The Stripper Pole Is Too Much

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dainyan

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynfall View Post
I AM SO TIRED OF PEOPLE HATING ON HOT GIRLS.

I AM TIRED OF IT.

WOMEN EXlST.

THE MAJORITY OF THEM ARE ATTRACTIVE.

KAT IS ONE OF THEM.

KAT IS EXTREMELY SEXY ESPECIALLY IN THIS SKIN.

DEAL WITH IT.
I don't think anyone is hating on hot girls.

You're missing the point.

VanceStubbs

12-07-2012

I don't think people can count either, or understand the meaning behind "majority"

Gespens

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiOHazzzarD View Post
The Majority of women are NOT attractive.

Maybe only 10% or 5% of the female population is attractive.
Not in the world of 2D!

Runix

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagenBlitz View Post
If every skin that Riot released was "sleazy" and the game didn't have any, well, gameplay then that might make sense . . .

Yeah totally. Arclight Varus. Eternum Nocturne. Bad Santa Veigar. Vi. Snow Day Ziggs. Such stale, derivative trash.
You're picking out individual examples. I'm looking at the broader picture.

You can design a movie, or a game, to a broad audience, or you can cater to a very narrow one. It's not easy to do both at the same time.

The more you fill a movie with scantily clad women, the more quickly people will come to the conclusion that it's that kind of a movie, and the more narrow the audience will be. Conversely, the more the movie has well-developed characters, the more people will be inclined to take it seriously, and the more it will appeal to a broader audience.

You look at most computer games, and the way the characters are developed says a lot about the game. Diablo 3 has very consistent character design, and the characters are fairly well-thought-out; a bit cliched, perhaps, but there's nothing that suggest that it's not a well-developed game.

You look at League of Legends, and what you see are strippers, plushies, and robots. It looks, frankly, like it was designed for the 4chan crowd. That may go over well with the 4chan crowd, but good luck marketing that to a general audience.

Going back to the example of Blizzard, what Blizzard figured out was that video games have gone mainstream, and that they could appeal to a wider audience. But to do so, they quietly trimmed back some of the usual content that video game designers put in to appeal to teenage boys. Riot hasn't figured that out, and is still designing for the teenage boy audience. Guess who still has better sales, even though LoL is supposedly the hot new thing in gaming?

The comparison between mainline Hollywood films and late-night cable may have been a bit exaggerated, but the point is: one is attempting to appeal to as large an audience as possible, the other is attempting to make some quick money off a very narrow demographic. Riot's still going with the latter approach, and it shows.

LittleMewMew

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainyan View Post
I think people are misunderstanding the point of this thread. There is nothing wrong with pole dancing (or stripping, which pole dancing =/= stripping). There is nothing wrong with having sexy characters or sexy skins in this game. The problem is that nearly every single one of the female LoL characters are designed to be sexy. Many of the skins you can buy for them cater to stereotypical fantasies. Which isn't necessarily bad. However, it shouldn't make up the vast majority of the females.

Also, to people saying the pole dancing is an effective, excellent form of exercise (which it most definitely is), really? You think that's why they included an animation of her pole dancing? And I've always had a problem with Nidalee's dance.

At the end of the day, if you don't like it, don't buy it. But as a female, it does get tiring to see nearly every female in this game depicted in the same, purely sexual way. They don't have to be dressed like that. And women can still be sexy without their breasts (which in this game are sometimes so big it's almost comical) and their sexuality shoved front and center into your face.
You put this beautifully, but yeah I like a lot of champs in this game but some of it is just so over the top. It's really tough to be a gamer and just... deal with all this stuff that gets thrown in your face 24/7 and you're supposed to just "accept it" because "it's part of being a gamer." Hopefully it wont be, but unless the patriachy is burned to the ground I guess I don't have much choice...

Albireo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2012

Give Ruthless Phanteon the same recall animation

Problem Fixed.

Everyone is happy now

jameschat

12-07-2012

Wow... And I thought Nidalee's new dance was stepping over the boundaries...

LittleMewMew

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainyan View Post
It would be less of an issue for me if more of the male champs were also objectified in the same way the women are, but they're not.

I think everybody likes looking at pretty women. However, not all of the females need to have their boobs flopping around ALL the time.
^

I demand Chippendale Graves, Half naked Fire fighter Darius, and Unprepared Garen to compensate!

Toreka

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalze View Post
Why not?

Keep in mind that the skins do not change their lore,its just a cosmetic change.
Yes, it's only cosmetic, and perhaps in a perfect world where everyone is mature and intelligent to completely ignore the superfluous, cosmetic aspect of life then none of this would ever be a problem. But as it stands, this "females MUST exude their sexiness" attitude is only giving a thumbs up to shallowness.

I understand it's a fantasy game and the female characters don't have to be realistic, but they also don't all have to ooze sexy. I'm glad there are more champions like Diana, Leona and Vi, I think we're heading in the right direction. As long as there's a healthy amount of variety, I'll be happy.

IRuleAll

12-07-2012

What is with all the sheltered people. Holy ****, there is nothing wrong with this skin, and no I will not be buying it. What right do you have to tell people what is "morale," and what should or should not be in this game. Do you really think that this skin will not make Riot money? I would be willing to bet that Riot has tons statistics on how well *** sells based of previous skins/champs. And I would be willing to bet that *** appeal makes for good profit in this game just like any other company. Do you ever watch TV? Almost every add has some sort of *** appeal to it, even if the product has absolutely nothing to do with attractive women. Riot is in the business to make money, not to cater to what you deem morally appropriate. The game does have a teen rating. Have you seen how teen girls dress now? If you don't like it, don't buy it. That is the beauty of capitalism, make your voice heard with your wallet, but don't come in here telling Riot what they should or should not do...

EDIT: If Riot decides to change the skin, I support that decision; if they choose to leave it as is, I support that as well.