The Stripper Pole Is Too Much

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bekkal

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runix View Post
That's the thing: you can actually make money without trying to make a cheap buck off of immature teenage boys. Who do you think makes more money: a Hollywood studio that makes movies for a general audience, or a sleazy operation that makes direct-to-video sleaze-fests for men? There's a reason every actor and director aspires to be making money for Hollywood rather than late-night cable.

In fact, the only question is why someone would make sleaze-fests in the first place given how little they make, and the answer is: because it's easy. Asking some "actors" to take off their clothes is easy and cheap, and you can make a few bucks off of it, guaranteed. Making a blockbuster that appeals to a wide audience is expensive and risky - but the rewards are far greater.

The problem is, Riot is looking a lot more like Hot Times Productions than it is like Pixar. Rather than take a chance and invest in good design - which could fail big or pay off big - they're going for quick-and-easy fanservice that they know will sell at least a minimum amount.

The shame is, Riot actually does have talented designers, and they have, in the past, delivered some interesting designs. I have the distinct feeling that the stale sexytimes Champions and skins are more the product of orders from management than the creative minds of the designers. But just like in the movies, when management takes over, derivative trash is more than often the result, and that's what we're getting now.

There is so much wrong with this post that I literally could not think of how to start refuting it.

Just change everything in the post, It's all bad. All of it.

ChocolateMang0

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veevos View Post
Maybe... just maybe, I'm not the only person who feels this way? I'm just voicing my opinion, what they do is their prerogative.
welp you have at least 47 more people who dont like what you or whoever agrees with you are thinking

Veevos

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekkal View Post
There is so much wrong with this post that I literally could not think of how to start refuting it.

Just change everything in the post, It's all bad. All of it.
Great argument, bro.

Delicious Smores

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veevos View Post
Totally understandable, and I agree. There is a lot of content on television that is WAY worse than this. The thing is that Riot is trying to build a professional brand around League and really make eSports a household name. They've got a tough road ahead, and this type of skin will not exactly help them be taken seriously.
I'd actually have to say the cosplaying exposition from IPL5 is more detrimental to that goal. Not saying I didn't enjoy it, but I know a lot of people would very much look at it is a representation of a community of dorks.

Of course then I look at sports fans...

Runix

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsong22 View Post
I don't understand how people can be so upset about Kat's dance and not at the same time be ticked about Nids.
Nidalee's dance has been around for a long time (since launch?). The issue is, the designers have been talking about how they've been hearing complaints about female images in the game and they're taking a new direction, etc. Well, that's hard to believe when they release a new skin with a pole-dancing animation, and seems to indicate that they have no interest in moving away from depicting women as nothing but eye candy, and are saying what they're saying just to get people to shut up.

Calys Teneb

12-07-2012

Nidalee pole danced before it was cool...

Veevos

12-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen Kozuki View Post
Maybe you should stop judging women and calling them tramps because they are doing something you don't like.
Not calling dancers tramps. Calling the Katarina skin a tramp because it was made for dude to get their rocks off to. Women are free to do whatever they want with their bodies. And it's cute that you pretend that you care oh so much that I might have implied that. Something tells me you aren't a champion of the womens.

Krimson62

12-07-2012

pole dance had me rolling. Fun touch.

Dont like it... dont buy it. I dont play kat much anymore these days... It did make me laugh though

iPoky

12-07-2012

QQ some more

Kedali

12-07-2012

It should be noted also that these skins aren't just for men. Riot has said that the most popular champions among women are Miss Fortune and Sona. I'm sure some people will get their feathers ruffled over saying this, but fact is, most women like playing as skanky, top heavy characters.