Two Years and this is still an unfixed, And known issue, Fix it.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DingoRabiit

12-01-2012

So Riot, Two years ago you said that you would fix the surround sound issues.
You have not done so.
Two years ago, the Riot staff acknowledged that LoL has issues with surrond sound, And that they were working to fix it. Well, I feel that they have Lied.

League of Legends is currently the #1 played MMO, and yet stereo audio is the only supported format? Are you kidding me? I have a Vast array of audio equipment, and unless i Tailor everything directly to the needs of LoL, I cannot properly bind the game audio to my 7.1, And even when i do, It sounds horribly distorted and sounds are even freaking MISSING from the game

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ad.php?t=75304
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2224444
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2580035
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2382814
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2286371
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1789386

I am very astounded that you cant create >2 speaker support over a Two Year time span
It is absolutely revolting to see that you are Not Working On This.

Please proove me wrong, I dont want to hear "we are working on it" or "we are aware of the issue and are trying to fix it" or "we have been busy elsewhere"

I want to hear things like "here is an audio testing video of us trying 4.0 speakers"
Or "we are understaffed and cannot comply with the need to fix bugs that wont gain us income, it is much better to put our work force into making a new champion every three weeks to generate income rather than fix BUGS"

Please do provide some PROOF that you are working on it, Many, Many times i have read the empty promise of "we are working on surround sound"
Please, Come on, Its been two years and you dont even post news about your "really hard work"

I have harsh doubts that you even have someone working on this issue.

DingoRabiit

12-18-2012

KerBUMP

SlVIR

12-18-2012

amen, there is a reason this game is #1 and its because the dev teams are excellent, but why do they fail on small stuff like this.

Art department is giving more skins to kat and fiddle when hero's like sion and sivir look like they were done by a high choo student overnight.

DingoRabiit

12-24-2012

HELLO RIOT?!? Its soon to be a THREE YEAR LONG problem.
When are you going to fix it?

I WOULD LIKE TO USE MORE THAN TWO SPEAKERS WITHOUT EMULATION PLEASE

Wheat By Product

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-25-2012

Unfortunately, your problem seems to be on the backburner.
People don't really use speakers for this game anyway, team play is best coordinated through headsets, as that's the simplest, and one of the clearest ways to hear a teammates' voice.

LeOracle25

12-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisamier View Post
Unfortunately, your problem seems to be on the backburner.
People don't really use speakers for this game anyway, team play is best coordinated through headsets, as that's the simplest, and one of the clearest ways to hear a teammates' voice.

There's headsets that support 7.1 Surround Sound...if you haven't heard...and if you haven't noticed...headsets use speakers as well...what do you think goes over your ears...

Hakari L

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoRabiit View Post
So Riot, Two years ago you said that you would fix the surround sound issues.
You have not done so.
Two years ago, the Riot staff acknowledged that LoL has issues with surrond sound, And that they were working to fix it. Well, I feel that they have Lied.

League of Legends is currently the #1 played MMO, and yet stereo audio is the only supported format? Are you kidding me? I have a Vast array of audio equipment, and unless i Tailor everything directly to the needs of LoL, I cannot properly bind the game audio to my 7.1, And even when i do, It sounds horribly distorted and sounds are even freaking MISSING from the game

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ad.php?t=75304
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2224444
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2580035
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2382814
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2286371
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1789386

I am very astounded that you cant create >2 speaker support over a Two Year time span
It is absolutely revolting to see that you are Not Working On This.

Please proove me wrong, I dont want to hear "we are working on it" or "we are aware of the issue and are trying to fix it" or "we have been busy elsewhere"

I want to hear things like "here is an audio testing video of us trying 4.0 speakers"
Or "we are understaffed and cannot comply with the need to fix bugs that wont gain us income, it is much better to put our work force into making a new champion every three weeks to generate income rather than fix BUGS"

Please do provide some PROOF that you are working on it, Many, Many times i have read the empty promise of "we are working on surround sound"
Please, Come on, Its been two years and you dont even post news about your "really hard work"

I have harsh doubts that you even have someone working on this issue.
The game doesn't have surround sound support and that is kind of unacceptable for a game today just because every other game have it.
HOWEVER, it's not a major issue for a number of reasons:
- Since it's overhead and your camera is zoomed in so close, most standard surround sound solutions won't help you to locate sound anyway. This is because everything is supposed to be happening in front of you and not around you. Your standard surround sound solutions that only uses volume cues to locate sound won't work for this type of games.
- Even if they did support it with a standard audio engine, it would sound mostly identical to existing hardware and software features that play a stereo source through a surround sound system. Namely you would be able to locate an audio source in the horizontal axis better when it is in between the L and R speakers. But when that is the case you can see the source on your screen anyway.
- Sound positioning doesn't matter as much in this game. The only time you would need it is probably during Noc's ulti or inside Grave's smoke. They usually last so short and your camera is zoomed in so close you don't have time to use sound locating effectively.
- As mentioned above, I don't know what "vast array of audio equipment" you are talking about but to my knowledge even your standard on-board sound cards will have features that simulate surround sound with stereo sources. If you're using a Creative sound card you can also use the CMSS-3D thing which works pretty good for a universal feature. If you're using other sound cards they mostly have some kind of Dolby technology that do similar things. Maybe you should try those out instead of some kind of manual channel mixer.

DingoRabiit

12-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakari L View Post
The game doesn't have surround sound support and that is kind of unacceptable for a game today just because every other game have it.
HOWEVER, it's not a major issue for a number of reasons:
- Since it's overhead and your camera is zoomed in so close, most standard surround sound solutions won't help you to locate sound anyway. This is because everything is supposed to be happening in front of you and not around you. Your standard surround sound solutions that only uses volume cues to locate sound won't work for this type of games.
- Even if they did support it with a standard audio engine, it would sound mostly identical to existing hardware and software features that play a stereo source through a surround sound system. Namely you would be able to locate an audio source in the horizontal axis better when it is in between the L and R speakers. But when that is the case you can see the source on your screen anyway.
- Sound positioning doesn't matter as much in this game. The only time you would need it is probably during Noc's ulti or inside Grave's smoke. They usually last so short and your camera is zoomed in so close you don't have time to use sound locating effectively.
- As mentioned above, I don't know what "vast array of audio equipment" you are talking about but to my knowledge even your standard on-board sound cards will have features that simulate surround sound with stereo sources. If you're using a Creative sound card you can also use the CMSS-3D thing which works pretty good for a universal feature. If you're using other sound cards they mostly have some kind of Dolby technology that do similar things. Maybe you should try those out instead of some kind of manual channel mixer.
You have an alright point, But imagine if you will that the games "origin of sound" came from where you champion is, simmilar to how the game functions when holding down spacebar. if the sound was oritented such as this, it wouldnt be hard to program surround sound.

The statement that "its not a major reason" I disagree with, But for differant reasons.

Here is my (quickly tossed togeather) comparison of surround sound and stero.

<LoL Stereo sound> Works alright, But you can only have Two properly functioning speakers due to LoL not having support for more,

<LoL Stereo emulated into surround> Using various methods, You will get various errors, Distorted noises, Overloud and muted sounds, Missing audio peices entirely such as the auto attack noise

<LoL with built in stereo> You would have "7.1" speakers playing correct unaltered audio and you could hear what direction threats are coming from, This would aid in "cluster fights" when you cant really see anything. It would also aid in the players ability to dodge incoming projectiles such as Mystic Shot, Or Javelin Toss since a player would hear wich direction the projection is coming from, And could have a chance at dodging based upon sound.

Its not the need for working surround sound so much as it is the need for MORE THAN TWO CORRECTLY FUNCTIONING SPEAKERS

DingoRabiit

01-03-2013

Necrobump

CyberTootie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-08-2013

In all fairness to Riot I think most of the more critical issues arising from surround sound are introduced by drivers, filters and hardware. My experience with surround sound in LoL has led me to the conclusion that the sound engine does output surround sound, but in an illogical way. It treats surround as if the speakers are placed vertically rather than horizontally. If I surrounded my screen with eight speakers it would be a quite epic LoL setup and work quite well.* Alas, most sound systems aren't set up that way and surround sound typically means rear speakers rather than height.

The way surround works now is great, but only in the rare instance described above and it isn't configurable for the vast majority of users who don't use an unconventional speaker setup. Personally, I would like to see the functionality stay for when I do get the urge to setup my sound system that way for kicks and giggles, but to be configurable so I don't have to change my system's sound to stereo every time I play LoL.

*I have not as of yet tested LoL output with anything higher than quad to confirm this statement.