Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1b68522a30530a

12-19-2012

I learned alot reading all this i'm currently in college and wanna get into this industry as quick as possible... i'm a pretty good speaker, and i trust that if i get a word with them i can make them want me, and not me wanting them.

My problem is getting the Job conversation...

Do you have some examples or something like that which made YOU pick a guy to have a chat with?

slamor

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treantwuver View Post
In simple terms, Riot wants people that are actually smart.
It is more the exceptional people. I have seen lots of smart people but some really stand out.

Rawr Poptart Cat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

God Morello, I just enjoy reading your comments hahaha.

Treantwuver

12-19-2012

Honestly, game devs don't get paid high too much unless you're high in the industry such as Morellos' status, so unless you're ok with the low pay after all that work to get into the company, go for it. If not, playing the game yourself is probably more than enough.

Venaccio

12-19-2012

I've got a concern that I might as well ask Riot since they are employers:

Does the school that you go to MATTER? Do names of schools carry such heavy weight?

I got into a couple UC's and Cal Poly SLO, but I chose to go to CSUN, main reason being it's only a couple minutes away from home and I got 0 financial aid from FAFSA (my family legitimately can not afford to put me through dorming, we could barely afford the $3.5k tuition). As many people in LA might know, CSUN is not exactly a prestigious school. It is viewed as a joke in the valley.

However, I got straight A's all 3 semesters I've completed here. So would it actually matter that I go to such a **** school if my grades are good? I'm really discouraged by this whole "college" thing because I know how tough the job market is, and it certainly doesn't help that people are going to see "CSUN" on my resume.

Your honest opinions would mean the world to this troubled student.

Treantwuver

12-19-2012

Start off small is the best suggestion any game company can tell you. You learn and gain experience as you go through the workforce and eventually when you've done enough, and you think you have what it takes, take it a step further.

Dèíty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

Neat thread. I think these concepts apply to pretty much anything in life you have a passion for. I suppose at the end of the day all you can really do is stop arguing for your limitations and just throw yourself into what you love, wherever you see a door open for the opportunity. I'm thankful that my current institution places enormous emphasis on forcing us to intern over summers so that we can build that experience as we are immersed in education. I hope this style of teaching spreads to other disciplines as well because it feels really good knowing your school is invested in your future. Good luck to all the aspiring devs in this thread. One way or another we're all in this together trying to find our passionate niche in an ever more competitive world.

I really enjoyed the Riot insights into what makes employees valuable; this information, from such successful people, is priceless yet given freely. You guys are great. Thank you.

Dark Helmet

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venaccio View Post

Does the school that you go to MATTER? Do names of schools carry such heavy weight?

I got into a couple UC's and Cal Poly SLO, but I chose to go to CSUN, main reason being it's only a couple minutes away from home and I got 0 financial aid from FAFSA (my family legitimately can not afford to put me through dorming, we could barely afford the $3.5k tuition). As many people in LA might know, CSUN is not exactly a prestigious school. It is viewed as a joke in the valley.

However, I got straight A's all 3 semesters I've completed here. So would it actually matter that I go to such a **** school if my grades are good? I'm really discouraged by this whole "college" thing because I know how tough the job market is, and it certainly doesn't help that people are going to see "CSUN" on my resume.

It really doesn't matter where you go for undergrad. Think of undergrad as a stepping stone. Make sure and maintain a good gpa that will help you get into a good grad school which I believe carries more weight. Apply for internships during your junior and senior year to get your foot into the industry and network your butt off.

Networking = you win the internets

Morello

Lead Designer

12-19-2012
28 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venaccio View Post

I'm not a good judge of this since I don't have a lot of insight into the qualities of school curriculum, but Zileas thinks about this a lot. Schools that have great engineering programs or are generally top will get his attention (I know Carnegie Mellon and Harvey Mudd are a couple that are particularly notable), but not going to an elite school won't block you. You'll just have to stand out some other way

LouisLeGros

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I'm not a good judge of this since I don't have a lot of insight into the qualities of school curriculum, but Zileas thinks about this a lot. Schools that have great engineering programs or are generally top will get his attention (I know Carnegie Mellon and Harvey Mudd are a couple that are particularly notable), but not going to an elite school won't block you. You'll just have to stand out some other way
Do you have many alumni from Digipen at Riot?