How can I stay equally leveled in the jungle?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tupac the Swaggy

12-14-2012

Hey there everyone, I'm not extremely good at the game, and especially not at jungle. After s3 started I seem to be so underleveled when I jungle, falling behind even duo lanes to the point where i can't even gank for a kill. And most of the time the other team's jungler is in the same scenario. My main junglers are trundle, lee sin, maokai, and jax (so I'm not going around jungling karthus anymore, sadly). After the patch, the jungle creatures got stronger while the experience they give stayed the same. How can I keep up in levels with the lanes? I don't want to be useless anymore.

adc

12-14-2012

Clear faster - take machete or it's upgrades, get a lantern on Lee, etc. Get ganks off. A lot of the experience comes from assisting in kills.

Anzell

12-14-2012

Unorthodox choices could be using the utility page for bonus exp, or extra gold to keep up items.
Or if you feel your ganks are lacking switch out summoners, instead of flash use exhaust.

Nome or Die

Game Designer

12-14-2012
1 of 3 Riot Posts

I had the same issues when I started out with S3 jungle.
After a lot of failures, I've found that a pretty safe way to do it is to pick up a Machete + 5 Pots. This is pretty much the universal jungle build now. Do wolves/wraiths, then go to blue/red. It's instrumental that someone help you kill it and puts lots of damage on it until you're ready to smite (or--even better--give you a smiteless first buff). Immediately after that, if you're a ganking jungler, go straight to the other buff and kill it. If no one leeched your XP, you should now be level 3 while everyone else is level 1 (!!!) or 2. From here, you can gank or continue to farm depending on who you're playing.

The key really is to get Machete.

Averath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
I had the same issues when I started out with S3 jungle.
After a lot of failures, I've found that a pretty safe way to do it is to pick up a Machete + 5 Pots. This is pretty much the universal jungle build now. Do wolves/wraiths, then go to blue/red. It's instrumental that someone help you kill it and puts lots of damage on it until you're ready to smite (or--even better--give you a smiteless first buff). Immediately after that, if you're a ganking jungler, go straight to the other buff and kill it. If no one leeched your XP, you should now be level 3 while everyone else is level 1 (!!!) or 2. From here, you can gank or continue to farm depending on who you're playing.

The key really is to get Machete.
Wasn't it Riot's goal to make it more difficult for ganking junglers to reach level 3 before laners? I thought that was the point of making the monsters more difficult.

Slashinghardest

12-14-2012

the point of making the jungle harder was to make early laning less reliant on who's jungler ganked first. By making the monsters harder the junglers take more damage and early ganks are suposed to be less viable, but they also made machete which makes jungling way easier so it really balances out and I find early ganks just as viable or only slightly less viable then before.

Nome or Die

Game Designer

12-14-2012
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averath View Post
Wasn't it Riot's goal to make it more difficult for ganking junglers to reach level 3 before laners? I thought that was the point of making the monsters more difficult.
It is more difficult. What I described was completely doable in season 2 as well, just not quite as necessary.

adherance

12-14-2012

as a noob i thank you for this info, should help .

adherance

12-14-2012

as a noob this info should help a lot. thanks for explaining this kind of thing.

Gixia

12-15-2012

I find it's actually really easy for me to stay equal level/gold with the laners in the new jungle.

Mind you, my experience in the S3 jungle is limited to only having played it as Shyvana. Shyvana with a machete start and a solid 'leash' eats the jungle alive. It doesn't even feel like it takes her any longer than it did before, which means she really feels the bonus XP/gold. By the 6:30 mark, I've gone back to buy boots and a sightstone, which I use to rush to the enemy buffs and ward them, setting a nasty trap for when they come to get them.