@Meddler: Syndra Clarification

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BeelzeBuff

12-07-2012

Question on Syndra's ult, does it apply Muramana damage to each sphere?

I believe it does, as i was one-shotting bots with it when i tried it in a bot game. But i may be wrong, just asking you to check it out please

HUME armaGEDDY

12-07-2012

Each sphere is counted as a proc, not ability cast. However, each sphere is granted the +25% damage (considered per-tick) at the cost of increased Mana.

Why you would want Manamune/Muramana on Syndra, god only knows, though. AA Staff into Seraphs Embrace is better due to giving her something she lacks: survivability. She gets a pretty big shield. Still, there are better options than either of those. Go Chalice into Athene if you really need Mana early game.

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

12-07-2012
1 of 3 Riot Posts

You're correct, each sphere is treated as a separate single target spell.

There's some kinda scary potential there in a best case scenario, you're paying quite a lot for an item that doesn't help you out much otherwise though so it's currently working as intended. It's something we'll keep an eye on just in case though of course.

H2ojames

12-07-2012

what's going on with Nami why hasn't she been released?

Crevox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2012

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...3#post32173543

Quote:
Syndra - [W] - Force of Will
First Cast: Grabs target Dark Sphere or enemy minion.If no target is selected,grabs nearest legal target.
Why was this changed? So far, all of the changes to Syndra have been good, but this one is flat out bad. By changing this, you remove the reliable method to grab your sphere. If the sphere is in the middle of minions, or if a crazy team fight is going on... I rely on this mechanic to get my sphere instead of a minion or something else. I am aware of the fact that the W prioritizes the sphere if you hover over it with a minion there, but it doesn't always work, and sometimes grabs a minion anyways. The "grab nearest orb" with the W was buggy (required a couple button presses sometimes) but it was extremely useful to ensure you'd grab your sphere.

Now, this reliable method is no longer possible, and it will grab whatever is nearby... and yes, I just tested this on the PBE. Riot, please reconsider this change. I don't believe you intended it to be a nerf, but it is. There is very little gain from this quality of life change in terms of Syndra's playability, but it also brings a nerf to those who play her very often.

BeelzeBuff

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
You're correct, each sphere is treated as a separate single target spell.

There's some kinda scary potential there in a best case scenario, you're paying quite a lot for an item that doesn't help you out much otherwise though so it's currently working as intended. It's something we'll keep an eye on just in case though of course.

Thanks for the prompt response!

It's definitely something for me to try, at least. My ELO isn't so high that i wouldn't mind wasting 100 or so of it trying a build with potential.

I believe Syndra is more powerful with CDR, tankiness, and spam instead of AP, so this new item helped me alot. Can't wait to try it against actual people.

Crevox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2012

Another good point is that nearest "legal" target includes shaco boxes, and currently on live, grabbing a shaco box before it's activated causes it to fear you.

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

12-07-2012
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crevox View Post
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...3#post32173543

Why was this changed? So far, all of the changes to Syndra have been good, but this one is flat out bad. By changing this, you remove the reliable method to grab your sphere. If the sphere is in the middle of minions, or if a crazy team fight is going on... I rely on this mechanic to get my sphere instead of a minion or something else. I am aware of the fact that the W prioritizes the sphere if you hover over it with a minion there, but it doesn't always work, and sometimes grabs a minion anyways. The "grab nearest orb" with the W was buggy (required a couple button presses sometimes) but it was extremely useful to ensure you'd grab your sphere.

Now, this reliable method is no longer possible, and it will grab whatever is nearby... and yes, I just tested this on the PBE. Riot, please reconsider this change. I don't believe you intended it to be a nerf, but it is. There is very little gain from this quality of life change in terms of Syndra's playability, but it also brings a nerf to those who play her very often.
This is a tooltip change as a result of a bit of miscommunication when we were doing a tooltip polish sweep and we'll be reverting to the old tooltip. Functionality shouldn't have changed at all r.e. how near the cursor a minion has to be to be picked up, I'll give that a check though to make sure. Using the grab on nothing to pick up an otherwise hard to click on sphere's very much the intended use here.

Regarding having to press the button a couple of times sometimes to grab a sphere I'd love any further details anyone's got on that. I've observed it happening myself but can't repro it on demand.

Crevox

12-07-2012

I tested it on the PBE and the functionality was changed. I did it quickly, so it may have been an error, but it seemed like it was changed. Thank you for looking into the issue.

The only thing I could find that potentially causes the grab not working at times is the fact that hitting W on a far away spot causes Syndra to run over there, stop, and try to grab something nearby that spot. However, even when ensuring I am aiming at an empty nearby spot, it still sometimes just doesn't work. Don't really know the cause for that.

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

12-07-2012
3 of 3 Riot Posts

The initial grab's always had a small check around the cursor for nearby units (nearest unit within a few hundred units) if something's not directly targeted. Is it possible that's what you were seeing?

Regarding the W not grabbing I've seen that occur even when the sphere and cursor are both well within the spell's cast range so there's definitely some other cause.