Can we perhaps look forward to a Diana-esque release in the near(ish) future?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DaRatmastah

12-03-2012

I felt like Diana getting released was just such an epic buildup/moment. The forum rumors and codes from IronStylus beforehand, the login music, the cool character introspectives and stuff. She was also one of the last new champs whose lore I actually liked

Any chance we could see another epic, legendary, buildup-style champ soon?

Snakeblade

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

Interesting design release? Or broke as **** mega champion release?

ArmySquirrel

12-03-2012

Regardless of balance concerns, her release was an art form, with an awesome theme song, awesome build up, and awesome design. Sure she was OP on release, but heck, I bought her on release day based on hype before the community realized she was OP. I really didn't care if she was OP or not, I would have bought and played her regardless.

T8te

12-03-2012

I believe that was all Ironstylus. I find it doubtful that we'll get another Leona related champ release in the near(ish) future

swan2swan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

The end of the year champ is getting pretty hyped, and Nami was, too; the champ at the end of the year is going to be an awesome woman, apparently, who is unlike others we've seen.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

12-04-2012
1 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRatmastah View Post
I felt like Diana getting released was just such an epic buildup/moment. The forum rumors and codes from IronStylus beforehand, the login music, the cool character introspectives and stuff. She was also one of the last new champs whose lore I actually liked

Any chance we could see another epic, legendary, buildup-style champ soon?
Not so sure about buildup, I'm not too involved on that end of things at the moment, but if we do things right there'll be a decent amount to chew on for Nami's release. There's a lot of story there, a lot of character, I'm really glad we were able to make her so cohesive. She already has some pretty neat connections to the ladies of my life.. the plot thickens..

In terms of a sorta "viral" super-hype that happened with Diana, I'm not sure that'll be the norm, A LOT of that was actually spur of the moment. Yes, I was hinting at her very indirectly for a while but the "Embrace the Heresy" and "Protect the Faith" factions emerged just about over night. It was hurried and not really standard. I think it was an impromptu prototype, but anything we do from here on out will be better orchestrated, with more forethought and less me running around the internet like a crazy person =)

Diana proved that we could do a lot with not a ton of resources. We just knew the real-estate we had to work with. We happened to use it effectively. Since then teams have developed to handle the rolling out of champions, especially on the story/lore side, similar to what you saw with Elise and the Shadow Isles. That will begin to pick up steam and hopefully make for even more complete and compelling character releases.

pWasHere

12-04-2012

ive heard the next champ after Nami is pretty epic

Lux Veritatis

12-04-2012

We need a parrot champion, IronStylus make it happen!
It would be an epic, legendary... parrot

Arcane Azmadi

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRatmastah View Post
...and then they change the champ's only alternative skin to something completely garbage over the strenuous objections of the overwhelming majority of the community for a really DUMB reason.

Never forgive, never forget.

Enrayged

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Not so sure about buildup, I'm not too involved on that end of things at the moment, but if we do things right there'll be a decent amount to chew on for Nami's release. There's a lot of story there, a lot of character, I'm really glad we were able to make her so cohesive. She already has some pretty neat connections to the ladies of my life.. the plot thickens..

In terms of a sorta "viral" super-hype that happened with Diana, I'm not sure that'll be the norm, A LOT of that was actually spur of the moment. Yes, I was hinting at her very indirectly for a while but the "Embrace the Heresy" and "Protect the Faith" factions emerged just about over night. It was hurried and not really standard. I think it was an impromptu prototype, but anything we do from here on out will be better orchestrated, with more forethought and less me running around the internet like a crazy person =)

Diana proved that we could do a lot with not a ton of resources. We just knew the real-estate we had to work with. We happened to use it effectively. Since then teams have developed to handle the rolling out of champions, especially on the story/lore side, similar to what you saw with Elise and the Shadow Isles. That will begin to pick up steam and hopefully make for even more complete and compelling character releases.
If you wish to have my entirely unprofessional opinion... That's WHY it worked - it was just so unexpected and subtle that it eventually grew to a wildfire.

Of course, I suppose we have yet to see a flawlessly organized champion-hype campaign - I won't count Elise, since that was more like a champion hyping a setting.