@IronStylus, Steel Legion Lux

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

12-11-2012
3 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter228 View Post
Can't wait to hear your feedback, but it is good to know you're still around.
Am I ever NOT around? =)

Lux Eternus

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter228 View Post
Can't wait to hear your feedback, but it is good to know you're still around. I know we're being awful impatient, but when I stop to think about it, I'd rather you take your time and be able to answer all of our questions then just throw something out there.
I completely agree. Thanks for giving us an update- it actually means alot to us Lux players. Don't let the negative comments of some (i.e. Riot doesn't care etc) make you believe we are all like that- i'm happy to wait as long as i know we're still being thought about.

Critmaster Garen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Am I ever NOT around? =)
theme saturation aside, the design of lux armor is kind of unappealing.

the staff looks pretty cool and i like the autoattack and recall animation, but the shape and design of the armor seems to miss its mark.

if i compare it to the iron solari skin you made for leona and the details you put into it. i cant help but think that even within this mecha suit theme, it could have turned out better. leonas skin is a full body armor too, but it looks pretty damn awesome, without feeling bulky or ugly.

i wish you would give lux armor a more female shape and put more details into it. her headpiece needs work too. it looks kind of awkward.

The Red Magister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-11-2012

Parrot, you never disappoint. ;x

I'm pretty sure the finished product is gonna come out excellently.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

12-11-2012
4 of 4 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmYourAlly View Post
I completely agree. Thanks for giving us an update- it actually means alot to us Lux players. Don't let the negative comments of some make you believe we are all like that- i'm happy to wait as long as i know we're still being thought about.
I want to make sure you always have the proper context and information. It's not easy being on this side of development sometimes. People don't always have the entire picture, sometimes things on our end change, sometimes we have to hold our tongues for reasons which we can't even talk about. Often it's just standard practices I try to live by:

Don't promise anything that can't be delivered upon.
Don't unreasonably raise expectations.
Don't discuss specific features.
Don't speak about release dates.

That's all very industry standard. It's a code that we live by despite how much we might want to spill our guts in an emotional way at a time of heated passion or let people in on the very rigorous processes we have to show them the entire scheme, I've logged a lot of time in a lot of different communities to know that I can't let my emotions get a handle on me. That's why I tend to try to step back, let things settle, make sure I have my information straight, and then come back to the discussion.

Right now Lux is PBE content. That's not set in stone, but it's still obviously visible for eyes to see that we're making. Certain assumptions come with that by our players, sometimes without the entire picture, sometimes without the nuance involved in the production.

At the end of the day however, this is about you, our players being happy and feel as though you've had a part in creating what we produce. I want you to know specifically that I have read what's been discussed. I did the concept for Steel Legion Lux but right now I feel the context is missing. I'm not in a position to discuss the context right now because I'm at the very beginning of that process in the pipeline, I'm not involved in cadence and release. I have made my thoughts and opinions available to those who are and we're all having a very productive internal discussion about the facets of skin production and release.

Perhaps the best I can say right now is that I do have concerns about cadence and theme saturation, but again, I'm discussing that internally with people. That's where the real solutions will come from.

We'll get things sorted out, we'll always look to our players to make sure we're listening. Things are still fluid. Things are still up for discussion. I'd like to keep the discussion going and simply get more feedback from all sides of the conversation. As always, the positive discussions are the most valuable, those are the ones I pay attention to.

NJ Gamer

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I want to make sure you always have the proper context and information. It's not easy being on this side of development sometimes. People don't always have the entire picture, sometimes things on our end change, sometimes we have to hold our tongues for reasons which we can't even talk about. Often it's just standard practices I try to live by:

Don't promise anything that can't be delivered upon.
Don't unreasonably raise expectations.
Don't discuss specific features.
Don't speak about release dates.

That's all very industry standard. It's a code that we live by despite how much we might want to spill our guts in an emotional way at a time of heated passion or let people in on the very rigorous processes we have to show them the entire scheme, I've logged a lot of time in a lot of different communities to know that I can't let my emotions get a handle on me. That's why I tend to try to step back, let things settle, make sure I have my information straight, and then come back to the discussion.

Right now Lux is PBE content. That's not set in stone, but it's still obviously visible for eyes to see that we're making. Certain assumptions come with that by our players, sometimes without the entire picture, sometimes without the nuance involved in the production.

At the end of the day however, this is about you, our players being happy and feel as though you've had a part in creating what we produce. I want you to know specifically that I have read what's been discussed. I did the concept for Steel Legion Lux but right now I feel the context is missing. I'm not in a position to discuss the context right now because I'm at the very beginning of that process in the pipeline, I'm not involved in cadence and release. I have made my thoughts and opinions available to those who are and we're all having a very productive internal discussion about the facets of skin production and release.

Perhaps the best I can say right now is that I do have concerns about cadence and theme saturation, but again, I'm discussing that internally with people. That's where the real solutions will come from.

We'll get things sorted out, we'll always look to our players to make sure we're listening. Things are still fluid. Things are still up for discussion. I'd like to keep the discussion going and simply get more feedback from all sides of the conversation. As always, the positive discussions are the most valuable, those are the ones I pay attention to.
you da man Stylus

Ibuki Suika

12-11-2012

good guy stylus <3

Shinrasaa

12-11-2012

Hey IronStylus, sorry if things got too emotional here before, but Lux was one of the first champions I played and I would really love to get her a really great skin >-<

Well, here are my thoughts (long read), I'll seperate "Steel Legion Theme" and "Skin for Lux":

First, Skin for Lux:
I'm sorry, but I think you missed the mark with this skin. When looking at it, it doesn't feel like Lux. And I know she has a history in the military, but there is one huge problem I have with it: The very basic concept of what Lux is was forgotten with this theme. If you were to present that skin to new players who do not know who Lux is or what role she can be played, I am sure no one would still recognize the original idea of Lux: A light mage.

All the alleged characteristics we gave her aside, she was designed with the idea of being Garen's sister and a light mage. I wasn't around at that time, but there was a huge outcry in the community before her release because people didn't like the initial concept. And then she was changed to what she was today and her original concept fits that image so well. If you look at Lux's classic skin, you instantly know what she was meant to be. In my opinion, Steel Legion Lux destroys that image of her.

I know a lot can be done to make the skin better and maybe make it appeal to more people, but I would rather have you scrap it alltogether and think about a skin that really plays off the light mage idea. Make it magical, make it with light colors, make it elegant, make it play off her tragic past or make it bubbly and lighthearted, but please rethink if you want to make Lux a part of the Steel Legion.

Ok, the Steel Legion as a theme:
I think if you want to go along with the theme, a lot can be done for it. I don't know how it ties in to the lore or how the other skins look, I'll just go with what I saw for Lux: I think you should go more for a Battle priestess Soraka look for the theme as a whole. Let me explain. the BS Soraka was scrapped some time ago, but it still captured Soraka's essence. It wasn't all armor and one dull color, it still was formfitting, not all armor and combined both the idea of her being a Healer and someone on the frontline so to say. I think a theme is never meant to come first and foremost, it's always important that the theme fits to a champion and not that a theme is forced on a champion. So yeah, overall: Less armor and more preservence of a champion's form, more color and maybe not all armor would be great (as far as it's possible) and this theme just won't fit EVERY champion, so be very careful who can become a part of it, it's not just the lore that needs to be considered.

Well, long post, not sure how helpful it is, but those are my thoughts, I hope they aren't all over the place.
Sorry if discussion got too heated or too aggressive before, but Lux really deserves this discussion I think. Thanks for still sticking with us.

Critmaster Garen

12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWithoutTophat View Post
Ok, the Steel Legion as a theme:
I think if you want to go along with the theme, a lot can be done for it. I don't know how it ties in to the lore or how the other skins look, I'll just go with what I saw for Lux: I think you should go more for a Battle priestess Soraka look for the theme as a whole. Let me explain. the BS Soraka was scrapped some time ago, but it still captured Soraka's essence. It wasn't all armor and one dull color, it still was formfitting, not all armor and combined both the idea of her being a Healer and someone on the frontline so to say. I think a theme is never meant to come first and foremost, it's always important that the theme fits to a champion and not that a theme is forced on a champion. So yeah, overall: Less armor and more preservence of a champion's form, more color and maybe not all armor would be great (as far as it's possible) and this theme just won't fit EVERY champion, so be very careful who can become a part of it, it's not just the lore that needs to be considered.

Well, long post, not sure how helpful it is, but those are my thoughts, I hope they aren't all over the place.
Sorry if discussion got too heated or too aggressive before, but Lux really deserves this discussion I think. Thanks for still sticking with us.
this sums it up pretty nicely. the form of lux armor seems weird and too bulky and not fitting to her. the headpiece too looks awkward.

Nkighte

12-11-2012

Thank you for being upfront and honest with us Ironstylus, its something that I've appreciated about the way riot responds to its community. I look forward to having a discussion once more information can be gathered.

I do hope tho that the discussion of the Steel Legion theme will be more about how it fits to Lux rather than the other way around. I believe that Lux fans are just concerned that the concept may be taking precedence and overshadowing Lux as a champion. I personally felt that she was unrecognizable and was overwhelmed by the armor, losing some of her girlish/feminine/bubbly qualities.

Again thank you so much for taking time out of your schedule to chat with us :]