Champion Pricing & Timing Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sairentosutoka

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TzAnonymous View Post
Yea but who honestly cares about these champions except OP Ezreal?

Reneketon, garbage.
Vladimir, lame.
Nocturne, almost as many nerfs as Heimerdinger.
Lee Sin, alright I suppose.
Brand, who cares?
Vayne, why would I buy her instead of Ezreal?
renekton tanky and deals amazing dmg.

vlad tanky deals tons of dmg

nocturne sorta agree

lee sin ****ing boss

brand ult anoying as ****

vayne beats anyone as long as she has taric support and sure as hell beat ez mid/lategame

VerdantDargon

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrookedKilla View Post
I think it's awesome that you guys are implementing these changes, as for the new champ price, I think it is fair considering you're obviously trying to make money on the newer champions, rather than the older ones, so in buying it with IP, you're technically losing money.
Free to Play models work because.... opportunity cost. Thinking in terms of the amount of time to earn even 450 ip versus the cost of 260 RP, the IP is actually more expensive (after all, time is money). Mind you, Riot doesn't get cash from IP purchases, however they get something even more important then cash (its actually what lets them get cash) and that is people playing the game on a regular basis. IP per game plus Win of the Day bonus function as a mixed Fixed interval/variable ratio system of reinforcement. [for clarification, win of the day is fixed interval and per game is variable ratio]

What I'm trying to say here, is that IP is more valuable then RP in the sense that Riot needs to have players, and the fact that IP is used to purchase in game content (even though riot hands you IP for playing the game) is an incentive to play the game more frequently, which makes for a larger playerbase. Larger Playerbase leads eventually to more sales.

TLDR: IP >RP because IP is an incentive to play the game which leads to paying customers.

Oh and person I quoted, you are right that new champs equal more money, purchased with IP or RP.

bloopsound

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sairentosutoka View Post
1."includes the decrease in game dodgers." for what the first week? what about week 2? you know when the price drops? its gonna be just like week 1 before the price change.

2."There are plenty of champions to play" gee i guess the idea of fun was tossed out of the picture you do realise that some of us cant play just 1-2 champions their entire gaming life
(of that game) my friend only plays kog'maw and volibear unfortunitly i can't do that i rarley play the same character within 5 games to try to keep it fun for me the only time i do play the same character multiple games in row is if shes new or im playing with some new friends that i need to carry.

3. so what are these price changes they are a preperation to ease us into the permanent price increase soon the new champions will always be 7800 and not go down within a week.
The point is that people who want the champion that much can get it the first week and be able to play it. You can always purchase them thru RP and you know help riot out for providing free service? Please be honest and tell me you can only afford 1-2 champions... With the free rotation you get like 10 free champions on top of what you bought. Unless you started the game like 5 days ago you should have like 10+ champions. Are you a pro and play all day all night so you need that type of variety? After 3 months I had 20+ champions including 4800 and 6300 champions spending no RP. If you feel like its too long and you have itchy fingers.. buy RP... I have spent 35 dollars playing LoL for almost half a year... bought the zed bundle because I felt it was worth while and you know why? earning a champion playing about 21hrs or spending 1-2 hrs of pay. You make the choice, Riot is not forcing you into anything. You choose how to spend your time and money. They choose their business model and obviously it works..

Tyrlol

12-20-2012

First week 7800 is kind of lame, I'm such an impulse buyer overall this will help us collect them all though, so im happy

Spearis

12-20-2012

Cool can we do something similar about the rediculous prices of skins now?

Shaded Dain

12-20-2012

*buys Lee, Ez and Vanye 3 weeks ago* ... *sighs deeply*

TeeKoy

12-20-2012

GOOD DEAL!! Now I don't have to throw around much money

Vulking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
To clarify, we also want to try and keep our two-week balance cadence where possible. We're figuring out some of the nuts and bolts on this still, but I think it's likely we can maintain that.
Will this open up more room for remakes?

Zylph

12-20-2012

does this means 6300 champions are gonna be 450 ip at some point?

Kienna

12-20-2012

Very nice, I was starting to wonder why prices were so riggid with there being over 100 champions now. I can now focus on buying just the new ones, and let the older ones I have left to buy drop down in price tiers... unfortunatly, I don't have many old ones left to buy, but this is still a move I support!