Constructive Criticism about new UI/shop

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Goldoak

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
12. This should resolve itself as we build out our library of colloquialisms in search terms (you can currently search for bf instead of b.f. for example or triforce = trinity force). If you find any that are missing, post a list here.
Jungle, Jungler and Monster should all reference the Hunter's Machete line of items.

boourns

UI Designer

12-12-2012
2 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpertSockThrow View Post
Hi boourns, my shop experience is notably laggy, especially when I open and close it. It also has a small delay when I buy an item, sometimes causing me to buy it once more than expected (e.g. I want to buy three health pots but end up with four). This is persistent throughout the game on all maps. Here's my dxdiag, hope it helps!

Thanks! Some of that might also be your ISP. What kind of ping do you get to the server in game? Mouse over the ping bar on the top right under your KDA to find out.

Sometimes latency between the client and the server makes things feel unpredictable, we're going to try to hide this better.

Cuix

12-12-2012

I also get a brief blip of lag every time I open and close the shop.

TheWeaver

12-12-2012

The lag from the shop seems to be a massive screen fps reduction. My ping is ~45 at all times, but I have a slightly outdated CPU. I get lower frame rate during team fights as well these days, probably because of upgraded animations. Not sure why the new store hits it so hard, though.

Gunthore

12-12-2012

I have a bug where everytime I press tab with the shop open my game crashes with the splat screen, happened around 10 times in the last 3 or 4 days. You think I'd learn by now but I'm in the habit of pressing tab to check out other people's items before making a purchase sometimes, also since I noticed this happening I'm trying to press esc before hand to close the shop but sometimes I hit tab too quick before the shop has closed and splat.

LadyAzalea

12-12-2012

Yay, a red post! I am SO excited. Added my responses in bold...was just easier than scrolling up and down for every post!

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to organize this feedback!

1. Yes we are looking into this, but we only have one patch before Christmas for critical issues... because no one wants to hose the game and have to bring people in over the holidays. :-o I did see a post about this somewhere else so I knew it was on the fix list. Cool.

2. We wanted a shop scale slider for release. This should solve most problems as the shop is actually scaled up quite a bit larger than it needs to be for text legibility in higher resolutions. A shop scaler would be nice. I'm still concerned it will feel uneven on the right/left sides a bit, though.

3. We made a deliberate decision to keep the right side very similar to the old shop because we were changing so much. This may change in the future, but probably not anytime soon. I do like how it is similar to what it was previously, but going with #2, also just see the empty space below "buy" as wasted. Could be used for something else, even if that something else is to just make the shop "shorter" overall, by making the left side "shorter" w/more scrolling. I have gotten a bit more used to it, but it still seems like it could use a bit of work.

4. I'd challenge your assertion that the new shop takes more clicks to buy items, especially if you are using icon view. I'd suggest people are less used to navigating it so it feels like it takes longer. The old shop took an extremely large number of clicks to find items not in your 6 recommended. We will be tracking stats on this vs. historical data to verify this hypothesis and will make corrections to meet our goals of making shop navigation more efficient. With this, I didn't mean more clicks to find items, but merely about click time, ie, what you have said addressed about the double click time being set too short. Is there some restriction on typing time? Typing in search also seems to have a bit of a delay (I type 80+ wpm)

If you are getting lag in the item shop, please post dxdiags. Also the double click time in the shop was set too short, this should be more generous in an upcoming patch. I'll see about using the windows setting, but because this is inside a game we don't use the event system the same way, so this is not provided for "free" to us, we need to build that support. [Can you explain how to post a dxdiags? Or where to find out how to do it?]

5. The HUD has font quality rendering problems that the shop and menus don't. I very much want to have them addressed, it's a significant technical undertaking though. I can see difficulty in making the changes. Is there any chance at attempting to revert to the old font, and seeing which (if any) problems it fixes? (And if that's too hard or fixing none, then work on new solutions?) I don't know much about programming (more on the side of HTML) so I'm not sure how much help re-trying the old font would help. But I imagine it's worth a shot!

7. Yeah, we have changes like this that we want to make to the surrender dialog. I'm not happy with the presentation right now. Cool. They really are a bit of an eyesore.

8. This is probably lower priority for us to do, ideally you're not needing to input large strings to search that would benefit a lot from this kind of text selection. We would also have to implement this from scratch, we are not using windows UI components because they are not suitable for use in-engine. There are surely other things that need to be addressed before this. Highlighting falls into that 'shop efficiency' category. While it would be nice, I'd prefer other changes happen first. Also why this is lower on my own list.

9. We're unlikely to remove the numbers for item shortcuts as they are really useful for teaching newer players that you can activate items and also use hotkeys to do it. In our testing we didn't notice large problems with people getting confused by the numbers, but it's something we're watching. If we get persistent problems that aren't going away as people get used to the HUD, we'll explore some different presentations. This is another thing I have gotten somewhat more used to. I feel that the font change made them more...visible? than what they used to be (I can't honestly remember if they used to be there, but if they were-- I didn't notice them before.) I can see the positive in keeping it. Just one of those things that is a potential distraction anyway.

11. If you can reproduce not saving your item shop view settings reliably, I'd like to hear more details. This should be working. Posting dxdiags, game.cfg from your config directory will help us track this down. I am always in the "all items" when I'm in game-- relying on search to find all my items now, and when I start a new game it always shows recommended. Again-- how do I post a dxdiags?

12. This should resolve itself as we build out our library of colloquialisms in search terms (you can currently search for bf instead of b.f. for example or triforce = trinity force). If you find any that are missing, post a list here. I have noticed that w/BF. I have a few term suggestions listed in "search suggestions" .

13. We will likely show the raw XP numbers, they'll be more useful anyways. It was an oversight that it didn't ship like that. Can you reword this possibly? I'm not quite sure I'm catching what you're saying... You're going to add the XP numbers back and overlooked it before? So what about the actual bar? Keeping as is? Getting rid of completely?

14. Changing item placement has never worked in the item shop, new or old. You've always had to do this through the HUD. We would like to add that, but it involves replicating the drag and drop implementation in the item shop so it did not make the list for initial release. I think with this I actually meant in the actual in-game hud, not shop screen. Since the new patch I haven't been able to change the order of my (hud) items.

15. It's on the tooltip for the item in your shop inventory as it always has been! The difference is that selecting the item no longer shows it in the description panel. We are investigating changing that and switching the button to sell in those cases with sells for: It was never shown without a tooltip previously? I could have sworn it was... Are you saying that when an item (ie thinking about selling) was selected it would show in the description? If so-- this is probably what I'm saying is missing. If not, I guess I just haven't discovered the tooltip-hover-over-to-find-sellback-value info. Still swear it was visible without tooltip...
Thanks so much for your post! Don't mind the replies, just wanted to address the things you said. Am looking forward to the changes (And snowdown goodies) that will be released in the next patch. (Too bad no re-release MF skin!)

Yay, reds!

PS. Do you have any idea when the recall pings will be released? I cannot WAAAAIT for it.

TheHat27

12-12-2012

I would personally like:

The ability to remove my champions picture from my hud. Honestly, I don't need to see my champions face when I know who I am playing and it just takes up valuable screen space.

I would also like, for purple team at least, the option to be able to make my hud (maybe not the map) semi-translucent. This way I could still at least see and use skill shots through it.

And last but not least: To be able to move around parts of my hud, more specifically I want to have the timer more in the top left toward the middle of the screen like it was before.

ExpertSockThrow

12-13-2012

Quote:
Thanks! Some of that might also be your ISP. What kind of ping do you get to the server in game? Mouse over the ping bar on the top right under your KDA to find out.

Sometimes latency between the client and the server makes things feel unpredictable, we're going to try to hide this better.
I have a reliable 92~97 ping in-game with very few stutters in service stability (lucky me!). Sometimes it'll spike up to ~120, but that's rare. I thought it might be related to my video card's drivers being out-of-date, but even when I updated them I still have lag opening/closing/using the shop that wasn't present with the old one.

Shop lags:
- when it's opened
- when I search, especially when typing
- when I press the "buy" button
- when I press the "sell" button
- when it's closed

Does not lag (noticeably)
- navigating through menus

I do like the new UI- it's very clean. I just wish it didn't take me a long time to use it. :P

Qsario

12-13-2012

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to organize this feedback!
If you are getting lag in the item shop, please post dxdiags. Also the double click time in the shop was set too short, this should be more generous in an upcoming patch. I'll see about using the windows setting, but because this is inside a game we don't use the event system the same way, so this is not provided for "free" to us, we need to build that support.
I'm one of those who suffer lag. Here's a DxDiag for you: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...3#post32397263

IS186afbf367d955

12-14-2012

Quote:

Hello Bourns,
I've always the same problem with the new shop and my ping is low (around 30ms). There is a small delay when opening or closing the shop. During this delay the whole game is frozen. It's a very small delay, perhaps between 100 and 400ms but it makes the whole experience less than ideal.

I also have a problem with double clicks. If I need to buy 5 potions I have to click at least 20 times instead of 10. The old shop wasn't behaving like that.

As a whole this makes the new shop feels less responsive than the old one. My computer is pretty old but I used to be able to play at 50fps with medium settings, 1440x9xx res.