"Support is fun" "Support is my main" "I insta call support"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotMixdj

International Community Coordinator

12-03-2012
5 of 7 Riot Posts

Read through the thread a bit and I think that a big problem with the perception of support is that there isn't as much "excitement' playing support as other roles but man oh man do I disagree.

To me, playing as a great support player requires high game IQ and great overall map vision. Riot Tiza and I are botlane bros for life and we talk all the time about matchups and when we can win trades and when we can't.

I love playing support because knowledge is truly power in that role. Oh, blitzcrank just missed a grab? We've basically 1v2 in the lane for 14-16 seconds. Graves just used buckshot to clear a wave? He's got nothing to burst my AD carry down for 6-7 seconds. Ezreal just used arcane shift? He's got no escape for 13-15 seconds. Amumu jungling? Probably don't need to ward river until about 3:30 because depending on our lane comp we can survive a level 2 from Amumu.

it's knowledge like this that tips the advantage to your favor in your botlane matchup. I can't tell you how many times we're been "counterpicked" bot lane and won because of the fact that we know the threshold we need to reach to win straight out trades/all ins.

TL;DR, support is awesome.

Monty Mastini

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMixdj View Post
Read through the thread a bit and I think that a big problem with the perception of support is that there isn't as much "excitement' playing support as other roles but man oh man do I disagree.

To me, playing as a great support player requires high game IQ and great overall map vision. Riot Tiza and I are botlane bros for life and we talk all the time about matchups and when we can win trades and when we can't.

I love playing support because knowledge is truly power in that role. Oh, blitzcrank just missed a grab? We've basically 1v2 in the lane for 14-16 seconds. Graves just used buckshot to clear a wave? He's got nothing to burst my AD carry down for 6-7 seconds. Ezreal just used arcane shift? He's got no escape for 13-15 seconds. Amumu jungling? Probably don't need to ward river until about 3:30 because depending on our lane comp we can survive a level 2 from Amumu.

it's knowledge like this that tips the advantage to your favor in your botlane matchup. I can't tell you how many times we're been "counterpicked" bot lane and won because of the fact that we know the threshold we need to reach to win straight out trades/all ins.

You rarely get any credit as a support and any mistake you make gets amplified. Doesn't matter if you've got 15-20 assists, the kids that play this game only look at kills and deaths. This is probably different in high elo, but like 1% of the population is in high elo.

Anyway, most supports are boring. Janna, Sona, Soraka, Taric... these are all boring.

The best ones you guys have made are Cow and Blitz. They're the only really fun supports.

CommissarTaco

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

LOL @ "support is the easiest role" and "the worst players always play support." Such bull.

You know why I don't call support despite my Taric win rate? Because I'm tired of teams that can't teamfight. At least if I take a different role I can nuke a bunch of people exbefore I die thanks my team having no idea what it's doing. If your team actually knows the basics of teamfights, support is fun. If not, it feels like you're doomed to set them up for engagements that they don't understand how to take advantage of. ex. Taric stun or Sona ult that no one goes in on.

Tigsen

12-03-2012

I'm one of those who main as support. I was in the low 800s ELO, having played pretty much all positions but support. I finally started to understand how vital a good support player can be for a team, so I practiced with Sona (as she is never banned) and then started playing her in ranked. Using Sona as my main, I brought my ELO up into the upper 1000s by the time S2 ended. It was funny on occasion when me and someone else would both call support at the same time... the others on the team were kind of flabbergasted that they had even 1 person *wanting* to play support, much less 2 battling for it. I ended Season 2 with around a 65% win ratio with Sona with over 50 games played with her.

In Season 3 I started early and got screwed by the whole ELO-is-messed-up and dropped in rank. For some reason I had the worst ADCs who just didn't understand how to play. I now will dodge a game if someone doesn't call ADC and instead plays it because they were forced into it. I am of the opinion that a very good ADC with a good support can carry the rest of the team if they are just mediocre, but if you have a bad ADC then it makes it so much harder for the team because not only is the ADC hurting but the Support is, by definition, not going to be doing as well either (not as much gold from assists, etc.).

Oh, I also have started playing Leona, and I have to say I enjoy her immensely. I've been maining her instead of Sona for the last week, roughly. I love the Iron Solari skin for her.

Void2258

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMixdj View Post

The complaints we have aren't boredom. They are under-appreciation, blame, and an inability to solo carry making us completely dependent on luck-of-the-draw-teammates for our ELO ranking.

Nightmare Cage

12-03-2012

I go support almost 80% of my ranked games, playing nunu or taric bot lane is pretty fun, I did played some panth or maokai bot lane, do very fun. People always think suuport is not important and not really taking it seriously.seen a lot sona building archs or some other stuffs, but what is really needed is some speed boost or omen attack speed reduction.
Perhaps u may say why not the jungler go for it but sometimes a jungler like WW do not need to build a shurelia, really contribute to the team playing as support is very fun, and sometimes u win the game by a WOA or omen even Frozen heart.

Mr Wreckz

12-03-2012

i main support and we love our good adc's

Chadderton

12-03-2012

I main support. I don't call lanes though, but I am always happy when no one wants it. Spoon feeding your ADC is the best feeling.

gimeyop

12-03-2012

I stopped playing support because just tired of getting blamed by every little thing. Supports take risks when they ward and I don't know if people understands that... I don't usually ward when there's nobody on the map but if your team's pushing and tells you to ward your jungle alone. You're a support with no escapes, and if you get caught, it's all your fault. Now I main top,mid,jungle,adc and ori/morg support (don't own zyra) cuz they're the safest for me to brush check and running away. But yeah... riot you need to buff supports a bit. For starters, give them an escape: janna's fine, better MS on sona, add MS for taric ult, take away soraka Q and replace with arcane shift or something (I don't fken know), let leona's e have the potential to jump to ally champions. Stuff like that to make supports less of a scapegoat for the other 4 people that have no clue how to play this game on your team.

Rico Devega

12-03-2012

I have played support for the past few months (I think I got thrown Jungle once). Personally, I love it... I don't care that my ADC goes 16/2 and I get none of the credit... or that I go 0/6 keeping as much of my team alive as I can and get blamed for feeding. I don't care that I can't carry the game... I enjoy helping other people carry it for me. I love enabling things!
I don't know about other support players, but what makes Support enjoyable to me is that I can have 100% faith in my laning partner, as well as the rest of my team, that we can win. My Ezreal just miss a skill shot? Bad luck, that guy moved in a way you didn't predict. I just died trying to get my Graves out of a gank I pinged was coming? Sorry, I should have given you more warning! ^_^. My jungle just tried to gank the lane and resulted in the enemy adc getting a triple kill and double buffs? lol, oh well, we'll just have to be careful.
But that's all because Support goes beyond warding and standing invisible in a brush looking intimidating. Anything skill based pulls a LOT from confidence. Yes, I may know that Ezreal's missed q was flung at a creep he was already killing, or that Graves had been pinged by the entire team to run away... or that I had expressed I wished not to be involved in a fight against their bottom lane, given the levels and items of all present... I may know that this player is not as good as my last adc, or maybe my next, but I don't need to tell them that. All I need to say is "You can do it! I believe in you!" Except in much less lame terms. I've seen enough games turned around because the team stopped yelling at each other to know that, as someone who's not going to win this on their own... stopping the fighting and encouraging good plays is sometimes the best support I can give ^_^