BTW Riot, just wanted to say...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rejuvination

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
<3

I think it's popular to think game companies are greedy, lifeless entities who are detached from games and players. Maybe players have felt this way from past experiences...I don't know. I just know we're not that way and want to make sure people know it

Until the promise of champions bring released at all IP price points is fulfilled, I will have my doubts.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Super Explosion

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
just sell stuff people want (note: not NEED) and if they like it, they'll buy it.
I patiently wait for the day that Riot shovels so much economic pressure on the other companies, that they have to start innovating.

The implicit noncompete in the game industry just hurts, and that's on top of the 'efficiency over effect (fun)' attitude.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Apollinarius

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fongletto View Post
I don't think this about "game companies" Just companies . I mean pragmatically speaking at the end of the day you are a company. You exist to make profit. All of your choices are based around what you think will make you the most profit overall.

I mean you can make the best game or product in the world, but if it doesn't make money there will be no one to sell it.

Edit: though this isn't a bad thing. Because what makes something popular and good is generally what makes something sell and thus turn a profit. Just pointing out if you had an option to add a really cool feature that everyone would enjoy but would actually cost you money in the long run. You would not add it. (if such a thing was possible)
I think that you're missing the point of companies. Yes, they all want to make money and be successful. But that isn't the primary goal.

Let me try to explain what I mean: Let's say that you're a guy with some education, a bit of experience in the working world, and a few friends. You guys decide that you want to get lots and lots of money. If this is your primary goal, you will try to pick whatever you think is trendy, possibly get it off the ground at first, but ultimately fail at the goal of making lots of money.

Now, consider a different goal. You've played lots of games over your childhood. But you haven't played a specific game you'd like to see. You and your friends talk this out and you decide that you all have the same idea of what you'd like to see in this dream game. So you make it. You make it the way you envisioned it, and you try to make it the best experience it could be. If you do a good job, other people will see your game, try it, and fall in love with it. The more people love it, the more money you will make.

The example above was how Apple was founded. Jobs and Wozniak built the first Apple computer because they really didn't like PCs and they wanted to create something better - something that they liked.

Ultimately, success in the business world is defined by an organization's ability to deliver great products. The better the product they create, the more customers they will have. Of course, there are other things to consider, like the cost of perfection and other economic issues, but the underlying principle is there. If you focus on the product you're creating and it is a good product, you will be successful. If you focus on trying to make money, you will lose sight of what you need to do to make a great product and you will lose customers.

This is where video game companies differ a lot. Some are, as you say, "soulless" because they don't think about their product. They churn out sequels and copy whatever worked for other publishers in the hope of getting a slice of their pie. As they do this, they slowly lose business to companies that actually focus on the product they are delivering.

Riot is a prime example of a product-focused company. They created a good game in League of Legends. It was certainly inspired by Dota and had many of the same people, but they decided to change some things in the Dota model because there were things in Dota that they didn't like. Once they created the game and people played it, they realized there were many areas in which they could improve. They expanded their lore. They improved their art direction. They improved model design. They improved matchmaking. They created a great Co-op vs AI mode. This created an amazing game, but still, there were problems. People playing games can be jerks. Big jerks. One of the reasons for this is the maturity level of the players, but a bigger one is the anonymity provided by the internet. Riot found a way to hold people accountable for their actions without taking away the anonymity. (removing anonymity was Blizzard's attempt at controlling player behavior and it was scrapped fast) They banned accounts because their focus was on improving the game by removing the negative element, not punishing harmful players by outing them on Facebook or something.

And still they continue improving. Riot's League of Legends is a pipe dream turned to reality. Could they have made the game we have today back at launch? No way. The money they earned over the years made that possible. But instead of pocketing the money and promising people a better LoL 2 sometime in the future, they improved the game they delivered back then. They kept their old player base and continued attracting more as the game became more and more people's vision of "the perfect game".

I have played a lot of games in my life. I've played a lot of Dota. I was a huge fan of Blizzard franchises. But League of Legends has made all those games look bad. I still have some of those games installed. I don't play them because when I have time to play, I know what I want. And what I want is League of Legends. I could play a ranked game if I'm in the mood for some competitive showdowns. I could play a normal game if I want to try my hand at a new champion or an old champion in a new role. I could play a Co-op vs AI game if I want to get a quick, feel-good win in a game filled with friendly banter and grumbling about stolen pentakills. Or I could just open up a custom game and try my mechanics with a champion or a new jungle route. It offers so much, with a community that is perfect for the modes of play the game offers. It's just perfect. In time, I expect League of Legends to keep raising the bar on what constitutes a perfect game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Apollinarius

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
I patiently wait for the day that Riot shovels so much economic pressure on the other companies, that they have to start innovating.

The implicit noncompete in the game industry just hurts, and that's on top of the 'efficiency over effect (fun)' attitude.
Fortunately for us, it looks like Riot isn't behaving like the rest of the industry. There was a time when I wanted other companies to look at Riot and be more like them. That time has passed. I don't care anymore. I have League of Legends. I love it. Even if Blizzard or Valve or whoever smartened up and started developing games with a greater focus on quality and customers, it's too late. I have no reason to try their stuff anymore.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tarinis

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Refund money on those you perma ban. THen you will be a good guy company


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Firefly Captain

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Yeah Riot Games' customer service has been fantastic. I bought Mordekaiser for 975RP literally 30 minutes before a sale for him was announced at 487RP. Riot refunded the difference!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xEternal Rose

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
<3

I think it's popular to think game companies are greedy, lifeless entities who are detached from games and players. Maybe players have felt this way from past experiences...I don't know. I just know we're not that way and want to make sure people know it
i think you guys are doin wonderful so far. tho i am sad to see some of my favorite legacy skins on sale.. now i am not the only kool kid but i get ot see the skins more often then just when i use them. gg riot.. keep it up. Morello es #1 tank huehuehue


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chrisklol

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeastNom View Post
Man, Riot is so greedy about selling optional content for a COMPLETELY FREE GAME.

Just OOZES with greed. If they really wanted, they could run in-game ads during all the loading screens, and have ads playing ALL throughout the menus, and make money that way...but they don't.

I don't think people know what greed means.
I would


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Montag

Player Experience Manager

12-19-2012
3 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feladorzor View Post
Riot on the other hand seem to have an entirely different motive. That motive being, to make a great game. Through this philosophy it would appear that the company does not strive to obtain profit but rather, revenue, and that revenue is used as a platform to determine where the resources need to be distributed in order to continue making a great game.
I want to highlight this, because I think it's a core part of Riot's thinking that sets us apart from other companies. Traditional business logic dictates that you do things in order to make money, and the only way you can make money is from customers, so you have to do things customers like or you won't make money. This isn't necessarily wrong, but it's not really right, and as players I think we've all run into some example of this with our favorite form of entertainment.

The curved logic we use -- the little leap of faith we make -- is to focus on making a great player experience first and assume money will come out of that. That includes the game, the client, player support, the website, everything. It's a subtle shift that has profound effects. It means we can say, "of course we'd give people who bought old legendaries refunds when we put a Legendary skin on sale" without blinking an eye. That's a plainly better experience. We temper it with the fact that we need to keep the lights on -- which is why you can't play every champion for free from the moment you log in -- but it aligns our business model with your interests as a player, which means we can Do The Right Thing by players more than a company that solely focuses on money.

Love the idea for the article, by the way. Can't wait to read it when it's done.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bendak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Well, let's be realistic here - Riot's dropped the ball on many things before. I don't want to make a list, but we all know a few things Riot's really utterly, badly screwed up in the pursuit of profit.