Constructive Criticism about new UI/shop

First Riot Post
123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LadyFiara

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAzalea View Post
Problem 10: Mini map cannot be as big as it used to be(?)
Solution: Reference old mini map maximum size and reinstate, allow reversion to old HUD
Your solution on allowing reversion to old HUD... I love it.
If there could be an option to all together allow the old HUD/Shop that would be perfect.
Those who dislike the new HUD/Shop could turn it off and switch back to the way it was before (myself included)
Those who enjoy the new shop/HUD could leave it as is.

LadyAzalea

12-10-2012

I have added a few new suggestions/problems to my main post.
Thank you everyone for the support thus far! I really aim to be constructive in my posts and not just complain. If you have anything else for me to add PLEASE let me know!
And if you support anything on here, please continue to say so! I'd love for any Reds to give feedback on particular "problems" or suggestions listed here.

Zielmann

12-10-2012

I wouldn't get your hopes up on having the old shop come back as an option any time soon. They might not even support the new items with the old shop layout, which would make it a lot more work to allow that option than one would hope. I actually feel like a lot of the 'hate' for the new shop is the same kind of 'hate' that people have every time Facebook changes their layout. It's temporary. It's just a negative initial reaction to a change being made. There are a lot of things about the new shop that I feel are actually quite improved from the old shop. But the new one still needs some work before a lot of people are going to be happy with it.

I've posted previously about the obscene size of the shop. I use a 1280x1024 screen, which makes it even worse for me. I just spent about 15 minutes in paint to show what I think would really help with this size issue (widescreen people would love it as well, I'm sure. One is to show what I'm dealing with right now for the shop size. Another one is just some removal of blank space and the wholly unnecessary frame around the whole shop (does anybody actually look at the total gold count on the top bar?), along with generally shrinking the whole shop while keeping it legible.

I also put in a third picture showing a couple suggestions I have to possibly move the total gold count and sell buttons back closer to where they used to be. I feel like it is very disjointed to have the total gold count being so far away from the cost of the item you're looking to buy.

LadyAzalea

12-10-2012

Thanks for taking the time to write out a reply. I'm fully aware they will probably make no custom option to go back to the old hud. (I am not quite sure others realize this, though). Of course, it's the only option I have been able to think of in terms of "fixing" some of these "problems". I was part of the small minority affected by the removal of the fast terrain option and I was very unhappy with the way that was handled (coming on one day finding out I'd have to struggle to relearn the game, since I suffer from motion sickness caused by the graphics. I had to take a very very long hiatus and very slowly work back into the game). Needless to say, I'm not happy with this giant release of hud+items+shop, etc etc. I believe it would have gone over MUCH better if it had a. been released in more patches and not just one large one, to learn a little at a time and b. stayed in the PBE a bit longer to get more feedback from those users, and therefore be released with a few less of the issues we are facing (ie chat not working w/shop open, certain characters being buggy).

My biggest issues lie with size & accessibility (short of the fact I'm NOT a quick learner and with this patch it's going to take me a ***** of a time to relearn this game)... I don't mind the thick borders/graphics of the new HUD as much as some other people. But I do NOT like the shop hiding my whole screen, I do not like that some text and images are smaller than they used to be, and thus harder to read/see, I don't like how uneven the shop feels (lots of wasted space, probably contributing somewhat to oversized shop), or that everything is just so SLOW-- I can't click things efficiently in the shop or hud, I can't type effectively (typing in chat is lagged some), etc. Most of the problems listed are probably not too difficult to change (like sizing), or to at least provide custom options/settings for. I feel like the biggest complaints are about sizing and speed, and I feel like Riot would get much better feedback if they addressed these issues.

I don't completely hate the patch, but I far from love it. It has potential, but still could use some work.
I love that they added a search feature (that's my only "love"). It's basically the only way I'm finding any of my items currently because a. I don't care to waste the time to find where they are and b. even if I knew where they were, I wouldn't be able to click them quickly anyhow because of the lag speed. Like I said, hud is OK. The teal doesn't bother me. Kills counter is cool.

I'm not one for change-- so I haven't (and probably won't) used any of the new items. It's too frustrating and takes away from my gameplay. If someone makes a build guide for the characters I play and it contains new items, I'll use them b/c they were recommended. Until then, I'm just ignoring the new items. (I had to BS my masteries because I don't understand enough of their flow to know exactly what my champ does or doesn't need.) Cool for the people they help, frustrating for slow-learners like myself who have to adjust one thing at a time.

I was also VERY upset that they removed the masteries without warning. Yes, they did tell us new masteries were part of the patch...but I never remember reading they'd be removed. I would have taken screenshots of my former masteries. Instead I started from scratch, with little knowledge of the things I needed, and just suffered more frustration.

Basically every game I have played, I find something else I realize is just bothersome or really, REALLY frustrating, so I've added it to this list. I'm prepared for no one to ever hear it or respond, short of other users, because I just don't feel like Riot cares that much. (Or they'd ask more people for opinions before just doing what they feel like, when they feel like...). Sure, they're company, they're choices... but sometimes those choices make them be THAT big ol' company who never asks the majority of their users for feedback. (I mean, come on, why be like that?)
I've come to expect I will probably see nothing made of this post...but at least I got it off my chest anyway. And I didn't just make a "you suck, Riot, I quit!" post. I tried to be as constructive as possible in hopes they'd be more open to reading. Still doubt it will do any good.

And if it's any consolation, I am thrilled for the recall pings to come out (in the PBE) because it was an idea I supported a few months back.

I 100% agree the "sell" button and gold count should be moved. I added the suggestion to my page as I was looking at your first graphic...then I open your second to see you recommended it too! Great minds think alike. You thought before me, though!

I feel like if the items that you own were moved to the left, it could also help with "white space" issue some, and allow the bottom of the screen to be booted up...and the whole shop screen shrunk down. and the scaling of your third picture makes it SO much more likable. One other thing I think would be really helpful would be for the search feature to be on both pages (all and recommended) as well (maybe put that to the right, and leave the purchased items where they are/used to be?)

boourns

UI Designer

12-12-2012
1 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAzalea View Post
First impressions combined with some other realizations from actual game play have compelled me to create the post. I aim to be as constructive as possible... If you have any suggestions to add (or complaints + constructive comments of your own) feel free to add them. I am trying to highlight every negative point in one collective location. Some problems may have no decent solutions for right now.

More ideas and suggestions added daily! Please note!

Problem 1: Cannot chat while shop (or tab?) is open
Solution(?): Compare old coding with new shop coding to once again enable chat with new UI features
**Apparently they are working on this but will probably not have the coding changed for it by the new year**

Problem 2: UI/Shop/tab takes up a lot of the screen even with changing hud size; Shop and tab have a lot of wasted space which could stand to be condensed/shrunk; In some resolutions, shop is so huge it actually covers minimap.
Solutions: Condense images to counter the amount of wasted space taking up the screen (ie removing borders on items/owned items; move "owned items", gold amount, and "sell" button to right side of screen to more evenly weight shops-- LOTS of empty space there), make shop transparent, find a way to change/scale the size of the screens in user options, and/or create an option to revert to old shop;

Problem 3: UI/Shop seems bulky, cluttered, unorganized, unstreamlined,
Solutions: Try to weigh text more evenly/symmetrically (lots of text on left, lots of wasted space on right); Ask for feedback and consider users’ suggestions as to how it could be better arranged in a more appealing way; consider using a custom HUD such as from http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2369285; ; Also: refer to solutions for problem 2

Problem 4: Shop seems inefficient; Items cannot be purchased efficiently with clicks—more clicks are needed to buy items than previously (nearly 4 times to buy one item, which can result in accidentally purchasing wrong item or too many of an item); shop clicks are laggy; leveling up is laggy; search feature/shop is laggy
Solutions: Find a way to make clicks more efficient—it should only take one or two clicks to buy an item—not four! Make UI more mouse/click friendly*

Problem 5: While the shop seems to be huge, other graphics/text seem to be too small or poor (ex: Assist pictures/kills are tiny compared to what they used to be, Recall text/animation, item # (not position) hard to decipher in new text without sacrificing screen size by bumping up hud resolution)
Solutions: Allow an option to change sizing of these, OR, revert these less important graphics to size they used to be

Problem 6: New colors/look of UI are an eyesore (both literally and figuratively)
Solutions: Make it so that thick borders of new UI can be thinned out or removed/turned off; change color of flares from tealish to something less straining on the eyes, allow option to revert to old UI

Problem 7: Surrender bar needs borders once more. It is hard for colorblind people to decipher the difference in colors and it makes it hard to count votes on quick glance since they are all blended now.
Solution: Add the black border around each individual vote, as they were before.

Problem 8: Search text cannot be highlighted/and backspaced/deleted in case of mistakes/typos
Solution: Find a way to make UI more mouse friendly* so that items can be backspaced

Problem 9: Position numbers on items (lower left hand corner) are distracting (ex, Wards in 4th position may make you think you have 4 wards)
Solutions: Remove position number, as they seem unnecessary, or allow users to disable it

Problem 10: Mini map cannot be as big as it used to be(?)
Solution: Reference old mini map maximum size and reinstate, allow reversion to old HUD

Problem 11: Default purchasing screen doesn’t seem to save preference upon starting a new game
Solution:

Problem 12: Items with apostrophes unsearchable without it (ie Dorans MUST be found using Doran's)
Solution: Add alternate spellings to items that have apostrophes in their titles

Problem 13: Experience bar seems to have shrunken? -- harder to tell when about to level up.
Solution: Make it avail. to custom size or revert to old (size) settings, make entire length of stats box, not only about 1/2 of it.

Problem 14: Changing item placement via dragging doesn't seem to cooperate
Solution:

Problem 15: "Sells for" (and amount) seems to no longer be listed
Solution: Re-add sellback value so you know how much your items sellback for!

Search suggestions
Make "search" tab available on both shop screens, not just one.
Add some sort of feature for search items in the case of misspellings/typos (ie “did your mean”)
Add common support types/roles in the search, to bring up related items (ie "tanky" and "support" -- neither of which exist currently)
Make it so words w/ apostrophes are still searchable (ie Doran's as Dorans)
Add "10 or ten" to "gold per" search (gold per ten; gold per 10). 10/Ten doesn't register currently.

Other suggestions/important suggestions to reiterate:
Consider removing the borders around "owned" items and items in general. This will take away from the "wasted space" feel by making things more compact, like they used to be. (and less graphics = less lag, no?)
Place "sell" button and gold amount closer to "buy" button-- on right side (would also help even out the R and L sides of shop)
Make boots, 3 pots recommended items for ALL characters, not just some.
Allow pressing "enter" to purchase an item (may speed up shop times)
Undo purchase feature (I know this was discussed but just re-mentioning it, especially since clicking can cause issues with the current lag)
Thanks for taking the time to organize this feedback!

1. Yes we are looking into this, but we only have one patch before Christmas for critical issues... because no one wants to hose the game and have to bring people in over the holidays. :-o

2. We wanted a shop scale slider for release. This should solve most problems as the shop is actually scaled up quite a bit larger than it needs to be for text legibility in higher resolutions.

3. We made a deliberate decision to keep the right side very similar to the old shop because we were changing so much. This may change in the future, but probably not anytime soon.

4. I'd challenge your assertion that the new shop takes more clicks to buy items, especially if you are using icon view. I'd suggest people are less used to navigating it so it feels like it takes longer. The old shop took an extremely large number of clicks to find items not in your 6 recommended. We will be tracking stats on this vs. historical data to verify this hypothesis and will make corrections to meet our goals of making shop navigation more efficient.

If you are getting lag in the item shop, please post dxdiags. Also the double click time in the shop was set too short, this should be more generous in an upcoming patch. I'll see about using the windows setting, but because this is inside a game we don't use the event system the same way, so this is not provided for "free" to us, we need to build that support.

5. The HUD has font quality rendering problems that the shop and menus don't. I very much want to have them addressed, it's a significant technical undertaking though.

7. Yeah, we have changes like this that we want to make to the surrender dialog. I'm not happy with the presentation right now.

8. This is probably lower priority for us to do, ideally you're not needing to input large strings to search that would benefit a lot from this kind of text selection. We would also have to implement this from scratch, we are not using windows UI components because they are not suitable for use in-engine.

9. We're unlikely to remove the numbers for item shortcuts as they are really useful for teaching newer players that you can activate items and also use hotkeys to do it. In our testing we didn't notice large problems with people getting confused by the numbers, but it's something we're watching. If we get persistent problems that aren't going away as people get used to the HUD, we'll explore some different presentations.

11. If you can reproduce not saving your item shop view settings reliably, I'd like to hear more details. This should be working. Posting dxdiags, game.cfg from your config directory will help us track this down.

12. This should resolve itself as we build out our library of colloquialisms in search terms (you can currently search for bf instead of b.f. for example or triforce = trinity force). If you find any that are missing, post a list here.

13. We will likely show the raw XP numbers, they'll be more useful anyways. It was an oversight that it didn't ship like that.

14. Changing item placement has never worked in the item shop, new or old. You've always had to do this through the HUD. We would like to add that, but it involves replicating the drag and drop implementation in the item shop so it did not make the list for initial release.

15. It's on the tooltip for the item in your shop inventory as it always has been! The difference is that selecting the item no longer shows it in the description panel. We are investigating changing that and switching the button to sell in those cases with sells for:

ExpertSockThrow

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
~snip, shop lag and dxdiag, snip~
Hi boourns, my shop experience is notably laggy, especially when I open and close it. It also has a small delay when I buy an item, sometimes causing me to buy it once more than expected (e.g. I want to buy three health pots but end up with four). This is persistent throughout the game on all maps. Here's my dxdiag, hope it helps!

Vulking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
12. This should resolve itself as we build out our library of colloquialisms in search terms (you can currently search for bf instead of b.f. for example or triforce = trinity force). If you find any that are missing, post a list here.
HP, I want to search for standard acronyms like HP, currently you cant search HP items with the HP acronym

KevinDelMarr

12-12-2012

Is it just me, or is the area where you can buy/sell smaller than before? Like whenever I'm in the direction of Bot lane, even at the fountain steps it doesn't let me buy and sell. Still don't know why the area is focused around the shopkeeper, and not the center of the fountain.

KevinDelMarr

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulking View Post
HP, I want to search for standard acronyms like HP, currently you cant search HP items with the HP acronym
I thought I could type in "hp" for "health pot", but sadly got nothing

KevinDelMarr

12-12-2012

Will we get an "Aura" or an "Aura and Active" page? Often I'll try to look for Support oriented items with an effect like these but with no way to look for friendly buffs as part of items, I need to remember the item I'm looking for or else fumble through the various menus

123456 ... 7