Hi, I'm Griftrix, Let me explain my job title

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lugignaf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2012

What is the most "difficult" tech that we've seen that either, you've designed or helped in and what's it being used in right now?

CancerousCell

11-30-2012

hey grif

who do u want to win IPL5?

Caks

11-30-2012

Since i know you came to this Café in Paris where i often be, you've become my fav' Red.
Not interesting ? Who cares !

Way to go bro'

* bro fist*

Eleshakai

11-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
I like 3rd person games more than first person because I can see what my avatar's body is doing, which makes me feel more real (in real life, I know where my feet are without looking, in a game, I do not).
Ya know, that is a sentiment I've often tried to express to people... but never found the words. Thank you for that, I will be using that because that's exactly what I've felt regarding third person but never been able to put into words.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

11-30-2012
84 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBK View Post
Dear Griftrix,

I'm sure this question has been answered about a hundred times, but it's a long list. I am 20 years old and about to start college. My passion is video games...pretty much everything about them. I have been playing video games since I was four years old, and by "playing video games" I mean I have played a good four to eight hours a day every day....forever. In fact my day is not complete until I get at least one video game in. I am a connoisseur of sorts, I love every type of video game, from sports to rpgs, shooters, action-adventure, racing...if it has a category I'll play it...and even if it doesn't I'll look into it.

I have decided that Video games are my passion and my life and I would like to choose a career that involves video games. Eventually I want to start my own company just like Brandon Beck and Mark Merrill did; where I can make my own games and put my unique ideas out there. See, My father was a construction worker, and through him I've learned that you can't expect people to do work for you that you aren't capable of or willing to try and do yourself. With that philosophy in mind I have decided to start my grand adventure in the world of animation.

My problem is I just plain don't know where to get started. What do I major in? What do I use to animate stuff? How do I turn billions of numbers and letters into lines, and turn those lines into people and places and music and amazement that is the modern video game?

Now I'm not asking you to run my life Mr. Trix. I would just like to know....where do I start?!?
Start with XSI mod tool (it's legal and free and a professional tool with just a different license) and start visiting animation forums. The 11 second club is once place where you can work on your chops and get some feedback. After college, consider some art graduate programs in digital animation. It's a good way to improve your breadth of knowledge. You will probably want to major in digital art and take classes on anatomy. Also, I highly recommend you try dance or gymnastics and martial arts to improve your understanding of human motion.

Most importantly, make self improvement the highest priority. On the weekends, animate. After school, animate. Make it your entire life, seek out professional critiques and feedback. If you have the proper drive you will be able to do well.

Good luck!

Griftrix

11-30-2012
85 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caks View Post
Since i know you came to this Café in Paris where i often be, you've become my fav' Red.
Not interesting ? Who cares !

Way to go bro'

* bro fist*
Tape bar is the best bar! I usually had "duff' there, but also had le grim.

Griftrix

11-30-2012
86 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerousCell View Post
hey grif

who do u want to win IPL5?
This might sound cheesy but it's 100% true. I want more than anything to see close games that go into multiple matches where there are no stomps. Those are the best to watch because they have tension and upsets. I want to see teams play their best, and I want to see players get their signature champions so we can see how hard they rock with them.

FancySheep

11-30-2012

Dear Griff,

Please allow me to pet you like you are my dog. I know sheep cannot own dogs, but I want to feel like I do. I don't think you're a dog; moreso a rabbit.

NJ Gamer

11-30-2012

what elo are you aiming for this season?
~if any~

Griftrix

11-30-2012
87 of 96 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Gamer View Post
what elo are you aiming for this season?
~if any~
Right now I'm trying to get back to 1200. I dropped as low as 990, and am currently 1057.