December MCCC Entry -- Roxy, The Scrappy Barkeep

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ieroy

12-06-2012

If anyone is interested in doing some splash art or drawings of Roxy, I'd love to see them.

Roxy, the Scrappy Barkeep

Role: AP Bruiser, Support, Jungler
Attack Range: Melee
Weapon: Fists, Broken Bottles

Statistics

Attack Damage: Low
Ability Damage: Medium
Defense: High
Difficulty: Medium

Health: 475 (+85)
Health Regen: 8.5 (+.75)
Mana: 260 (+45)
Mana Regen: 5.5 (+.85)
Range: 125
Attack Damage: 59 (+3.2)
Attack Speed: .625 (+2.54%)
Armor: 17 (+3)
Magic Resist: 30 (+1.25)
Move Speed: 330

Lore

When Roxy purchased a hole-in-the-wall bar in a dark and dirty alleyway in Noxus, she never could have imagined that her establishment would attract such an unsavory clientele. A popular haunt for every kind of criminal and malcontent, Roxy's Bar soon became a hotbed of violence and illegal activity. With fights among the drunken patrons now a regular occurrence, Roxy quickly learned to keep the peace, by whatever means necessary. When Roxy isn't lending a sympathetic ear to a customer's woes or rewarding the well-behaved with free booze, she's using her highly persuasive fists to end fights before they start or helping her hired enforcer to throw the unruly out on the streets. Over time, Roxy developed a reputation among her customers of being an incredibly generous barkeep to her favorites and an extremely capable brawler to those that cross her.

Roxy knew little of the League until the night Gragas stumbled into her bar in a drunken rage. As Gragas overturned tables and guzzled down ale that was not his, Roxy's more loyal and foolish patrons threw themselves at the intoxicated behemoth in hopes of halting his rampage. When it became clear that Gragas would not leave peacefully, Roxy slowly put down her bar towel, reached for a few empty beer bottles, and silently hopped over the bar. Knowing from personal experience what would happen next, those customers still in the bar hastily poured out into the streets through whatever route was available, leaving Roxy and Gragas alone in the bar to settle the score. As the dust settled from their chaotic brawl, Roxy picked herself up off the floor, worked her shoulder back into its socket, and wiped the blood from her mouth. With her bar lying in ruins around her, Roxy and her enforcer picked the unconscious Gragas up from the floor and flung him out what was left of the front door. As Roxy slowly turned back to survey the damage to the seedy little bar that she and her patrons had come to call home, she resolved herself to rebuild, no matter the cost. Word quickly spread throughout Valoran that the formidable Gragas had been defeated by an unknown Noxian citizen, and Noxian officials approached Roxy with a proposal: If Roxy agreed to represent Noxus in the League and fight alongside its other champions, anonymous donors would ensure she earned the funds necessary to reopen her bar. As a champion of the League, Roxy exhibits the same control and strength in battle that she exercised as a bartender, happily rewarding those who have proven their loyalty and happily punishing those who have earned her wrath. Though rumors have spread that Roxy has earned more than enough to rebuild her bar, she shows no sign of slowing her involvement in the League.

“Take a look at me. I fear no man. Now Roxy's a different story...” - Gragas, the Rabble Rouser

Appearance

Roxy is tough-as-nails and has the scars to prove it. Her jet black hair is cut short to avoid hair pulling in bar fights, and her arms and chest are covered in tattoos. Her clothing is dark and form fitting, with tarnished steel armor and taught leather protecting her vital areas. Roxy wears brass knuckles and heavy leather boots made for ass-kickin’. Her enforcer is bald and built for bruisin’. He sports a goatee and wears shades, even at night.

Abilities

Passive (Innate): Liquid Courage – Roxy’s presence on the battlefield inspires her allies. Allies gain 2/4/6/8/10/12% attack speed for 3 seconds every time they are affected by one of Roxy’s abilities.

Q: Bar Room Blitz
Range: 850
Cooldown: 1 second
Cost: 30 mana

Passive: In preparation for a fight, Roxy rounds up 1 empty bottle charge every 24/20/16/12/8 seconds (affected by CDR). Roxy can store 3 charges at a time. Each stack of empty bottles grants Roxy +4/6/8/10/12 movespeed. (Empty Bottle stacks are used to activate Roxy's Bar Room Blitz).

Active: Roxy arms an ally with broken bottles, empowering their next basic attack within 5 seconds to cause the enemy target to bleed for 60/90/120/150/160 (+70% AP) magic damage over 3 seconds and applies Intoxication. Intoxication lasts 6 seconds, stacks up to 5 times and increases damage taken from basic attacks by all sources by 2/3/4/5/6% per stack.

W: Lend an Ear
Range: 925
Channel:1.5 seconds
Cooldown: 20/18/16/14/12 seconds
Cost: 70/85/100/115/130 mana

Active: Roxy singles out a champion in need of her attention and unsolicited opinion. After a short delay, Roxy charges toward the target champion. If the first champion Roxy collides with is an enemy, that champion will take 75/110/145/190/225 (+40% AP) magic damage and have their movement speed slowed by 25% for 2 seconds. Enemies affected by Roxy's bleed effect will instead be stunned for the duration. If Roxy’s charge kills the target, the cooldown is refreshed. This ability cannot pass through terrain.

E: Another Round
Range: 425
Cooldown: 10 seconds
Cost: 70/75/80/85/90 mana

[On Ally Cast] Roxy ensures her allies are ready for the next fight, granting a nearby ally 12/18/24/30/36% increased armor and magic resist and +35 Tenacity (stacks with built Tenacity) for 3 seconds.

[On Enemy Cast] Roxy challenges an enemy near her to another round of brawling, causing 70/105/140/175/210 (+40% AP) magic damage. Enemies affected by Roxy’s bleed will also be feared for 1.5 seconds.

R: Last Call
Throw Range: 1100
Knockback Range: 550
Cooldown: 160/125/90 seconds
Cost: 100/150/200 mana

Active: Roxy announces closing time and beings to kick out the rabble rousers. Roxy summons her bar enforcer to her side for 15 seconds. If Roxy's enforcer catches an enemy rabble rouser, he suppresses the enemy for 2/2.5/3 seconds. At any time during the suppression, Roxy can activate her ultimate again to direct her enforcer to throw the suppressed enemy at a target location. If the thrown champion makes contact with other enemy champions, the collision causes enemies in the path of the thrown enemy to be knocked back and take 175/275/375 (+70% AP) magic damage. Collision damage is split among all enemies that are knocked back. Roxy's enforcer can only be used to suppress one champion.

Voice Emotes

Upon Selection

“What are ya drinkin' friend?”

Attacking

“I'm cuttin' you off!”

“Order up!”

“This one's on me!”

“Sit down and shut up!”

“I'll put this on your tab.”

“Pay up!”

“I'll serve 'em, you slurp 'em.”

Movement

“Liquor is quicker!”

“Let's take this outside!”

“I always go down smooth.”

“I'll be with you in a moment.”

“I'll keep them coming.”

“Sorry for your wait.”

“Don't make me come over this bar!”

Upon Last Call Activation

“Have you met my friend?”

Upon Throw 'em Out! Activation

“Get this lowlife outta my bar!”

Taunt

“Looks like you've had one too many...how 'bout another round?”

“We don’t serve your kind here!”

Joke

“You're either drunk or stupid. My money’s on both.”

“There are 99 bottles up there on that wall...take one down, pass it around and I’ll kill you!”

Possible Skin Ideas

- Vandal Roxy (Thematically similar to Vandal Gragas, Vandal Twitch, and Vandal Brand)
- Tavernwench Roxy (Probably an Oktoberfest style skin, lederhosen and all)
- Mixologist Roxy (A hipster Roxy, complete with horn-rimmed glasses and knit hat)
- Cowboy Roxy (Thematically similar to the Coyote Ugly bartender motif)
- Moonshiner Roxy (Thematically similar to Hillbilly Gragas skin)

Changelog:

12/10/12
- Passive: changed from Another Round to Liquid Courage. Liquid Courage now grants attack speed to allied champions affected by her spells. Empty bottle generation mechanic moved to Q as a passive.
- Bar Room Blitz: Physical damage increase removed. Q now generates empty bottle charges on a timer. Additional applications of the bleed effect now stack 5 times rather than increase duration. Damage numbers altered and lowered to reflect the mechanics change.
- Lend an Ear: Roxy now dashes to a nearby targeted champion on activation. Enemy champion targets no longer lose armor and magic resist, but instead have their attack speed lowered.
- On the House/Close the Tab: Allied cast no longer gives bonus mana replenishment, but instead heals the buffed allied champ for a portion of damage dealt by their free spell. Enemy Cast bleed effect bonus fear increased to 1.5 seconds from 1 second.
- Closing Time/Throw 'em Out!: No longer grants bonus attack speed. No longer maxes Roxy's bottle supply.

12/15/12
- Bar Room Blitz: Empty Bottle charge timer numbers adjusted. Now, at 5 stacks of Roxy's bleed, enemy champs are inflicted with Grievous Wounds 50% healing reduction for the duration of the bleed. Stacks grant movespeed rather than mana regen.
- Lend an Ear: Allied effects deleted. Roxy's dash now occurs after a short cast time. Damage added, attack speed slow removed and replaced by armor and magic resist reduction. Stun removed and slow moved to Bleed bonus effect. Roxy can now dash again within a short time frame at the cost of increased cd and mana cost.
- On the House/Close the Tab: Removed. Replaced by Another Round.
- Last Call: Damage increased per skill-up to 175/275/375.

12/23/12
- Bar Room Blitz: Bleed effect no longer stacks. Instead, bleed effect places Intoxication debuff on target, increasing damage taken from basic attacks. Bleed effect damage numbers increased to address loss of stacking.
- Lend an Ear: Roxy can use this ability on any target champion. This skill can no longer pass through map terrain, turrets, or player-created terrain. If an enemy is struck, damage is dealt and the enemy is slowed. Bleed bonus effect reverted to target stun. Cooldown now refreshes if the first champion struck dies. Empty bottle stack generation removed.
-Another Round: Ally cast now increases armor and magic resist rather than granting bonus mana. Enemy cast damage numbers altered. Empty bottle stack generation removed.

12/24/12
-Bar Room Blitz: Passive Empty bottle stack generation timers reduced to account for removal of stack generation effects on Roxy's W and E. Active AP coefficient increased to +70% from +40%.
-Another Round: Armor and MR % bonus increased. AP spell coefficient lowered to +40% from +60%.
-Last Call: AP spell coefficient increased to +70% from +60%

DrJAWz

12-06-2012

I would definitely play Roxy in a match.

XxBuffybotxX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2012

make roxy...make her, i love her. i love her so much. new ap carry, gogogogogog i love her OMG you have no idea! she sounds awesome!

Luninareph

12-10-2012

Absolutely love this champion XD

Lore: Great lore. It feels very realistic, especially for Noxus. I also like how it opens the doors for a lot of interesting lore interactions with other champions. Here's a fairly ordinary woman more or less strong-armed into the League by Noxus' backing. Noxus, of course, has an idea of what she can do, but what do all the high-faluting names in the League feel about being joined by a lowly tavern owner? I can see her getting a lot of flak from people like Lux and Jarvan. It makes her very sympathetic in my eyes on top of already being a BAMF; she's basically an underdog through this lore, albeit the toughest underdog ever. So yes. Love the lore.

Passive: What is it exactly that empty bottles do? Do they supply ammo for Q? I don't see a description of their use anywhere, though I could be missing it.

Q: I really like the extending stacking application of the bleed, although it seems like it would be very difficult to utilize unless she can 1) arm multiple allies in an AOE or 2) cast the skill repeatedly with virtually no cooldown. Assuming one of these two situations, I like how it endorses ally teamwork in coordinating the stacks of the bleed or slamming them on different enemies, based on the circumstances.

W: The semi-Randuin's parallels with the way your Armor and MR affect your targets is nifty. Question: does the Tenacity offered stack with built Tenacity? I assume it does, but since it never stacked on items, you might want to clarify that.

E: This skill feels perhaps a little weak. I really like both of the effects, but unless she's spamming them, they don't seem that effective. When you give the skill a cost and a CD, maybe it will settle better in my mind, but at the moment it's looking maybe a tad on the underpowered side.

R: Hilarious ult, and the enforcer-toss is a pretty cool idea. I'm curious, however, as to the A.I. or control of the enforcer; whether he sticks around after suppressing somebody; and if he does so, how many times he can suppress or throw people.

Roxy would be a buy-on-release for me. Looking forward to seeing how she continues to come together. If you've got some time, I'd very much appreciate your thoughts on my champion entry as well: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...6#post32124256

Good luck in the MCCC

Ieroy

12-10-2012

Major update to Roxy's abilities. Hopefully, these ability changes make Roxy more streamlined and intuitive. Toned down some of her CC abilities and damage numbers. I'd like to know what everyone thinks of her total kit. Are any of her abilities severely underwhelming. Does it have weaknesses that can be exploited by good enemies? I don't want Roxy to be able to to it all. How would you play against her? Is her kit fun for enemies and does it create counterplay? Thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

Ieroy

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luninareph View Post
Absolutely love this champion XD

Lore: Great lore. It feels very realistic, especially for Noxus. I also like how it opens the doors for a lot of interesting lore interactions with other champions. Here's a fairly ordinary woman more or less strong-armed into the League by Noxus' backing. Noxus, of course, has an idea of what she can do, but what do all the high-faluting names in the League feel about being joined by a lowly tavern owner? I can see her getting a lot of flak from people like Lux and Jarvan. It makes her very sympathetic in my eyes on top of already being a BAMF; she's basically an underdog through this lore, albeit the toughest underdog ever. So yes. Love the lore.

Passive: What is it exactly that empty bottles do? Do they supply ammo for Q? I don't see a description of their use anywhere, though I could be missing it.

Q: I really like the extending stacking application of the bleed, although it seems like it would be very difficult to utilize unless she can 1) arm multiple allies in an AOE or 2) cast the skill repeatedly with virtually no cooldown. Assuming one of these two situations, I like how it endorses ally teamwork in coordinating the stacks of the bleed or slamming them on different enemies, based on the circumstances.

W: The semi-Randuin's parallels with the way your Armor and MR affect your targets is nifty. Question: does the Tenacity offered stack with built Tenacity? I assume it does, but since it never stacked on items, you might want to clarify that.

E: This skill feels perhaps a little weak. I really like both of the effects, but unless she's spamming them, they don't seem that effective. When you give the skill a cost and a CD, maybe it will settle better in my mind, but at the moment it's looking maybe a tad on the underpowered side.

R: Hilarious ult, and the enforcer-toss is a pretty cool idea. I'm curious, however, as to the A.I. or control of the enforcer; whether he sticks around after suppressing somebody; and if he does so, how many times he can suppress or throw people.

Roxy would be a buy-on-release for me. Looking forward to seeing how she continues to come together. If you've got some time, I'd very much appreciate your thoughts on my champion entry as well: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...6#post32124256

Good luck in the MCCC
Thanks for your review. I've gone back and done some revisions and ability changes to see if I can't address some of your concerns. I've added a conditional heal to Roxy's ally E cast. I think this adds a nice level of counterplay for enemies who dodge empowered shots and makes E worth putting points into. I'm not sure about cds and mana costs yet. I also hope tooltips are clearer.

Let me know what you think!

Luninareph

12-11-2012

Aha! Yes! This definitely clears up all of my questions, and it's made me even more impressed with the champion

Passive: Good, solid passive. Makes her highly desirable as a babysitter for an ADC and makes total sense with her background and the rest of her kit. Hahaha...Liquid Courage...I love it XD

Q: This skill just seems so satisfying. The idea of chucking your ally a broken bottle to whack somebody with is satisfying. The interplay between it and her other skills is satisfying. The way it further adds to her attractiveness as an ADC's support is satisfying. This is one of those rare abilities that both defines and perfectly fits into the structure of a champion. I think it's great

W: I liked the Randuin's-style buff from the old W, but I think the current incarnation is a lot easier to balance, especially if Roxy builds tanky, so I think you made the right decision with changing it. Glad to see the Tenacity stacks, and I think the enemy interaction for the ability is perfect. I love the addition of the dash. Lack of initiation in her old set-up would have hurt her ability to tank; now she can use the dash to fulfill her support role or her offensive role. Very nice.

E: The heal off the empowered spell was EXACTLY the kind of thing this skill needed. Now it's a much more attractive option overall. My one concern would be, you should probably add that the effect is weakened on AOE spells. If I recall correctly, spell vamp only functions at 33% on AOE spells; this heal should probably do something similar.

R: A combined suppression and toss seems like a great ult. Taking the party-wide buff off the skill was probably a good idea; it's already strong enough. Punting an enemy like that seems hysterically funny, and repositioning an enemy like that is so valuable. Yet she has to put herself in melee danger to use it, and timing the throw to maximize the suppression also seems like a good little challenge to throw in. One question: what happens if Roxy is killed while her enforcer is suppressing? Does the suppression continue to the end of the time, or does it end immediately?

These changes were perfect for this champion; she just looks even more appealing to play than she did before. I love it XD If I lose to you and Roxy in this contest, I will consider your victory well-deserved

Ieroy

12-11-2012

Bump. Looking for constructive feedback on Roxy's over-all kit. I'm worried she just does too much, and doesn't do any of it particularly well. Thoughts?

Ieroy

12-15-2012

Major revisions to Roxy's kit. I want Roxy to excel at engaging and disengaging and supporting a skilled lane partner that can take advantage of Roxy's aggressiveness.

Hoping these changes make Roxy more focused in her role. Still looking for comments on how you think Roxy would feel to play as and also to play against. Does she offer enough counterplay? Does she still do to much?

Katsuni

12-15-2012

I dropped by a for a second since yeu were chatting on my other post, and had requested about whether yeur idea fit the rules =3

I'm not an official judge in THIS MCCC, but I have been in the past, so it should be good enough ^.~

Anyway, for good cheer, yeu give allies broken bottles and bonuses when casting stuff on them, so I'd say it applies.

Another round fits the criteria of naughty or nice, and once again, her Q covers the big old sack! requirement as well.

Overall, there's a lot of leeway in the champion design this time around, and the idea of a friendly barkeep who listens to people's problems is as pleasant an idea as any, and I'm sure there are those out there to which these kinds of individuals are whot keeps them alive and away from suicidal tendencies. It's kind of a nice twist on the idea =3

Regardless, I don't personally see anything particularly outstanding as problematic, and the criteria all seem to be met.

On the individual abilities, there are some things to look into, but it'd be kind of unfair to give too much help =P

Still, look into the thought of her Q's bleed... at 5 stacks it reduces healing; by the time yeu've applied 5 autoattacks as an AD champion, they've probably already been healed by that point, meaning yeu didn't get the advantage out of the grievous wounds. Keep in mind that most of the time, heals are dumped out earlier in a fight, rather than at the last moment. Once, long ago, they were last ditch things because of a big heal pushing someone from 500 health to 1500 easily, now it's more of a "cast it as soon as possible so it's off cooldown faster" and the heals don't do large enough chunks to hold back for fear of overhealing much anymore.

Anyway, keep that in mind, it may help a lil bit on the design. =3