New shop UI assumes everybody uses widescreen monitors

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

roboticaust

Recruiter

12-10-2012

Players who won't upgrade their monitors assume the rest of us care about their plight.

AbsolutionJailor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
At high res the shop scales up too much, I wanted to have a shop scale slider for release, but we could not get it in time.
Is there a shop scale slider coming eventually? That sounds very neat.

Zielmann

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutionJailor View Post
Is there a shop scale slider coming eventually? That sounds very neat.
This is what it sounds like. Hopefully they can bring it in with the next patch.

boourns

UI Designer

12-11-2012
2 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHat27 View Post
So, you purposely made it so I can't ask my team which item I should get first as a support to counter the enemy?
Objection, leading the witness.

leonresevil2

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-12-2012

The old shop didn't seem to have size issues, I even was fine with it on a 5:4 monitor (yes they exist). The new shop is a swollen mass for everyone. I love the functionality but the aesthetics are just bad for it.
Consider the shop in Dota 2 that is about as wide as 1.5 minimaps and fits every screen. Granted their sorting system is bad but it offers a simple recommended item set, shop list, and search results all on one tab. It's fast, clean, and let's you get what you want quickly. Making it look fancy and unique can be good as long as it doesn't interfere with access, and this new shop currently is. It lags in opening and closing, obscures far more of the screen, and requires longer mouse travel to navigate as far as I can tell.

boourns

UI Designer

12-12-2012
3 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonresevil2 View Post
The old shop didn't seem to have size issues, I even was fine with it on a 5:4 monitor (yes they exist). The new shop is a swollen mass for everyone. I love the functionality but the aesthetics are just bad for it.
Consider the shop in Dota 2 that is about as wide as 1.5 minimaps and fits every screen. Granted their sorting system is bad but it offers a simple recommended item set, shop list, and search results all on one tab. It's fast, clean, and let's you get what you want quickly. Making it look fancy and unique can be good as long as it doesn't interfere with access, and this new shop currently is. It lags in opening and closing, obscures far more of the screen, and requires longer mouse travel to navigate as far as I can tell.
The DOTA 2 shop is more compact, but they sacrifice ease of learning somewhat to do it (can't see names of items without tooltipping).

We elected to focus on making the recommended items and the item shop in general a better learning tool for players. Also, at higher resolutions our shop is scaled up too much. We will allow more player control over this in a future release.

S3b1gut

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
The DOTA 2 shop is more compact, but they sacrifice ease of learning somewhat to do it (can't see names of items without tooltipping).

We elected to focus on making the recommended items and the item shop in general a better learning tool for players. Also, at higher resolutions our shop is scaled up too much. We will allow more player control over this in a future release.
It would be a lot of effort to make a "secondary" item shop wit a more compact, DOTA 2 Stylish, activable from the "more options" or "interface" menu?

This way you can have the "default" shop, useful for new players and people who prefer to have a big shop and as an option you can have a compact, less "intrusive" (not saying the actual item shop is super intrusive, but you can always improve) in the menu options.

Not sure if it's possible or even worth it in design time, just an idea I got. What do you think?

leonresevil2

12-12-2012

The old shop didn't have a bunch of helpful info, and I understand the goal to make items easier to understand. I'm glad that there is grid view support to reduce this info for players once they are comfortable with the items, but the shop remains large and wastes horizontal space.

Any word at least on if there would be an option to remove the border elements? It seems like these create noticeable freezing on opening and closing.

boourns

UI Designer

12-12-2012
4 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3b1gut View Post
It would be a lot of effort to make a "secondary" item shop wit a more compact, DOTA 2 Stylish, activable from the "more options" or "interface" menu?

This way you can have the "default" shop, useful for new players and people who prefer to have a big shop and as an option you can have a compact, less "intrusive" (not saying the actual item shop is super intrusive, but you can always improve) in the menu options.

Not sure if it's possible or even worth it in design time, just an idea I got. What do you think?
We are looking at something like that for the future. Being able to scale the shop is one way.

boourns

UI Designer

12-12-2012
5 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonresevil2 View Post
The old shop didn't have a bunch of helpful info, and I understand the goal to make items easier to understand. I'm glad that there is grid view support to reduce this info for players once they are comfortable with the items, but the shop remains large and wastes horizontal space.

Any word at least on if there would be an option to remove the border elements? It seems like these create noticeable freezing on opening and closing.
Those are two separate issues. If you are getting freezing issues please attach a dxdiag so we can reproduce it and continue tracking down this problem. Can't say for sure if we would remove border elements, that's not my call.