ARE YOU OF THE FEMALE SPECIES

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. 437 19.99%
I'm a manly man. 1,749 80.01%
Voters: 2186. You may not vote on this poll

How many of you are girls?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

davin

Senior User Researcher

12-05-2012
6 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute 42 View Post
Hey davin i'm wondering about the 90% number that was in the LoL infographic released earlier this year. If what you say is correct, and the number is closer to 80% like this survey shows, how did we get that big of a change? What went on there?
The numbers we have from surveys as recent as last week aren't in line with the poll results thus far. I would suggest that this poll is not as accurate as those data, which is to be expected.

Basically, as a sampling tool a forum poll is relatively weak in terms of how specific it'll be--if it gets participation without any systematic selection effects, a poll can be a little more precise, but really your best (reasonably non-crazy logistics) bet with this kind of thing is to do random selection rather than opt-in. When opt-in is necessary (like the forum survey that got posted), going broad and high volume makes it a bit safer, as you can be a little more sure of what the conditions that led a player to respond were like.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Basho

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-05-2012

If you are a female why would you tell people in LOL you are one?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The FireWater

Senior Member

12-05-2012

Welcome to the internet.

Where the men are men.
The Women are men
And the children are FBI agents.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Psycho Pretzel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The FireWater View Post
Welcome to the internet.

Where the men are men.
The Women are men
And the children are FBI agents.
So true.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Absolute 42

Senior Member

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
The numbers we have from surveys as recent as last week aren't in line with the poll results thus far. I would suggest that this poll is not as accurate as those data, which is to be expected.

Basically, as a sampling tool a forum poll is relatively weak in terms of how specific it'll be--if it gets participation without any systematic selection effects, a poll can be a little more precise, but really your best (reasonably non-crazy logistics) bet with this kind of thing is to do random selection rather than opt-in. When opt-in is necessary (like the forum survey that got posted), going broad and high volume makes it a bit safer, as you can be a little more sure of what the conditions that led a player to respond were like.
Thanks for answering my question! Good info


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YuriKitten

Senior Member

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bäsho View Post
If you are a female why would you tell people in LOL you are one?
Why not? Should we be ashamed of our gender?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vana21

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriKitten View Post
Why not? Should we be ashamed of our gender?
It's not a matter of shame or being ashamed, but your gender literally does not matter online, and it shouldn't, and you don't want it to, so why bring it up?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cocacolalips

Senior Member

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by vana21 View Post
it's not a matter of shame or being ashamed, but your gender literally does not matter online, and it shouldn't, and you don't want it to, so why bring it up?
Attachment 568833

If it didn't matter, you would not care, no one would, you would not even comment, that thread would not exist, and I would not have to read that kind of nonsense.
Yet you do??? It must matter a bit HAA

Facts is, gender is taboo. And it's wrong.

I have a dream...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YuriKitten

Senior Member

12-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vana21 View Post
It's not a matter of shame or being ashamed, but your gender literally does not matter online, and it shouldn't, and you don't want it to, so why bring it up?
It does matter. I have no desire to be referred to with male pronouns, and I will correct such references so that people can use the right pronouns.

You're right that it doesn't matter in so far as how well I play or anything like that, but it is still relevant at times, and if people know I'm a female and see me play well, it helps spread the alleviation of the stereotype that girls don't/can't play video games.

Still, it doesn't a matter enough to bring it up randomly. I don't go into champ select and say "Hi, I'm a girl." But I will correct people when they refer to me with male pronouns and other similar situations. Gender is relevant to one's identity, and that identity no less involves gender online than offline. One's gender is just not always as apparent online.

Also, if I do reveal I'm a female (i.e., in one of the situations where I'm being referred to as male) and I start getting harassed for being female, then that's another toxic misogynist getting reported to the tribunal.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BlacklronTarkus

Senior Member

12-05-2012

I'm a girl,grew up with 2 brothers so gaming has always been a thing for me. I never point it out in game though because it doesnt matter as long as you slaughter the enemy