Champion Pricing & Timing Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WarlordAlpha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

I think this is a very good compromise and more or less solves all of the current problems (inconsistent reductions, lack of parity between RP/IP pricing, etc.).

(compromise may sound like a funny word, but really we are meeting somewhere in between "the prices are too damn high!" and "rioters need to eat too")

Good stuff Hippalus.

Morello

Lead Designer

12-20-2012
7 of 8 Riot Posts

To clarify, we also want to try and keep our two-week balance cadence where possible. We're figuring out some of the nuts and bolts on this still, but I think it's likely we can maintain that.

Todd Edwinn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

Fantastic changes all across the board.

I like the increased temporary price and think it's incredibly fair in combination with the falling IP Price over time. If you don't enjoy the new prices, just wait a week and it's available for the standard 6300.

If you are complaining about the new prices of brand new champions, just wait one week. You've played the game before a particular champion was released, I am sure you'll be just fine for one more week. Don't forget also that you will get him for even less if you wait a fraction of time longer. This is incredibly fair.

Thefishgeek12

12-20-2012

When does this take place cause in the store alot of them still say 975 rp.

bloopsound

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnthmp View Post
You're missing the point. Waiting for a champion to go DOWN to REGULAR price isn't a benefit or increasing affordability. Nor is a 2 year wait for that champion to actually fall below their current NORMAL release price.

You do realize that every 3 weeks 1 champion will become $1 cheaper.

And every 6 weeks 1 champion will become $1 cheaper and an additional champion will also become $1 cheaper.
It is a benefit because:
1. Riot makes money so that we can all enjoy this game they have provided for free.... People will buy new champions regardless of "affordability" so any byproduct of this is going to be a plus which includes the decrease in game dodgers. You kinda need riot to be profitable to continue to develop and support the game.
Lets scale "affordability!" how much you want the champion vs time you are will to put in. For me it takes about 2 weeks to make 6300 ip playing about 3 hrs a day. Are you willing to play 21 hrs or pay about 14 dollars worth or riot points roughly (1-2hrs of work depending on pay)
2. There are plenty of champions to play... please don't have the notion that an increase in price will inhibit this ability. Free week is a plethora of champs including new ones to try if you please. You can wait if you feel things are over priced...

Alythar

12-20-2012

Thanks for this change, Riot. I'm sorry that a lot of people are raging over a one-week temporary increase in an artificial currency that flows like water if you play the game even somewhat often. It's nice of you not to raise the RP cost at all for that initial week.

Despite how mad anyone is acting, you really aren't decreasing the quality of anyone's game experience (it won't kill anyone to wait a week or play a handful of extra games for IP if they can't).

Finally thanks for your extreme transparency on this issue. You're an admirable company, creatively and in terms of business vision. Cheers.

Unmarune

12-20-2012

Anyone else think they are getting out of control with greed? I understand its "free to play" but there is a huge amount of money going into their pockets at this point and its getting extremely greed driven. You would think with the millions that go into their banks each month they could afford GOOD Servers, more active admins and better thought out (non-cookie cutter) champs. Just seems to me they are jacking prices up more and more and we are getting less and less as customers. Its just my opinion, so if you don't like it move on. I would rather not see you scream for hours over it.

DocLolliday

12-20-2012

Upping the first week price is a great way for Riot to offset the potential loss of revenue by encouraging players to purchase these Champs with RP in the first week as the RP price is still 975. Players are more likely to purchase with RP what costs more with IP to get "all their money's worth".

I think it is a very tactful way for Riot to earn a little more from more eager players and to give the community what they want with all the other changes. Good Job Riot!

Trazier

12-20-2012

I knew all along they'd make new stuff cost more than 6300, and here i'm proven right.

Leonzombiekiller

12-20-2012

I think these are good changes but if you are gonna reduce a champs ip price and refund the difference to the summoner, why does have it to be up to two weeks ago? It's not fair for everyone that bought the champ and they are not getting a refund.. so please makes this a bit more fair for everyone..