Jungling in new TT.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yuanakil

12-11-2012

I have jungled all but a handful of my 3s games since the Shadow Isles patch dropped, using champions from Amumu to Darius to Xin to Elise, and I will say for certain that jungling can definitely work. The stigma against it seems to come from people having a lack of experience with 3s jungling and doing a poor job, or from teammates being incapable of holding a solo lane (not as hard as it sounds) and blaming it on the jungler. Unfortunately, I've noticed that in the games where somebody doesn't believe I can jungle successfully we tend to do much worse as a team because my role isn't properly taken into account.

I tend to pick my junger based on my team's comp; that is, go tanky if we need tankiness, AP if we need AP, AD if we need that, CC corresponding to the kind we're missing, etc. In my experience, the best 3s junglers have a lot of mobility and burst plus some CC, but almost anything can work as long as it fits in with your team's comp.

Regardless of what champ you pick, I strongly suggest building one or two gp10 items ASAP and buying potions with your excess starting gold. You, more than either of your teammates, can afford to be weaker in the early game as long as you can clear the monster camps successfully, so the gp10 is absolutely worth it. I like to go p-stone on tanks or people with no sustain, Avarice Blade on any melee and Kage's on any AP. These items (minus p-stone) are more worthwhile now that they have more diverse build paths.

People laugh at Smite in TT, but I highly recommend it; you should be able to use it once per clear on the big golem in order to efficiently take down the golem camp. On your first clear, this means you should hit level 2 by the time you kill the big wraith (the second camp you should hit). It also means that if you have a fast clear time you can take out golems again before the altar first unlocks and hit level 3. I like Flash for my other spell, but that's largely a stylistic/strategic choice; if you plan on building Eleisa's on an hp-based tank then you might want to take Heal instead, for example.

What is said above about communication is important--you should encourage teammates to call mias quickly and also to be careful in the early game. Additionally, while I rarely take the sight items, keep in mind that if your enemies ever start to consistently counter-jungle you then you *must* purchase one. It's worth noting that Twin Shadows can function as a very effective sight item if used properly.

Jungling in TT takes some practice, but I find that I almost always get the highest gold on my team and often end up with the most out of both teams even if I lost--owed partly to the gp10 items and partly to the amazing gold output of the jungle. My team also gets excess levels at certain points, and while we often lose the early game we generally come back and stomp face later.

The main disadvantage to jungling is that an ADC solo bot is going to have a hard time, but I've seen some people do a great job there anyway.

Anyway. All that to say: In my experience, jungling in TT is definitely viable--you just have to know what you're doing, just like on SR.

George W Nome

Game Designer

12-11-2012
1 of 2 Riot Posts

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...ated_3v3_team/

Check this out for some tips; maybe he'll post in the forums too. The jungle was designed to be fairly ambiguous in role and dependent on your strategy. I've never been a fan of a required dedicated jungler. I've mentioned this a few times before, but the altar capture mechanic will be changed in the upcoming patch (1.73), and I've currently doing some work to replace the speed shrines as well (targeted for 1.74). Some re-tooling of the jungle will either be coupled with the speed shrine changes or be held back for 1.75 to see the previous changes in isolation.

I think the fact that there's debate whether to run a jungler or not is healthy though

Prince Kassad

12-11-2012

See, I always thought jungling was a core part of the game. There are jungle masteries, a jungle summoner spell, champions that are literally labeled as junglers, and the jungle is even mentioned in lots of the champion tips. Some champions just don't have the tools to survive in lane (Amumu, Rammus, Hecarim). It feels silly to have only 1 of the 4 maps really support jungling. I guess I can understand the lack of jungle in Dominion (and of course Murderbridge), but I feel like any "Classic" game mode should have proper fully fledged jungle.

I don't like the way the new jungle feels in TT. It is so simple to navigate and it's just not enjoyable. If you do choose to play a jungler, it feels like a lot of the fun is gone.

Yuanakil

12-11-2012

Jungling is my favorite role, solo top second, so I'm glad to see it getting at least partial support in TT. While I agree that TT jungling is much simpler, I also find it much less boring because there's so much less running around to worry about aside from post-Recall and harassment is much easier to accomplish without ganks being a constant reality. I also enjoy being the gatekeeper to the altar, so to speak, because it gives me a responsibility that doesn't have a direct analogue in 5s (where your buffs can get stolen without warning at times).

(Edit): I also appreciate that TT seems to have an incredibly wide variety of viable junglers (I've been trying out Singed today and it's been working fairly well); I would be sad to see that go away if/when the TT jungle is adjusted.

George W Nome

Game Designer

12-11-2012
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuanakil View Post
Jungling is my favorite role, solo top second, so I'm glad to see it getting at least partial support in TT. While I agree that TT jungling is much simpler, I also find it much less boring because there's so much less running around to worry about aside from post-Recall and harassment is much easier to accomplish without ganks being a constant reality. I also enjoy being the gatekeeper to the altar, so to speak, because it gives me a responsibility that doesn't have a direct analogue in 5s (where your buffs can get stolen without warning at times).

(Edit): I also appreciate that TT seems to have an incredibly wide variety of viable junglers (I've been trying out Singed today and it's been working fairly well); I would be sad to see that go away if/when the TT jungle is adjusted.
Any adjustments made to the jungle would (hopefully) increase the variety of viable junglers, not decrease them.

Yuanakil

12-11-2012

I really appreciate that, given that I enjoy surprising people with strange jungler choices (like Singed or Elise), and it allows me to better adjust to my team's comp if I have more options to choose from.

P0tat0salad

12-11-2012

Currently, jungle is a very important part of 3v3. Anyone who says differently is honestly just wrong...

Granted there are no buffs, but in place of buffs, there are altars, which can be protected by a jungler.

While there are only 3 camps, they respawn quickly so you can be relatively consistent with your experience and gold.

Ganking is very good in 3v3 since there are no wards to watch where a jungler may be (minus teemo).

Also one of the most advantageous reasons for jungling in 5v5 is shared in 3v3, to allow the jungler and solo laner maximum experience and gold.

I only ever play jungle in 3v3 now, and I've been quite successful doing so. I like skarner the most when I jungle.

As for the tips, starting items vary but Dorans/Vampric is your best hope. Since none of the cool new jungle items are in 3v3, Grez's is a must (you can't pass over the active or passive). As for a path, Wraiths, Wolves, Golems, Gank/Respawns/Altar. Its not to hard a little experimentation is key though.

Also, don't take smite, there are no buffs to secure here and Vilemaw fights are relatively rare. And if it isn't working to well for you, just return to lane, no one says you can't.

MauxFire

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-11-2012

I'd disagree about smite. It is still worth considering. It lets you clear the entire jungle before the alters unlock and gives you the opportunity for a early lvl 2 gank. If that is successful then you are clear to take their alter. It's one quality of this map, it snowballs really hard. So smite is still worth considering. Early game advantage often equals a win.

blazerboy

12-11-2012

What my friends always do (so far undefeated in 3s as a team) is bruiser & AP bot, with a tankish person top (like singed) (or vice versa) once the bruiser (usually me on pantheon, jax, someone like that) hits 3-5 (depending on how much they're needed in lane) they transition to farming in the jungle which allows us to get an overall level experience, plus the tank is high enough level that they can survive the possible 1 v 2 while I'm farming/ ganking top (and we switch lanes to make the ap have a 1 v 1 if needed). It works well, but teemo is a b**** to play against because of the shrooms (we usually ban him unless we want him XD).

ZestySmurfgasm

12-12-2012

what about diana jungle in 3s? i've been interested in her but i'm not sure if I want to get her. also, does anyone know how to build udyr in 3s jungle?