"Support is fun" "Support is my main" "I insta call support"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sines314

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-02-2012

I usually duo-queue with someone who loves support. I then volunteer to pick up whatever role no-one wants. I thus end up playing Jungle almost every game.

I don't hate jungle, but I do kinda get sick of it myself :P

RiotMixdj

International Community Coordinator

12-02-2012
2 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxieto View Post
what's your fav. support?
Love playing Blitzcrank (but he's been permabanned for like the last 2 months). Leona/Taric (only pink taric though)/alistar/zyra

Void2258

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menea6587 View Post
Not exactly.
Here's the caveat:
Supports work by making openings and making plays. However, if you can't do either of those things, you can at least make them wider with your kit. That pretty much means that you belong where you are at currently. HOWEVER, in the former explanation, that requires your TEAMMATES to exploit the weaknesses you have made in the enemy's team. They can choose not to do that and make your play meaningless.

More knowledgeable players will see these plays and act on them more frequently as elo increases.

In other words, climbing the elo ladder is exponential for supports; you chance of victory increases with every victory until you hit your true elo and stay there because you're not making the plays nearly as much anymore.
There is an inflection point on that graph. Below a certain ELO, most players DON'T take your openings, so no matter how good you are at making them you still lose more games than you win. The lower your ELO, the less influence you can have on a game as support.

Unfortunately, that inflection point is somewhere in the low gold/high silver region, meaning anyone who is a support main and has anything but absolutely stellar luck in their placement matches starts losing exponentially more often, which starts a vicious cycle of having to play to make your carry survive instead of get him kills. Basically you need to do something else until you get high enough or you never get high enough to win more than you lose.

As a support player you are essentially forced to duo, as it is the only way to know your ADC is good. Unfortunately the lower the ELO the less people respect duo lane requests, leading to more dependance on luck. Also meaning that you get stuck being unable to play unless your friend wants to, leading to frustration because you want to play and no one is around.

GasPoweredSt1ck

12-02-2012

I'm completely willing to play support if I know that my partner is competent. Supports can be very rewarding, but when I can't do anything in my lane, it aggravates me and I feel useless for the rest of the game since I have no items and will just explode.

Menea6587

12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMixdj View Post
Love playing Blitzcrank (but he's been permabanned for like the last 2 months). Leona/Taric (only pink taric though)/alistar/zyra
Not sure why, but I woulda pegged you as Shen support.

Cerubus

12-02-2012

I'm a support main, but in ranked its very difficult to climb elo.

Kamai

12-02-2012

I loved playing supports, and the kind that get players through the chaos they create, not the hyper-aggressive ones, at that. I've just been avoiding playing supports in normals lately because I'm actually starting to run into other support mains, and I know I need to be better at other stuff.

Reprisal35

12-02-2012

I usually play with a group of 9 people (allows for almost constant premade 5's or customs 5v5), and we surprisingly have 2 dedicated supports who always complain when they dont get support...

I sometimes play support if no one else wants it, but it's not really my style. I am however looking forward to S3 support play style with all the new items being introduced. Maybe we'll get to see some more unorthodox supports like Yi, or Wukong (both of which work surprising well as a harass support currently).

EHLozenges

12-02-2012

I feel like a lot of them end up being way higher in elo because they know how the game works

SLRMercedes

12-02-2012

a message from Siv HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aea9IQlNphU