Okay guys, here's what we do about Katarina's animation removal

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phykos

12-07-2012

Oh I'll downvote it. I'll be extremely dissappointed in Riot if they seriously plan to remove it.

Maou

12-07-2012

The recalling animation wasn't the reason I was going to buy it. I was going to buy the skin because it was unique even though the skin itself isn't anything special. However if they actually removed the recalling animation, I'm not buying it now on principle. There is absolutely no reason to remove it.

Morello

Lead Designer

12-07-2012
1 of 39 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson62 View Post
If they remove it i will also ask for riot to implement a maturity feature, like every single game that shows blood or suggestive themes.

Haters and overprotective parents can turn it off
I need to be clear about something here: the reason we're removing it (and make no mistake, we are) is because there's a lot of places where we're happy to do that, as you guys have noticed, but this skin was not the right place for this sort of thing.

Nidalee has a spear, easily a pole. She's also generally closely related to "hot night elf chick" and has some innate *** appeal to her - pole dance is awesome here.

Katarina in Reindeer ears with a pole dance is just off. It's not about right and wrong, it's not about sensitivity, it's about "what makes sense with this content?"

If you want to think there's some PC police that guide our hand, I can't stop you, but do a quick search on our thoughts to the contrary of this (go look in the spider queen or Nami threads) you'll find that we normally go forward with it when we believe it's the right choice for the champ or skin. In this case, it's just not.

EDIT: Included more complete reasoning from later in the thread:

Let me slow down and give you a more nuanced explanation herd (I tend to get caught up in the rapid-fire of volume posts coming in and post too quickly to fully communicate the intended thought):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello
Let's take a look at two sexy female champions, using their bases as an example: Miss Fortune and Katarina.

Miss Fortune Over-the-top pirate hunter. Outwardly sexualized to a point of character definition. "****ty" personality, "hot girl."

Katarina Deadly, sadistic dagger assassin. Sleek, quick and deadly. Shows cleavage and midriff to make attractive, but not seductive personality-wise. Keeps it sleek and quick - not a lot of adornment.

These characters are both really sexy from a proportions and clothing standpoint (equally so in a lot of ways). However, Miss Fortune's base should blast you with sexuality and never conserve on it - it's important to everything she is designed to be.

Katarina is generally sexy as an aside, not as a primary motivator. She's a cool assassin either way, having her be hot just makes her generally more visually appealing. Sexiness is secondary to cool.

You can do the same thin on Kitty Kat Katarina and the Christmas Katarina skin. Kitty Kat Kat is "that ****ty costume on Halloween" start to finish. Christmas Kat uses more Christmas tropes overall, and that tends to be the theme - it has sexiness because Katarina is sexy overall, but it's a secondary theme. High Command Katarina is the same in this regard (though more serious).

We may disagree, and that's OK, but this is the evaluation type we're talking about here. Maybe we sold "sexy" more than intended, maybe it's the read from the animation itself overall, but it's secondary to the character - not primary. Sexuality is more primary on Nidalee too (which is why we didn't change her pole dance on the rework).

Hopefully this makes more sense, in context. Gonna put this up front for more visibility.

FizzleStix

12-07-2012

Boo

Tsubakixv

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I need to be clear about something here: the reason we're removing it (and make no mistake, we are) is because there's a lot of places where we're happy to do that, as you guys have noticed, but this skin was not the right place for this sort of thing.

Nidalee has a spear, easily a pole. She's also generally closely related to "hot night elf chick" and has some innate *** appeal to her - pole dance is awesome here.

Katarina in Reindeer ears with a pole dance is just off. It's not about right and wrong, it's not about sensitivity, it's about "what makes sense with this content?"

If you want to think there's some PC police that guide our hand, I can't stop you, but do a quick search on our thoughts to the contrary of this (go look in the spider queen or Nami threads) you'll find that we normally go forward with it when we believe it's the right choice for the champ or skin. In this case, it's just not.
Hold on a second so you're telling me between keeping an awesome, unique animation vs keeping some lame antlers you'd rather remove the animation.... Morello dawg you can't be real on this. Katarina is an assassin that spins and throws daggers while hitting multiple targets simultaneously and she is incapable of dancing on a pole?

Poundman

12-07-2012

only if you promise to cut yourself afterwards.

TheUltimate3

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazam256 View Post
Can someone explain what happened to me plz?
This morning word of the Snowdown Showdown skins were revealed, and with it it was discovered that Katarina had a new recall animation where she summons a giant candy cane out the ground, swings on it and does pose before warping back to base.

As per General Forums, this place exploded with cries that they were making Katarina into a *****, ****, stripper who already has to many limited addition skins in general. After what I can gather of 16 or so hours of this, Volibar posted this

Quote:
You’re right. This doesn’t really fit with her thematically, and it’s too much. We’ll be removing it.
meaning they will be removing the animation. This had in turn caused the Sexes War to begin where people are now pointing out that a bunch of skins don't fit thematically and should in fairness also be removed or else this is merely a case of Riot caving into "white knighting" and "feminists".

Jiz Khalifa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2012

Quote:

Why not?
If any female champ in the League should be able to have spinning skills, it should be Katarina.

HolyHammerStrike

12-07-2012

Quote:

So giving an over the top skin an over the top animation is out of place?

Morello

Lead Designer

12-07-2012
2 of 39 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsubakixv View Post
Hold on a second so you're telling me between keeping an awesome, unique animation vs keeping some lame antlers you'd rather remove the animation.... Morello dawg you can't be real on this.
Then basically, you don't like the theme of this skin. That's OK, the animation is not the skin's thematic - it's an additional element that runs counter to it.

Again, I don't think my history shows me as sensitive to this overall, so the intent argument is moot.