@IronStylus, A New Puzzle for Us?

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 49
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Solari Brigadier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2012

Picture of Quinn

Quinn's Journal Entries:
Quinn's Journal 1
Quinn's Journal 2
Quinn's Journal 3
Quinn's Journal 4
Quinn's Journal 5
Quinn's Journal 6

MAJOR UPDATE 2
Switching the Portuguese pages to the English versions IronStylus posted:
Quinn's Journal 3
Quinn's Journal 4

MAJOR UPDATE
-IronStylus started a thread with new lore hints for the new champion.
-These are the two attachments:
Quinn's Journal 1
Quinn's Journal 2
-Quinn is confirmed to have an ally (presumably her bird companion) named "Valor"
-IronStylus mentions that she "can go where armies cannot reach", hinting that she can fly?
-There is a blue feather at the bottom of the first attachment, and an arrow at the bottom of the second.
-Quinn is a Demacian, ordered by King Jarvan III to kill Talon. However, she is skeptical of the orders and is in contact with both Jarvan IV and Garen about them.

So IronStylus recently mentioned that he had left some clues to the new champion in his first post on the "Badass Female Champ" thread. I humbly hope that this is the start of a new info hunt/game, much like the Diana hype.

Those wondering about the post in question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I'll respond, but I agree with the fact that the thread's beginning doesn't have the most positive tone. I normally don't respond to negativity, but I have some thoughts here. Most of the other comments are fairly positive, so I'll address you rather than the original points and some others I've seen. Thanks for being calm and positive bee tee dubs.

This is an interesting point.

Whilst a muscular lady would probably be default badass, not all badass ladies have to be muscular. With the case of Vi, yes, as I've said, we could've added some bulk, but that's such a subtle change on the geometry level that it's mostly unnoticeable unless you're at model viewer level, and, as you might know from playing the game, we aren't. We're not FPS, we're RTS. The way that Vi's gauntlets are positioned isn't really helped in any way by bulking her up. I like the Calhoon reference from Wreck it Ralph, I think she's an awesome design, and made me think a lot of Vi when I saw the movie, in a good way. However, maybe it's just me, but Vi's youth I feel takes precedence over bulk, and I don't think the youth aspect is served too well by excessive bulk. Thick/thin contrast is what's used here. I think she's fine in that regard. Again, for our camera, for our game, such a subtle geo tweak wouldn't be noticeable and we'd be doing such an adjustment for our own artistic satisfaction rather than the ultimate goal, game readability and clarity for our camera.

I've also said this, more musculature and bulked up anatomy would better suited for a character that's really going to show it off, rather than a character who's primary reads obstruct any added anatomy we might want to add. Better to spend the time and utilize the real estate on a character where you're actually going to notice.. Sejuani would be a good example.

We've learned an interesting tidbit as we've made over a hundred champions. There are different levels of stylization that fit for different character tiers. Female stylization tends to be in the zone where style, anatomy, etc can be pushed. That doesn't mean we limit body-types, we admittedly need more, but if you historically look at a lot of champions, the females are served by more conventional "realistic" body types, the males less so, the humanoids even less, the yordles are super stylized, and the creatures are crazy-go-nuts. If we were to break down female body stylization it might go something like: Athletic female, standard female, voluptuous female, heroic female, brutish female. Examples: Akali, Diana, Miss Fortune, Leona, ______. You might notice the blank. We really don't have the latter, or anything really in it's realm. We have male hulks like Mundo or Scion, but nothing analogous in our females. If I were to throw Vi into one of those areas it'd probably be somewhere between athletic and standard, on the young side. Calhoon would probably be heroic. Mind you that's a very, very, generalized breakdown.

All that said, badass ladies are not always going to be muscular. If they're a harrier of sorts they'll be athletic. If they're tanky they might be more heroic. There was no real intent to stick Vi into a particular slot, she just evolved into her space, that's usually how good character design goes. You don't try to design for the type, you design and the type evolves. Vi could be pushed and pulled here and there but that's splitting hairs I feel. If we make a barbaric Monster Hunter type female then by all means we probably want something closer to brutish and more heavilly stylized. Certain tropes have been tagged by the team which would be ripe for this treatment. Depending on role however, the standard may prevail and clothing, weapon, and sources of power might swap.

Make no mistake, I've had my hand in clawing for us to make more distinct body types, but even when I work on something, as I recently did, it was a better choice to show agility rather than raw muscle because of the role. If we design by role and by what's best for the character, we achieve variety so long as we imagine broadly inside of that role. That's where I feel we should focus our efforts. Not for making an effort to find space for something particular, but for letting a character's development dictate our visual problem solving. Believe me, I've had an eagle's eye on opportunities where we can vary body types, though I haven't as of yet personally worked on anything to ground-breaking.

For future reference, try phrasing and creating threads that push the positive nature of the discussion. I don't fall into the habit of addressing negativity, but I've made an exception here.

And now, what we can pull from it:

- IronStylus mentions different "female body stylizations" (5th paragraph) and offers example champions for each, except for "Brutish Female", which he pairs with a "________".

- IronStylus talked about making a "barbaric Monster Hunter type female", referencing the popular video game franchise (though a quick Google Image search shows many of the Monster Hunter female characters to be built similarly to LoL champions)

- In the second-to-last paragraph, IronStylus italicizes "hand in claw".
- Later in the same paragraph, IronStylus mentions a "better choice to show agility rather than raw muscle"
-Still in the same paragraph, he mentions having "an eagle's eye on opportunities where we can vary body types"

So let's see... a Brutish Female, in the style of Monster Hunter, with multiple references to animal characteristics (claw, eagle's eye). Any ideas?

EDIT

More clues from the same Badass Female Champs thread:
Quote:
It's 4:32 in the morning. This discussion is about anything I want it to be!

Like.. potatoes, toilet paper, ruthless killer birds with an affinity for girls in armor, GO!
(emphasis mine; credit to KamiKhaZix for the find)

And from the "Weapons Riot Hasn't Used Yet" thread:
Quote:
Combo attacks, huh? The mark and the followup? The tag and the hit? The eye and the arrow? The sight and the strike? The call and the bite? The hand and the claw? The bond and the blow?

I like where this is going.
(credit to NotRandoms for the find)

And a clue from this thread!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solari Brigadier View Post
I wonder what IronStylus's favorite Pokemon is.
Braviary, obviously =)
Braviary is an eagle-ish Bird Pokemon, full Pokedex page here.

Asylum Lux

12-21-2012

Udyr's girlfriend incoming

FancyKiddo

12-21-2012

While interesting, that doesn't sound like a way to describe a ranged ADC.

ArmySquirrel

12-21-2012

Rather vague for us to look into, and obviously stereotypes probably won't help us much here. I don't know, some kind of primal hunter cave woman, but I feel like some of this is getting close to Nidalee. Perhaps an ogress of some sort.

MrBoomstickESQ

12-21-2012

Female Eagle Rider?

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Eagle_Rider

Solari Brigadier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySquirrel View Post
Rather vague for us to look into, and obviously stereotypes probably won't help us much here. I don't know, some kind of primal hunter cave woman, but I feel like some of this is getting close to Nidalee. Perhaps an ogress of some sort.
The reference to Monster Hunter and "hand in claw" makes me hope it's some kind of barbarian who throws eagles.

Solari Brigadier

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavium View Post
I could see something like that, definitely. Does Eagle Rider ride eagles? Or turn into them?

KamiKhaZix

12-21-2012

I'm thinking of a Falconer or something of the sort. Though I imagine the attack animation looking strange at really high attack speeds. I don't know.

Solari Brigadier

12-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiKhaZix View Post
I'm thinking of a Falconer or something of the sort. Though I imagine the attack animation looking strange at really high attack speeds. I don't know.
He might need multiple falcons then, I don't quite know. Or his autoattacks could be one thing (like shooting an arrow BECAUSE WE TOTALLY DON'T HAVE CHAMPIONS THAT DO THAT ALREADY I SWEAR TO GOD IRONSTYLUS IF WE HAVE ANOTHER ARCHER I-), and his abilities could involve his falcon?

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

12-21-2012
1 of 22 Riot Posts

Well this is all quite fascinating.

1234511 ... 49