Riot - 3D Character Art by Sam Yang (cgsammu)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Saleem

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2012

how do i work these..

cgsammu

Character Artist

12-19-2012
3 of 56 Riot Posts

Hey guys! just posted Neon Strike Vi renders!

Warrikon

12-19-2012

You are amazing keep it up!!

PlayedSun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

Hey man, as a current animation student myself I find your work to be awesome. I had a few quick questions for you though if you don't mind. I was wondering how much of your 3D knowledge was self-taught vs going to school for (if you did at all). I'm curious because I'm mainly self-taught, in addition to my current 1.5 years of college education. Also, I see that you use 3Ds Max and Maya both, and I was wondering if there was a focus on one program more than the other. I know in the West Coast, Maya tends to be dominant, but as of currently I've only used 3Ds Max, though I am going to be teaching myself Maya over the summer. I have still yet to explore any of the sculpting programs though, although I do own Mudbox. Any suggestions as to what I should be focusing on as far as industry standards go?

I have a thousand other questions I could ask, but I think i'll limit myself to that. Thanks again, and keep up the awesome work! Can't wait to see more.

cgsammu

Character Artist

12-20-2012
4 of 56 Riot Posts

I went to art school yeahh, but in the end..its really up to you right? after I graduated, I didnt stop learning, so being "self taught" is a very important motivation indeed =) Because you need to keep up with the industry standards right? or you'll kinda fall behind.. Yup, I started with Maya, its definitely a great 3D program for animation, but for character modelling, I prefer 3dsmax and ZBrush for sculpting though, its just the fastest and most efficient way for me personally =)

Thanksss!! yeahhh no worries man! if you guys have more questions, just throw it up here I'm more than happy to help out!

PlayedSun

12-20-2012

So are you strictly a modeler or do you do any of the animation aspects as well? I've heard that it's typically good to specialize in one area and be really good at that one thing vs be generally good in a wide variety of things (eg. lighting, rigging, texturing). Obviously it's best to be really awesome at all of these things, but I wasn't sure how true that statement was.

I was curious because if I sat down and focused really hard on modeling and focused everything on just that, is that better than spreading my time out and learning how to do everything, but at the cost of maybe not being as awesome at modeling. Argh dilemmas! xD lol. (once again, sorry for riddling you with questions, lol. Whenever I get a chance to talk to someone in the industry I tend to have a lot to ask)

Lavitztyr

12-20-2012

cool stuff

cgsammu

Character Artist

12-20-2012
5 of 56 Riot Posts

First of all, thanks for reaching out man! I remember back when I was a student, it was very difficult to get industry professional's personal opinion on things..

Hmm, well before working on LoL at Riot, I was working at Blizzard on StarCraft II - Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm for 4 years.
All the 3D Artists on our team were 3D Generalists..meaning, we literally had to help do everything =)
My role was doing in-game modelling/texturing, but at the same time, we had to step in and also do high-res sculpting, vfx, rigging, animation, ui, and even camera scene setups..

So in the end, if your skillful and focusing on modelling - fantastic!!!
But remember, if your ALSO capable of other skills, that makes you pretty darn valuable to the company right? gives you that extra advantage when it comes to the hiring process

And it was K

12-20-2012

I loooooove Neon Strike Vi <3

Ginga

Recruiter

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsammu View Post

Hmm, well before working on LoL at Riot, I was working at Blizzard on StarCraft II - Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm for 4 years.
So...if Riot were to ever begin work on a tentacle-themed champion, they'd come to you right?

You sir, have all of my support...as well as my unreasonably unfair and overly high expectations.