Deck the Lanes with Gingerbread Contest

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spirit Carrier

12-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waniwa View Post
Everything has to be edible. Can you eat metal wire frame or lights?
Thank you. What you wrote made it clear, that I have to ask more properly:
1: I want to put my creation on a wireframe instead of a tray. The creation itself would be completely edible, the wireframe would only hold it together like a tray. But my solution is not usual; that is why I ask. I guess you won't eat the tray you put your creation on..
2: Why I asked about the lights: do they count as part of the creation, or just environment? (they didn't say the environment has to be edible too)

P.S: I ment no offense, just wanted to make clear what I ask.

Miraakai

12-16-2012

My question is, it states in english that we need to use graham crackers/gumdrops - and sadly as Im from europe, those things arent available in europe. Especially the german translation says we should just use "Christmas bakery" and the problem is, in germany we have many different things that are mostly ate during christmas season but nowhere else. So how will that be credited? I can still use gingerbread, but will mostly use german specalities. Does that still count? Or will that be minus points? This should really be made clear, in my opinion. And/Or the english message for european countries rewritten and not simply copy-pasted, as most europeans dont even know what graham-crackers and gumdrops are.
I would feel relieved to get an answer at the forums instead of having to write an email!

Spirit Carrier

12-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraakai View Post
My question is, it states in english that we need to use graham crackers/gumdrops - and sadly as Im from europe, those things arent available in europe. Especially the german translation says we should just use "Christmas bakery" and the problem is, in germany we have many different things that are mostly ate during christmas season but nowhere else. So how will that be credited? I can still use gingerbread, but will mostly use german specalities. Does that still count? Or will that be minus points? This should really be made clear, in my opinion. And/Or the english message for european countries rewritten and not simply copy-pasted, as most europeans dont even know what graham-crackers and gumdrops are.
I would feel relieved to get an answer at the forums instead of having to write an email!
I agree with you, in Hungary we also have some different cakes at Christmas that are unique to our country. However different specification for every country would only cause chaos. I think less strict rules would be a great help, for example allowing the use of unique cakes (country specialities) or the main visible(could stop the overuse of fondant) ingirdient (60% or more) have to be gingerbread the other is your choice, or whatever. These are just some ideas, I have never created any contest, so I'm sure Riot knows better how to handle it.

Elystia

12-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elystia View Post
I have a question many are concerned about also.

No one knows who is going to win but some might want the skins currently on sale now. Is the Snowdown Showdown going to be still running when we get news of the winners so we can purchase such skins if we don't win? Or are we able to get a refund on RP for them if not?

Thanks Nika :3

Quoting myself here :P

After a little bit of past history research, it seems very unlikely that Riot will finish picking winners before Snowdown Showdown goes away.

Snowdown Showdown skins will be unavailable after January 6th.
The contest ends on January 2nd.

The last "Nom Noms" food contest took 9 days after deadline date to announce the winners of the contest.
The "I heart LoL" photo contest took 10 days to announce the winners.
The "Songs of the Summoned III" took around a month although this competition would take much more time to pick a winner.
The "Demacian Delicacies" took 13 days to pick a winner.

Granted, all of these were not awarding skins that were going to be on sale. So hopefully they will take into account our posts and manage to decide a winner in under 4 days. The chances are slim from past experiences.

A Wild Magikarp

12-16-2012

First off, with respect to the actual structure you build your submission on, you should pretty much have free reign on what you use. It could be a table, a piece of plywood, a metal tray, etc. Also viable are holding up sheets, etc. behind your submission to create a single color backdrop so your kitchen sink, pet, and whatnot aren't part of the background (using markers to sketch out a backdrop of clouds wouldn't be acceptable though). Also fine 'should' be something like shining a lamp on a specific area of the submission as you take the pictures. Basically, this stuff is simply to make your submission that you worked super hard on a little more photogenic. Photoshop on the other hand is a no no.

With respect to the wire frame question, I HIGHLY doubt there would be any issue with incorporating stuff like this in your creation to make it structurally sound. It is pretty much mandatory depending on what exactly you're planning on making (a Fiddlesticks for example may be too thin otherwise to be self-standing). If you're trying to attach gingerbread pieces together, use melted chocolate over actual glue, etc. What they don't want you doing is using non-edible items overtly in your submission. You shouldn't go to the store and buy a bunch of little model trees and balsa wood, etc. One of the other big "edible" issues for the last couple cooking contests involved coloring... you could theoretically pass some non-edible paints/coloring for edible ones, but in the spirit of the competition, for anyone looking to add some color to their submission, there are a bunch of edible options out there that aren't super pricy (food coloring gel > drops for one... they also have edible spray paints).

With respect to the lighting, I'm kind of up in the air on this one but I suspect you could incorporate some lighting effects into your submission in ways that don't involve simply plopping a strand of lights in the middle of it. I kind think a little LED hidden away here or there could be pretty neato as well especially considering lights are a staple of this holiday season, but for sure the primary focus of this needs to be on using edible items to make a work of art. If you really wanted to get some natural lighting going, find something that's edible and slow burning and light that baby on fire right before you take the picture. If someone wants to question if fire is edible or not, go ask a fire eater ;p

* Also, remember that "edible" doesn't have to mean "tasty" or "sweet" here. You could use a bunch of mayonnaise or chili power for example. Doing that also keeps you from being tempted to eat too much of your submission once you're done (TONS OF CALORIES).

Spirit Carrier

12-16-2012

Thank you for your answer
Now I understand better, but I wanted to ask before I start making my creation. It's better to ask, than make it then being rejected because I used something that I shouldn't^^"

MSF72

12-17-2012

Are we only allowed one entry per person? Or am I allowed to submit the entry of the pathetic creation I've just made and make additional ones as well since this one took so much time and turned out the opposite of what I expected it to.

I would imagine we're allowed more than one entry, otherwise, the unlikely scenario of false uploads or false disqualifications is a potential possibility seeing as it's input of Summoner name only.

Ninjade

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Carrier View Post
I agree with you, in Hungary we also have some different cakes at Christmas that are unique to our country. However different specification for every country would only cause chaos. I think less strict rules would be a great help, for example allowing the use of unique cakes (country specialities) or the main visible(could stop the overuse of fondant) ingirdient (60% or more) have to be gingerbread the other is your choice, or whatever. These are just some ideas, I have never created any contest, so I'm sure Riot knows better how to handle it.
Well, in Belgium we have our own version of gingerbread, since I couldn't find everything I needed for the American gingerbread I decided to make my country's version. I guess we'll see how that ends up. :P good luck to everyone! ^.^

tidalCadence

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSF72 View Post
Are we only allowed one entry per person? Or am I allowed to submit the entry of the pathetic creation I've just made and make additional ones as well since this one took so much time and turned out the opposite of what I expected it to.

I would imagine we're allowed more than one entry, otherwise, the unlikely scenario of false uploads or false disqualifications is a potential possibility seeing as it's input of Summoner name only.
You can submit more than one entry, provided the entries are sufficiently different from each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contest Rules
Multiple Entries into the Contest are allowed; provided, however, that each separate Entry must be substantially different as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion.

nikasaur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Community Coordinator

Follow RiotNikasaur on Twitter

12-17-2012
9 of 15 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broslow View Post
If we buy one of the Snowdown skins and then win the contest, will we get a refund on that particular one?
We'll work something out on an individual basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belhene View Post
Should I include both usernames apart from summoner names in the submission? Or just my own username and the two summoner names?
Both summoner names!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjade View Post
So, if you're European and your country had its own version of gingerbread, would that count as gingerbread too? Because its easier for me to make that than to go to 50 different stores trying to find everything I need for the typical American gingerbread
For Europe, we allowed the use of cookies as material, so long as it is in the style of a gingerbread house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Carrier View Post
I have some questions about the contest:
1: Can I use metal wire frame?
There are some parts where Gingerbread alone won't be strong enough to hold it together
2: Can I use Lights on/in it?
For example lights from the Christmas tree
3: If we want to work togheter, but we participate separatedly (3 different house, but all made together), than will we get all the prices separatedly if we win?
You can use some metal wire for structure but when it comes to decor, I'd suggest only using edible items.
In terms of participation, you should probably submit all entries as a group, but the prizes will be split between you if your submission wins.