The one thing that DotA has that League doesn't

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AxeRaider

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLaneWonGame View Post
Pop BKB

Channel anything worry-free
you can still be silecned while using bkb silly, and supressed. it just prevents magic dmg , and no ult spell debuffs.

A Super Saiyan 3

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLaneWonGame View Post
Pop BKB

Channel anything worry-free
Black hole

Void ult

Abyssal Blade (Which is an item)

Anyone with a bash passive

Better solution to channel spells like Death ward is to use Io's relocate since it does not interrupt the channel but you can bring your teammate far far away while the spell is still going off in the battle

Snoop Nome

Game Designer

12-18-2012
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Yes, some ultimate effects do bypass BKB, but DotA has historically always been highly dependent on it to act as a panacea against potential balance edge cases. It's also worth noting that the STR/AGI/INT system borrowed from Warcraft 3 often forces suboptimal builds, which adds some flavor, and that all champions benefit from increased AD (not just ADC).

Even so, I'd actually point at Teleport Scrolls and Bottle/Runes as being the two mechanics that keep most champions viable. The former allows quick lane swaps and team mobility, while the latter makes mobility and map control of the river just as important as lane control.

Fire Lord Iroh

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
Yes, some ultimate effects do bypass BKB, but DotA has historically always been highly dependent on it to act as a panacea against potential balance edge cases. It's also worth noting that the STR/AGI/INT system borrowed from Warcraft 3 often forces suboptimal builds, which adds some flavor, and that all champions benefit from increased AD (not just ADC).

Even so, I'd actually point at Teleport Scrolls and Bottle/Runes as being the two mechanics that keep most champions viable. The former allows quick lane swaps and team mobility, while the latter makes mobility and map control of the river just as important as lane control.
To be fair, Flash is one of the mechanics in this game that keep a lot of champions viable. Furthermore, Flash with Cleanse is the only thing that is keeping a lot of AD carries viable.

I'd also like to mention that gold is a lot harder to acquire in DotA as you do not gain as much gold per second, there are no GP/10 items, and creeps can be denied by the enemy team which also contributes to suboptimal builds as you really have to build what you can rather than what you want in most cases.

Polargod

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearZocom View Post
actually as a dota player myself i am sad to inform you that there is a tier of champions in dota that are basically unplayable past a pub level.

Visage and tauren are two who immediately come to mind other names such as medusa and slark come to mind.
They may not get picked often, but they do have a place in certain matchups

JoeDerp

12-18-2012

Would you guys be opposed to an item that increases healing and shielding dealt by a percentage? (Possibly 20%, like Spirit Visage)
This'd improve a Support's supportive abilities without requiring them to go AP.

Snoop Nome

Game Designer

12-18-2012
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Housewife View Post
To be fair, Flash is one of the mechanics in this game that keep a lot of champions viable. Furthermore, Flash with Cleanse is the only thing that is keeping a lot of AD carries viable.

I'd also like to mention that gold is a lot harder to acquire in DotA as you do not gain as much gold per second, there are no GP/10 items, and creeps can be denied by the enemy team which also contributes to suboptimal builds as you really have to build what you can rather than what you want in most cases.
It's very difficult to determine relative worth of items in DotA as high-tiered items tend to be very gold-inefficient, but good players in carry roles tend to average 500-600 GPM (which from a raw count, tends to be higher than League's average; however, I generally consider League and DotA to have very similar gold valuations). I'd say that overall, deaths included, the gold economy isn't too different for non-support champs.

And yes, Flash is indeed an equalizing mechanic in LoL.

Ira et Tolio

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post

And yes, Flash is indeed an equalizing mechanic in LoL.
If you stop making champs with gap closers it will be, but as it stands those with flashes innately have an advantage over those that don't.

Polargod

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisottoNero View Post
Point booster. Try again.

Now that you talk about that, I don't know if that gives him a mana pool even if it's flat mana.
It does. You can run your bear around dagoning people if you wanted to

Polargod

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnimaetus View Post
Black hole

Void ult

Abyssal Blade (Which is an item)

Anyone with a bash passive

Better solution to channel spells like Death ward is to use Io's relocate since it does not interrupt the channel but you can bring your teammate far far away while the spell is still going off in the battle
Someone's been watching DotaCinema