Some simple Volibear playability thingies

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Volty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Game Designer

12-20-2012
7 of 14 Riot Posts

Thank you everyone who has contributed to the discussion! I really appreciate your input and especially the varying points of view.

So big update:

I talked to Morello today, we have a gameplan to move forward with into testing. All skills will remain in very recognizable forms, but with some significant changes aimed a solving some specific issues. Without disclosing all the details, these are the goals (and some of the solutions.)

- Avoid pitfalls of the fighter role, including binary performance entirely dependent on closing to melee. In plainer terms, we want Volibear to reach melee somewhat more consistently but not become massively threatening until he spends a little bit of time there first.
- Ensure jungle viability.
- Clean up scaling, probably by removing AP in favor of other stats. (Health scaling to remain.)
- R cast while moving, enough said.

I also discussed our approach with Live Design, who are enthusiastic about the direction.

I will try to get the changes into playtest soon, and will post more updates as I can.

heat511

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

His problem imo is he is easily kited. This leads to either teamfight scenarios where you wreck everyone with his ult and have a lot of fun or just stand there being semi useless.

I'd like to see a slow (even a small one) on the burst dmg on his W. Even if you had to adjust his Q accordingly. Another idea is shorter cooldown on his Q and have it clear snares although that could be OP.

I've had a few games where I carried harder than anything ever with him. Old ionic spark (has it changed recently?) plus his ult was/is terrifying in the right circumstance. HP scaling skills are inherently hard to balance due to itemization though although the new items are a step in the right direction.

I guess my main beef with him would be this. You pop Q and run in. Your priority target flashes away, the buff wears off and you get kited. With strong initiate this doesn't matter and you still contribute. Without that you end up just being a sad bear and a lot of team comps rely on his role (top/jungler) being the strong initiate.

One last thought, his passive cooldown is long as hell and when it is up ignites make you sad. This is really a built in problem with the champ that wouldn't be so frustrating if something else was slightly tweaked in his kit.

One more thought (sorry been drinking). His base attack speed is really slow considering his ult. You need frozen mallet to not spend your entire time chasing and you need attack speed items to drive his ult. You also need to build tanky to not get splatted. Lategame full item voli is perfectly strong (maybe OP honestly) but most games don't get there and the interim can be rough in terms of figuring out what you need when to maximize effectiveness.

Volty

Game Designer

12-20-2012
8 of 14 Riot Posts

I want to also be really clear that this is just a plan for testing---none of this is set in stone or will necessarily see live servers.

But we are making progress!

ZodiacsClockwork

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volty View Post
Thank you everyone who has contributed to the discussion! I really appreciate your input and especially the varying points of view.

So big update:

I talked to Morello today, we have a gameplan to move forward with into testing. All skills will remain in very recognizable forms, but with some significant changes aimed a solving some specific issues. Without disclosing all the details, these are the goals (and some of the solutions.)

- Avoid pitfalls of the fighter role, including binary performance entirely dependent on closing to melee. In plainer terms, we want Volibear to reach melee somewhat more consistently but not become massively threatening until he spends a little bit of time there first.
- Clean up scaling, probably by removing AP in favor of other stats. (Health scaling to remain.)

I also discussed our approach with Live Design, who are enthusiastic about the direction.

I will try to get the changes into playtest soon, and will post more updates as I can.
Now one of my favorite rioters

Redwind5527

12-20-2012

I know this might sound annoying but what about E fearing champs to just a small fear I mean that's not rly that bad is it ?

ZodiacsClockwork

12-20-2012

Quote:
I want to also be really clear that this is just a plan for testing---none of this is set in stone or will necessarily see live servers.

I love seeing some progress over no progress

helmlock

12-20-2012

I really loved the idea that voli's E and R could be fused together and you guys developing a new E.could definitely work out.

Shyuroshio

12-20-2012

I support this. Volleybare could use some lovin'.

CoolHandJack

12-20-2012

Quote:

Really appreciate the communication with the players.

Cyraknoss

12-20-2012

Quote:

So big update:

Makes me rather hopeful, especially the "reach melee more consistently" as that's always been Volibears biggest weakness. Obviously some power has to fall off somewhere in exchange and it sounds like possibly we'll see more W stacks before Bite is useable which I'm okay with so long as they remain for longer before they fall off or at the least fade 1 at a time instead of a binary stacks are on or off like it is now.

Just please make sure that you're accounting for how the Q + E combo works right now. Reaching melee more consistently could mean anything from better slow, more movement speed to giving him tenacity during Q or ignoring unit collision. But the slow from E is just as vital to his current ability to reach melee as his Q. I believe i mentioned in an earlier post that about 40% of my successful flips are a result of the slow from E when I was having difficulty catching someone.