@Lyte Job Questions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ms LadyDelicious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojodarkale View Post
I wish I could do the exact same thing as you, Lyte. Same interest in the field =p. I'm just a Biology major at my university, although I later realized I'm more interested in the intersection of biology and psychology than either of them alone =/.

Maybe one day I can be a part of the Riot team!
Couldn't you possibly focus more on the Biology of the Brain? You could also possibly minor in Psychology or completely switch your majors which would be a pain but hey its a suggestion. :P Good luck thou

CragBlade

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
At Riot, we've been wondering if there is an interest for some of our scientists and researchers to do a career AMA. We're always interested in scientists for potential internships or jobs and this really is a dream job for any scientist who is interested in big sets of data and the potential to do experiments in a 'living' game.

Although my college background was in Cognitive Psychology, my PhD was in Cognitive Neuroscience and I specialized in cognition and perception. At a high-level we investigated questions like: how is vision represented in the brain and consequently, how does visual perception influence human behaviors? One of the most fascinating things about vision and cognition is that we actually process a lot of visual information that can directly influence our behaviors and actions without us even realizing it. statuskwoh, RiotSeb and myself lead the player behavior team at Riot and we do manage systems like the Tribunal, Honor and LeaverBuster. I hope it's been obvious that we aren't done with player behavior yet and are brainstorming new experiments to do after Honor.

I play League quite a bit. Majority of my games are Ranked and I locked in just over 500 Ranked games in Season 2. My favorite champions vary from season to season but I have been playing Kayle a lot lately.
This is actually what I'm going into for my degree path. Could you go into more detail about how Cognitive Psychology interacts with Video Games, and more specifically League of Legends?

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

12-01-2012
2 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojodarkale View Post
I wish I could do the exact same thing as you, Lyte. Same interest in the field =p. I'm just a Biology major at my university, although I later realized I'm more interested in the intersection of biology and psychology than either of them alone =/.

Maybe one day I can be a part of the Riot team!
Our designers actually have quite diverse backgrounds; for example, we have designers who were formerly scientists, lawyers and statisticians and even used to be professional writers!

Technical expertise is a mandatory requirement in some fields of game development but when it comes down to it, being able to critically think about problems while being pragmatic is a skill that is always valuable--not just to game developers but any company. I don't view "Biology" as a blocker to joining the Riot team; the question is, "How can I apply what I learned in Biology to creatively solve problems at Riot?"

Claw of Time

12-01-2012

Lyte is the batman as Pendragon is Robin

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

12-01-2012
3 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms LadyDelicious View Post
In the near future, when I am farther along in my studies, if I was to be looking for an internship at Riot how would I go about doing so? If you don't mind me asking.

Btw good luck in your ranked games, hopefully maybe I can do a game with you! If not that's totally fine as well. ^.^ Thanks again.
There's many ways to pursue internships. First, we have a LinkedIn Riot Group where a lot of information is posted about becoming a Rioter:

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Insid...e-Game-3544410

You can send me (lyte at riotgames dot com) or Zileas (zileas at riotgames dot com) an e-mail if you have questions about interning for Game Design. Zileas is our Director of Game Design and knows the intern/hiring process better than I do.

EDIT :: Link fixed.

mambawarrior0

12-01-2012

Quote:
this really is a dream job for any scientist who is interested in big sets of data and the potential to do experiments in a 'living' game.
Not biased at all.

Cha0sniper

12-01-2012

Quote:
There's many ways to pursue internships. First, we have a LinkedIn Riot Group where a lot of information is posted about becoming a Rioter [http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=3544410].

You can send me (lyte at riotgames dot com) or Zileas (zileas at riotgames dot com) an e-mail if you have questions about interning for Game Design. Zileas is our Director of Game Design and knows the intern/hiring process better than I do.
*cough* Broken link.

RedTruth

12-01-2012

Quote:
I play League quite a bit. Majority of my games are Ranked and I locked in just over 500 Ranked games in Season 2. My favorite champions vary from season to season but I have been playing Kayle a lot lately.
Kayle is basically the face of the Tribunal. You and your team developed the Tribunal. Does this have anything to do with the relation between vision and behavior you were talking about? :P

FlatCap

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw of Time View Post
Lyte is the batman as Pendragon is Robin
false. lyte is batman. pendragon is the punisher.

Squippit

12-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha0sniper View Post
*cough* Broken link.
^