjoys, essentially planning events, I lucked out.

I had no experience in the airline industry and my project management skills were on the very small scale coming out of college but as many people have said before getting a job is more about showing whoever is interviewing you why they can't afford to let you work for a competitor. Best tip I can give anyone for an interview is go in with confidence and show them what you can do for the company that nobody else brings.
Giving a payroll example for what you are going to offer is extremely useful, and will draw more attention. Sure it is nice to have passionate people. But how will you draw their attention if all you have to offer is a name? You could go through the whole process, get excited and boom you hear "The position is offering 30k a year, non-competitive".

Well to start out, I know these folks are stationed around the west coast, specifically California. 30 Grand a year, no matter how passionate I am about any job, would not get me to move to that state, solely for the purpose of a job. 30K a year is barely essentials in most states, and if you are going to bypass that you would have to be in Kansas, or a state like Ohio to decently enjoy yourself with that income. On top of this, the economy that we currently inhabit is extremely poor, by all standards, There is no way around it. So if I am looking for a job, and I have experience, vast experience that, literally all companies are looking for. Am I inclined to become interested in the job that has no income specifics, or anything salary related. Or start looking at job postings that give a clear concise outline of everything I would like to know. Moving information, income, extensive position details, and what benefits and being employed may be like.

In this economy, if have ever searched for a job in the past 4 years or more, you should realize that experience is the key factor that all employers are looking for. I have rarely actually seen opening positions in fields outside of medical, and science. Even in mathematical fields, I have seen people seeking 1 year or more of experience. I was fortunate that I have plentiful years of experience to get me to where I am today. I just looked at the postings for giggles essentially. I have no computer backgrounds, beyond the technical knowledge how to build a computer, the functionality, and common purposes.This was the first time I have seen job postings where the income potential was not in clear print, or at-least given a spot where you could further find out such information.

So many of these jobs that Riot is posting are extremely competitive in nature. Anything with 1 or more years as a requisite in experience, are going to shorten the people who they are going to receive. Sure they will get better results, but if they are not willing to put a solid offer, and many other companies give a standard offer, that may be better than what Riot gives in its finality. It may come down to just logical standards. As I said, no one enjoys being financial insecure and struggling over bills. Regardless of how passionate you are about something. California is a state full of economical issues right now. I lived there for around 6 years of my life. It is not cheap to live there. I had base housing to supplement me. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been otherwise. Million dollar homes in California, are nothing like million dollar homes in Ohio.

Damiya

Technical Analyst

12-21-2012
45 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliv View Post
Anyone who has used ActionScript (especially 1.0 or 2.0) knows that ActionScript is terrible! I know I do.
Lucky me, I get to write 3.0. But yea I worked with AS2.0 and Scaleform 3 when I was doing some modding work as a player on The Secret World and *woof*. No thanks.

I much prefer having neat bells and gizmos to make my life easy.

But it's not that bad a language, and you can do some fun stuff with Flash, so it works out well I think.

Tonric

12-21-2012

You know, I have to say this thread seems to be missing one of the biggest pictures out there: Riot is a powerful company, economically speaking, which means they can post requirements that are high and actually have them met.

Look, I majored in writing and did tons of crazy, weird extra-curricular, but when I decided I wanted to go into the games industry, barking up a tree like Riot, Blizzard, or Valve just didn't seem practical. Now, I'm working at a smaller tier, mobile developer. They have funding, they make money off their games (seriously, people, the appstore is an absolute godsend for games. The most fertile of fields right now.) Maybe in two years, I'll have that experience to apply to riot. But it just seems like it's something of a pipe dream for most of us laymen. And rather than run around the forums, complaining, maybe we should find the kinds of work, the kinds of experience that riot would want.

Dracorya

12-21-2012

Are the internship positions still open? I can't find them on the site but I was prepping to send in a resume and such for it.

NinetyNineTails

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
But at the very least, I'd rather right procedural code with a C++ compiler so I can ignore some of the more...eh..."archaic" features of C: forcing all declarations to be at the top of a scope, forcing you to write "void" as your parameter list if it takes nothing, "int" as a default type, etc.
How do you feel about Python's explicit self declaration on all member method calls and variables? I really wanted to like Python, based on its reputation, but I loathe that requirement. It's like they took out all the stuff I hated about C and then added an entirely new thing for me to hate even more.