Are zoo's morally wrong?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

poe tay toes

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Sized Duck View Post
Well no, we don't really have different morals. It's just what we THINK is moral.

How aren't they wrong? They are taking animals out of their natural habitat to live in a cage.
animals' natural habitats blow. seriously. they have to work for food, many suffer malnutrition, complications from disease or injury can be fatal, they have to deal with their own predators and competitors, and our population always looking to encroach on "their" territory.

Quision

12-04-2012

Quote:
So for your amusement? So me locking up a bunch of mentally challenged kids in a cage for my amusement is morally acceptable, as long as I take care of them?
Yep, make sure to get them helmets.

Fujiou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2012

Zoos aren't usually heinous, but they certainly have the potential to be. I think they're somewhat wrong, but not terribly so.

My local zoo is an animal refuge, meaning they house only animals that couldn't survive in the wild. So I like that.

Bilbosky

12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by poe tay toes View Post
animals' natural habitats blow. seriously. they have to work for food, many suffer malnutrition, complications from disease or injury can be fatal, they have to deal with their own predators and competitors, and our population always looking to encroach on "their" territory.
And this is why we as a race got the hell out of our natural habitat and started molding everything to be the way we wanted it to be.

Horse Sized Duck

12-04-2012

Quote:
Low-income inner city families habitats blow. Seriously. They have to work for food (read steal), many suffer malnutrition, complications from disease or injury can be fatal.

Should we put these people in a zoo where they can eat the proper amount of food every day, but not leave their cage?

poe tay toes

12-04-2012

Quote:
Low-income inner city families habitats blow. Seriously. They have to work for food (read steal), many suffer malnutrition, complications from disease or injury can be fatal.

Should we put these people in a zoo where they can eat the proper amount of food every day, but not leave their cage?
instead of working for food, they can hit the mailbox for food money from the government. instead of suffering from disease or injury, they can hit the er for free healthcare from the government. phones from the government. housing from the government. tv from the government.

sounds like the cages are already there. they're free to leave anytime they choose. large number choose not to.

Quision

12-04-2012

Quote:
So for your amusement? So me locking up a bunch of mentally challenged kids in a cage for my amusement is morally acceptable, as long as I take care of them?
Wait, why are you comparing mentally retarded people to animals?

SummerDaze

12-04-2012

I dont think so. And they bring revenue to our economy. Close zoos we lose jobs. Its us vs them and i like us better. And they help conserve animals on brink of extinction. Before we try to stop zoos lets stops poachers.

Teh holiday beef

12-04-2012

Quote:

Its called jail bro...

Casus125

12-05-2012

Peter Singer: Most of them are, because they confine animals for our amusement in ways that are contrary to the interests of the animals. But if zoos really put the interests of the animals first, and only then find ways for us to observe them, they are not immoral.

Personally: I believe in the finality of evolution. These captured animals should be thankful that we find them useful to keep around, as opposed to just killing them off outright.

Quote:
instead of working for food, they can hit the mailbox for food money from the government. instead of suffering from disease or injury, they can hit the er for free healthcare from the government. phones from the government. housing from the government. tv from the government.

sounds like the cages are already there. they're free to leave anytime they choose. large number choose not to.
You should try all of that and let us know how great it is, I'm sick of working.