Hi, I'm Griftrix, Let me explain my job title

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FancySheep

11-30-2012

Dear lord Griffy, please let me just be your pet or owner. Can you atleast say my tuxedo is nice?

Claw of Time

11-30-2012

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yma Sumac

11-30-2012

hello

are there any plans for Riot to monitor animation quality creep?

the new champions get crisp quality animations and have virtually 0 delay.

Older champions like GP and morde take 1 year to cast spells and to register an auto attack, it's the only thing preventing them from scaling into late game

Tortferngatr

11-30-2012

Hi Griftrix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotDamiya View Post
Griftrix once designed a function.
If what RiotDamiya says is true, then as a high school student coder I must ask you:

Was your function f(x)'s general antiderivative F(x)=(not^2)/2+(a^2)/2-d*cos(r)+C, where "not," "a," and "r" are variables and "d" and "C" are constants?

Please don't take this like the range (over the real numbers) of y=-(x^2)-1. I really like Riot and want to work there someday!

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

11-30-2012
88 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortferngatr View Post
Hi Griftrix!

If what RiotDamiya says is true, then as a high school student coder I must ask you:

Was your function f(x)'s general antiderivative F(x)=(not^2)/2+(a^2)/2-d*cos(r)+C, where "not," "a," and "r" are variables and "d" and "C" are constants?

Please don't take this like the range (over the real numbers) of y=-(x^2)-1. I really like Riot and want to work there someday!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. I have never heard a bad math joke. You get a +1.

Auryiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancySheep View Post
Dear Griff,

Please allow me to pet you like you are my dog. I know sheep cannot own dogs, but I want to feel like I do. I don't think you're a dog; moreso a rabbit.
Do you find this guy unsettling?

I think he's kinda funny

Sayath

11-30-2012

Hello dear engineer,
I finally found one fine specimen of your rare, endangered species. At least it seems that way to me.

Getting ahold of one of you is way more troublesome than you can imagine. Baiting Morellos / Xypherouses / Zileases / Meddlers is an easy task. I even managed to catch a Hippalus (◆◆◆ 2k upvotes for All-star Akali - NA -> EUW transfer ◆◆◆). My persistance was indeed rewarded. However, on my quest to crawl into the red lair I have yet to succeed. Hippalus told me he cannot share contact information (which is understandable). So I am back again for more.

I know that the bug / PBE forum hold whom I seek. However, I do not want to disturb my prey in their natural environment (might need to reconsider this - afterall, I regularly contribute bug reports).

I do know that you are an Animation Engineer - so if you cannot / may not (I might be asking business secrets - I'm sorry) answer, I do understand:

Onto the questioning of the subject:
Pre-text: If you have no idea of the topic (I don't blame you!), do you know somebody that does? A summoner name is all I ask. I can perform the summoning.

1) Hadoop
What kind of a setup are you using (Hive / Pig / Crunch)?
Do you employ a cluster of your own and / or use Amazon Web Services?
Whatfor do you use it? I guess for business intelligence / player behaviour (Lyte). Do you also employ it for more real-time tasks (I know it's usually used for batch processing, but it is possible to handle real-time jobs)?
Do you contribute back on the job?

I recently got into Hadoop and I'm really liking the whole mapreduce concept. I even got some small contributions of my own in (planning to expand on that).
It kinda lines up with my other interests [Petrinets, Processalgebra, Multicore Programming (OpenMP, MPI)].

2) Platform engineering
As far as I am concerned this is also a field of great interest. I know you guys use Erlang and Java EE. I guess the main areas are gonna be summoner profile (history), shop, chat, matchmaking into game creation and redundancy / failover. What kind of challenges do you face here? The major one being scalability of course. Would you care to elaborate what kind of design patterns you use to improve the performance / stability of the cluster? What do you think of Scala in this area? (What kind of cluster architecture do you use?)

3) Internships (Yes, I read this)
Do you take on interns from overseas (Germany here)?
Which rioter do I have to annoy / convince?
What would be an example task for an intern in the Hadoop area?

The quick rundown on myself:
- Excellent Computer Science (B. Sc) student [top CS grades (clean 1.0), good math (~2.0)], third semester (Universität Augsburg)
- Secondary degree in Economics (B. Sc) in part time, finished sometime during my CS master (Fernuni Hagen)
- Planned master in Software Engineering (this)
- ~1900 ELO last season (EUW)

4) 3 monitors...

Quote:
Depends on the code change. Also, I use 2 computers with 3 monitors at work, so I can multitask pretty effectively.
Just like I do. I use a laptop as the second device though.
Do you also use Eyefinity / the Nvidia alternative to couple them?
Have you ever tried playing LoL on all three? If not, check it out! A guide can be found here (second post).

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

11-30-2012
89 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayath View Post
Hello dear engineer,
I finally found one fine specimen of your rare, endangered species. At least it seems that way to me.
I'm sorry to say I don't have any info about your 1) 2) and 3). It's just not the areas I touch at all.

4) That's cool! No, I don't use those coupling things. I have 2 mice and keyboards.

SpiritHacker

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Right now I'm trying to get back to 1200. I dropped as low as 990, and am currently 1057.
Wow, a Rioter whose elo isn't 9001 more than mine :O Any chance we could possibly duo together sometime? I'm somewhere in the 1100-1200 range atm (still doing placements, ended last season at roughly 1100 IIRC) and also working on climbing a bit.

Claw of Time

11-30-2012

Open condom storeee