BTW Riot, just wanted to say...

First Riot Post
123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fongletto

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
<3

I think it's popular to think game companies are greedy, lifeless entities who are detached from games and players. Maybe players have felt this way from past experiences...I don't know. I just know we're not that way and want to make sure people know it

I don't think this about "game companies" Just companies . I mean pragmatically speaking at the end of the day you are a company. You exist to make profit. All of your choices are based around what you think will make you the most profit overall.

I mean you can make the best game or product in the world, but if it doesn't make money there will be no one to sell it.

Edit: though this isn't a bad thing. Because what makes something popular and good is generally what makes something sell and thus turn a profit. Just pointing out if you had an option to add a really cool feature that everyone would enjoy but would actually cost you money in the long run. You would not add it. (if such a thing was possible)

Spew

12-19-2012

I like men now

innervation

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth266 View Post
Inb4 someone says "THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE MADE THOSE **** SKINS IN THE FIRST PLACE, RIOT SUX, TOOK FOREVER TO REFUND," etc.

Some people are just permanently set to Butthurt Mode.
Lol so true! I think even the perma-butt-hurts should acknowledge that riot got this one right. Then again, after seeing the mock outrage over 'no black friday sale' I wouldn't put anything past these forums.

p.s. - awesome legacy sale! I bought many skins (:

Morello

Lead Designer

12-19-2012
2 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fongletto View Post
I don't think this about "game companies" Just companies . I mean pragmatically speaking at the end of the day you are a company. You exist to make profit. All of your choices are based around what you think will make you the most profit overall.

I mean you can make the best game or product in the world, but if it doesn't make money there will be no one to sell it.

Edit: though this isn't a bad thing. Because what makes something popular and good is generally what makes something sell and thus turn a profit. Just pointing out if you had an option to add a really cool feature that everyone would enjoy but would actually cost you money in the long run. You would not add it. (if such a thing was possible)
It depends - in the strictest sense, yes, we're a company and therefore "conduct business," but I think how we view business is unique. Basically, we tend to think the following way when making decisions on this stuff:

If we make a game people actually really just love, and update it and keep it engaging, then people will play our game a lot. When people like something a lot, they want to engage more and more with it, and then monetizing it is simpler - just sell stuff people want (note: not NEED) and if they like it, they'll buy it.

So a lot of things we do are focused on this - think of eSports. "That's not making us money" is the biggest understatement I could share, but it makes the game more engaging. And since engagement for us is directly tied to us being successful, then it's a smart thing to do.

I think the reason this works is because it's an honest business model - make stuff people like, get paid to make stuff, use that money to make more stuff, etc.

And honestly, a ton of this is because Tryndamere and Ryze started this thing up because they were gamers that were fed up with how games were being ran and managed. That in and of itself is pretty unique, and something that flows through our internal culture even years later.

Vossik

12-19-2012

I think a lot of people have been burned by companies like EA and Capcom so any sign of prices rising or whatever and they cry foul. Which is understandable when they cut out important content to charge as dlc.

A good example would be Kha'zix's Mecha skin which personally I would consider it to be worth the price. However because it was more than previous skins suddenly there is a thread with three hundred pages. That said people are free to buy skins or not. It's not like you are twisting their arm. If they really don't like it at that price wait for a sale.

Feladorzor

12-19-2012

Quote:
<3

I think it's popular to think game companies are greedy, lifeless entities who are detached from games and players. Maybe players have felt this way from past experiences...I don't know. I just know we're not that way and want to make sure people know it
Reading about the generosity of Riot today has somewhat inspired me to consider writing an article about how Riot compare to other gaming companies. The primary talking point of the piece would discuss how the average gaming business will develop a game and make serious decisions on content with a profit-based motive, even if such decisions are illogical, unnecessary or completely redundant to the well-being of the product.

Riot on the other hand seem to have an entirely different motive. That motive being, to make a great game. Through this philosophy it would appear that the company does not strive to obtain profit but rather, revenue, and that revenue is used as a platform to determine where the resources need to be distributed in order to continue making a great game.

Furthermore, by working under such a philosophy, Riot are able to embrace human emotion, logic and a sense of justice, or fairness, when deciding policy... [end synopsis]

Fongletto

12-19-2012

Quote:
It depends - in the strictest sense, yes, we're a company and therefore "conduct business," but I think how we view business is unique. Basically, we tend to think the following way when making decisions on this stuff:

If we make a game people actually really just love, and update it and keep it engaging, then people will play our game a lot. When people like something a lot, they want to engage more and more with it, and then monetizing it is simpler - just sell stuff people want (note: not NEED) and if they like it, they'll buy it.

So a lot of things we do are focused on this - think of eSports. "That's not making us money" is the biggest understatement I could share, but it makes the game more engaging. And since engagement for us is directly tied to us being successful, then it's a smart thing to do.

I think the reason this works is because it's an honest business model - make stuff people like, get paid to make stuff, use that money to make more stuff, etc.

And honestly, a ton of this is because Tryndamere and Ryze started this thing up because they were gamers that were fed up with how games were being ran and managed. That in and of itself is pretty unique, and something that flows through our internal culture even years later.
^ This.
I totally agree there are different views and ways to approach "doing business" and I like riot's approach a lot more than any other gaming company. I think the best thing is the fact I don't feel like I "HAVE" to purchase anything. It's all because I want to and I love the game. The psychology behind this I would say from my very uneducated point of view is probably what makes your game the success it is.

edit: I should point out I think a bunch of other companies have tried this but failed. Because while making the things you buy optional, they still always seemed mandatory. Either by giving you some kind of unfair advantage or just making it so the game wasn't enjoyable without them.

All that in mind. Are you the nice company that gives us a choice. Or is it such an evil perfect plan by your marketing and e-commerce teams, that by giving us an illusion of choice you are actually taking it away. Forcing us to love and play and therefore buy -_- *tinhat*.

Aesr

12-19-2012

Game companies are greedy, Morello stole my pants. I like it.

Intelection

12-19-2012

Quote:

Hey Morello, I haven't received a refund yet tho :O

REPLY TO THIS THREAD http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2890443

slamor

12-19-2012

Quote:

Can you please fix nasus. He only worked on the old TT and it was buy heart of gold and philostone, wait to about 50 minutes or if you have the advantage, press it and unleash all fricken hell. The removal of heart of gold and the new TT map makes him completely unviable anywheres. He was my favorite champ. I remember those days of withering jax and smashing him to tiny pieces.

123456 ... 7